• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 43 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 21, 2012
Visit site
Vino attacks everyone said:
Once again Kirby is doing a brilliant job as the Eurosport commentator. 10/10
Like so many artists, Kirby is waay ahead of his time.

"Evans is far behind, this doesnt bode well for Contador who is not a good time triallist"

10 minutes later

"Let there be no doubt about Contadors time trial abilities"

incredible.

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I signed up to this forum just to express my amazement at the awfulness of the commentators on Eurosport.

The Basque finish was comically inept, but pretty much every race I've seen this season has been similar.

Prediction, followed by prediction being proved wrong. Analysis, followed by analysis being proved wrong. Commentary, followed by commentary being proved wrong.

It's very funny, but I suspect that isn't the intention.

Aug 5, 2012
Visit site
sfdoddsy said:
I signed up to this forum just to express my amazement at the awfulness of the commentators on Eurosport.

The Basque finish was comically inept, but pretty much every race I've seen this season has been similar.

Prediction, followed by prediction being proved wrong. Analysis, followed by analysis being proved wrong. Commentary, followed by commentary being proved wrong.

It's very funny, but I suspect that isn't the intention.

Welcome.

10c

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
I was shouting at the screen when they kept calling Kwiato the winner because they'd missed the intermediate sprint, where Contador was 7 seconds ahead.

Also, the whole time they're going on about Evans's chances to podium as if it were a lock, and they've barely said anything about TvG the whole race, when in the end, TvG finished just ahead of Evans.

Jesus christ that was something today. Contador was 2nd on the intermediate, in front of Kwiatkoski, they saw it because they ****ing made a mention of it when it came on screen and then they started acting like Contador was going to lose and like he needed to go faster in the 2nd section.

They then spent much of the 2nd half talking about how close it was going to be and when Contador came over the line in pretty much the exact time expected they went "oh my god, where did that come from". :rolleyes:

The Hitch said:
Jesus christ that was something today. Contador was 2nd on the intermediate, in front of Kwiatkoski, they saw it because they ****ing made a mention of it when it came on screen and then they started acting like Contador was going to lose and like he needed to go faster in the 2nd section.

They then spent much of the 2nd half talking about how close it was going to be and when Contador came over the line in pretty much the exact time expected they went "oh my god, where did that come from". :rolleyes:

Matt Stephens needs to get it into his head that Kirby is a complete idiot and automatically question everything he says. He allowed himself to be carried along by the idiot today.

JRanton said:
Matt Stephens needs to get it into his head that Kirby is a complete idiot and automatically question everything he says. He allowed himself to be carried along by the idiot today.

Stephens must be in a weird position though. When Kirby starts talking about Sagans future gt victories, most of us (not me personally, I find it to entertaining) would want to punch Kirby in the stomach to make him shut up. But since they are live on the air, and he doens't want to make to much of a scene he has to go along with the Kerbs to keep him happy.

The Hitch said:

I wonder whether Stephens wasn't more to blame. Kirby is essentially obliged to keep talking. If there are only the two of them there (I assume they don't have any other staff present other technicians necessary to maintain a stream) he has limited chances to keep across all the data (though he shouldn't be totally ignorant f it). If Stephens had taken it upon himself to scribble down some times and point them out to Kirby, they could have avoided making such daft comments.

Who knows, by actually using the evidence in front of them, they could even have sounded remotely intelligent and informative.

Armchair cyclist said:
Kirby is essentially obliged to keep talking.

This is the problem. The guy has to fill dead air while some guys are pedaling their bikes interspersed with helicopter shots of ... guys riding their bikes... and make it interesting.

You want miserable? I was passing some time watching and old P-R with Phil and Paul talking over the race and it was insufferable on top of OLN's bizarre camera choices. They may as well have talked over a tractor pull contest.

If Kirby could go back in time and fix his mistakes, would the collective opinion be any better?