• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 40 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
It was a bizarre call for the Sprint. The finish was won by the race leader in the leader's jersey, who was favourite for the stage, and had won yesterday. He arrived unobscured. How does he miss it? He was focussed on Howard, who was miles back.

The Hitch said:
This. I don't get the hate on Quigley. Compared to Kirby he's a cycling expert.

I would strongly disagree with that - DQ seems to get his knowledge from wikipedia whereas Carlton can converse and recall about events from many years ago to engage the pundit.

The other (and perhaps more important) thing that separates them is DQ's dreary delivery is drained of any enthusiasm or passion and in a long race like MSR or one lacking action, the effect is soporific. People need to be engaged by what is being said. Bored and annoyed is worse than annoyed.

It's sad that Harmon and Eurosport have parted company (and it has been obvious this was the case since the winter when he revealed he hadn't been contacted by them, meanwhile the other commentators confirmed their forward bookings on twitter) but life goes on.

The king is dead - long live King Carlton! :p (or failing that Rob Hatch).

argyllflyer said:
I would strongly disagree with that - DQ seems to get his knowledge from wikipedia whereas Carlton can converse and recall about events from many years ago to engage the pundit.

The other (and perhaps more important) thing that separates them is DQ's dreary delivery is drained of any enthusiasm or passion and in a long race like MSR or one lacking action, the effect is soporific. People need to be engaged by what is being said. Bored and annoyed is worse than annoyed.

It's sad that Harmon and Eurosport have parted company (and it has been obvious this was the case since the winter when he revealed he hadn't been contacted by them, meanwhile the other commentators confirmed their forward bookings on twitter) but life goes on.

The king is dead - long live King Carlton! :p (or failing that Rob Hatch).

Leave it out, Kirby the most annoying, irritating, grating voice on TV, constantly wrong I find him an embarrassment, just cant listen to him anymore and have for the 3rd day had to watch without sound, shame as I appreciate Backstedt's contribution. I know Duffield, Harmon, Liggett and Sherwin got and get lots wrong, but at least they didn't and don't spoil my viewing.

EUROSPORT please rid me of this clown Kirby (for your channel I pay way over the odds using a UK box abroad) he just ruins my cycling enjoyment when involved.

My dream pairing for what its worth the excellent and knowledgeable Daniel Lloyd with Matt Stephens

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Swiss Tony said:
Leave it out, Kirby the most annoying, irritating, grating voice on TV, constantly wrong I find him an embarrassment, just cant listen to him anymore and have for the 3rd day had to watch without sound, shame as I appreciate Backstedt's contribution. I know Duffield, Harmon, Liggett and Sherwin got and get lots wrong, but at least they didn't and don't spoil my viewing.

EUROSPORT please rid me of this clown Kirby (for your channel I pay way over the odds using a UK box abroad) he just ruins my cycling enjoyment when involved.

I couldn't agree more. After 3 days of guff I must have shouted "f**k off Carlton" at the tv at least five times. He treats viewers as if they are watching cycling for the first time. Yesterday he was laughing at J Rod being known as Purito, laughing that it is Spanish for Little cigar and he'd "explain all" tomorrow, perhaps. Like we don't already know this about one of the most famous riders currently racing... Do me a favour!!

Commentary should enhance a viewers knowledge, adding insight and analysis that the audience is unable to pick up for themselves. Kirby does none of these things, instead spewing out an endless conveyer belt of cliches, bizarre puns, wrong ID's, mistakes, oversights, unfunny jokes, irrelevant observations and a complete lack of ability to read what is actually happening during a race.

I would never wish anyone ill fortune and people have the right to make a living but cycling fans deserve better, much better than this!

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Who's on E3 right now? Dan Lloyd and Rob Hatch? They're doing an excellent job, not too excited that Thomas is in the lead group and praising Devolder's chasing.

The fact that there was more chat about Ben Swift's 3rd in MSR than the winner was really annoying!

Bumeington said:
Who's on E3 right now? Dan Lloyd and Rob Hatch? They're doing an excellent job, not too excited that Thomas is in the lead group and praising Devolder's chasing.

The fact that there was more chat about Ben Swift's 3rd in MSR than the winner was really annoying!

I sort of understand the annoyance at patriotic commentary (in case of Eurosport it seems to center on all English-speaking riders as their commentary is probably sold to all English-speaking countries) but trust me, it's far better than what the NOS comes up with. After Smeets sort of left (he was annoying, but not that patriotic), there are now two guys who really only care about Dutchies. Actually they aren't even able to recognize foreigners apart from Contador and Froome and they will never ever talk about them. If someone puts in a spectacular attack, they won't focus on the attack or who attacks but will only pay attention to what's going on behind the attack, if they can spot the Dutchie inevitably dropping of the back. The only exception to this is Maarten Ducrot. He's not that knowledgable and he is kind of stuck in his own idea but I think he is very funny and he is the only one that doesn't care about nationality first and foremost. All I'm saying is that Eurosport could be worse.

Rider identification, which to me is the most important qualification for a commentator is uniformly shocking.
Slow at best; today we regularly had the "name of team" rider does this or that.
Best of all was Quigley calling Sep Vanmarcke, Robert Wagner.

With the constant ad breaks, I ended up staying with Sporza, which is so far superior, it's like comparing OPQS to Belkin.:D

Mellow Velo said:
Rider identification, which to me is the most important qualification for a commentator is uniformly shocking.
Slow at best; today we regularly had the "name of team" rider does this or that.
Best of all was Quigley calling Sep Vanmarcke, Robert Wagner.

With the constant ad breaks, I ended up staying with Sporza, which is so far superior, it's like comparing OPQS to Belkin.:D

No number was visible; no other riders were in shot for perspective as to whether the rider was 6'1" or 6'3"; they wear identical kits; no on screen information as to where the footage was in relation to which group on the road; stationary, so no analysis of riding style possible; image had been on screen for a very short time. Why was this such an appalling error? If it is intolerable to identify a rider simply by name of the team, and there is such sparse evidence, is an educated guess that unreasonable?

Making rider identification something that can be done with greater confidence is a service to viewers that the sport really needs to look at.

I watched the Catalunya replay on Eurosport and that's the first and last time I'll listen to Kirby this year. He is bafflingly ignorant.

How is it possible that that he thought Mezgec was sprinting with 1km to go? Forget about rider identification, basic common sense should be enough to work out that it wasn't him. :confused:

RE Patriotic Commentary:

The Danish batch are generally pretty good at being neutral. They'll do a quick run-through of potential Danish riders at the start of the broadcasting, and maybe cheer a bit extra for the Danes, but it's not like they only talk about the Danes.
Wouldn't leave them much to talk about anways...

RE Rider Identification:

I'd say our guys are fairly good. For more obscure riders they may use the "Rider from Team X" way, but if it's more 'important' riders they generally get it.
However, the prize has to go to Rolf Sørensen, commentating for TV2. Seriously, I've frequently seen him identify a rider even though the camera was only showing parts of his legs.

Armchair cyclist said:
No number was visible; no other riders were in shot for perspective as to whether the rider was 6'1" or 6'3"; they wear identical kits; no on screen information as to where the footage was in relation to which group on the road; stationary, so no analysis of riding style possible; image had been on screen for a very short time. Why was this such an appalling error? If it is intolerable to identify a rider simply by name of the team, and there is such sparse evidence, is an educated guess that unreasonable?

Making rider identification something that can be done with greater confidence is a service to viewers that the sport really needs to look at.

I knew straight away who it was.
Why would another Belkin rider be waiting for a lowly domestique?
An educated guess you say.

RedheadDane said:
RE Patriotic Commentary:

The Danish batch are generally pretty good at being neutral. They'll do a quick run-through of potential Danish riders at the start of the broadcasting, and maybe cheer a bit extra for the Danes, but it's not like they only talk about the Danes.
Wouldn't leave them much to talk about anways...

RE Rider Identification:

I'd say our guys are fairly good. For more obscure riders they may use the "Rider from Team X" way, but if it's more 'important' riders they generally get it.
However, the prize has to go to Rolf Sørensen, commentating for TV2. Seriously, I've frequently seen him identify a rider even though the camera was only showing parts of his legs.
I agree. The main problem is that they don't show (even) more races.

Jul 24, 2011
Visit site
i'll throw in a couple of riders he also had trouble recognizing this year..

Michael Schar
Robert Kiserlovski
STIJN DEVOLDER?! (he was probably doing some shoegazing/soulsearching at the time cos that one is almost too good to be true..)

guess what Declan? those riders have those weird *** colourful jerseys for a reason! they dont just.. like colours

TRENDING THREADS