• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 41 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
T-Nielsen said:
No that wouldd be terrible. That the last champ wears number one etc. is part of an important tradition.

******** to tradition when it's for tradition's sake. Defending champions do not always enter the following year anyway. It's increasingly a televised sport compared to say 20 years ago, but more can to be done to engage with the audience.

TourOfTexas said:
Today during E3 he called Cancellara "The Swiss Champion".

T-Nielsen said:
No that wouldd be terrible. That the last champ wears number one etc. is part of an important tradition.

T Nielsen helpfully illustrates the fact that 'champion' has more than one application: Cancellara is Swiss and was, at the time of that comment, the champion/holder of that race title.

So, reserving '1' for any possible previous champion entering a race has a greater worth than giving every other rider (maybe a few hundred others in that race and thousands across the pro peloton) a number that can be put permanently on all their kit allowing easy identification? It's a farce having to rely on a wee ticket at the back of a bike that may or may not be visible in shot and a number that in more than a few races is covered by a gilet or rain jacket.

Even some riders themselves are on record saying pinning a number on every morning is ridiculous in this day and age. It is something that would instantly improve TV commentary.

But no, it's important to be sure who the champion was a year earlier on one occasion than who everyone else is at an immediate glance for the other 280 days or the racing season.

Aye right.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I said it before, Declan is more at home in motorsport. That's more his expertise when he was the pit lane reporter for F1 before later going on to the be the main commentator over here. To be fair he was fairly good in this role. I remember he covered the Tour for a bit for the Irish Times but it wasn't his main sport of knowledge.

This is just his second season commentating full time on the sport and his rider ID isn't the best at the moment but it's still is improving compared to the start of last season when he did MSR with Backstedt. I think with the more races he commentates on, it could get better and better over time. Even if it's not up to scratch now at least I do see some progression on last year. Compare it with Kirby who's been at it for a lot lengthier period and he's still as bad as he ever was.

I remember Harmon starting out and taking over bit by bit from David Duffield and Mike Smith where he had his faults too. I think he was coming from motorsport as well and his knowledge and rider ID came on significantly as the years went on.

Armchair cyclist said:
You could tell that quickly that he was waiting for a domestique rather than a car?

Noooo, there was a domestique waiting in front of him, while he got sorted by the mechanic.
i.e. the norm for the team leader.

Clearly, ridier ID is an issue, given the recent posts.
What the best solution would be is a debate in itself.

gooner said:
I think with the more races he commentates on, it could get better and better over time. Even if it's not up to scratch now at least I do see some progression on last year.

There was a fair bit of improvement last year between the first few stages in the Giro and the latter ones. So he'll probably get better. Although whoever is on with Kelly really needs to make an effort to get him talking and I'm not sure how good Quigley is at that.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
I was just looking at my TV guide to check Sky Sports for next weekend's football and surprising came across that they are showing Flanders live next week on Sky Sports 4. The coverage starts at the same time as Eurosport - 11.30.

There's a choice there at least. I think Robert Hatch does the international commentary for this and I would guess he would be on Sky's coverage. I probably stick with them if this was the case as his commentary is on another level altogether to Kirby.

Last year I remember they had a 90 mins show on the race in the evening and was expecting similar on this occasion.

I'm trying to keep a log of who does what this year for anyone interested:

Dubai: Quigley & Smith
Oman: Kirby (solo)
Andalucia: Hatch & Stephens
K-B-K: Hatch & Stephens
Le Samyn: Kirby & Smith
Langkawi: Hatch (first week) / Quigley (last few stages) (both solo)
Strade Bianche: Hatch & Smith
Roma Maxima: Quigley & Smith
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
Tirreno-Adriatico: Quigley & Stephens
Milan-Sanremo: Quigley & Kelly
Catalunia: Kirby & Backstedt
E3 Harelbeke: Quigley & Stephens
Criterium International: Quigley & Stephens

Kirby has already stated on Twitter that he is doing all the big spring classics and the latter grand tours for Eurosport, all with Sean Kelly.

gooner said:
I said it before, Declan is more at home in motorsport. That's more his expertise when he was the pit lane reporter for F1 before later going on to the be the main commentator over here. To be fair he was fairly good in this role. I remember he covered the Tour for a bit for the Irish Times but it wasn't his main sport of knowledge.

This is just his second season commentating full time on the sport and his rider ID isn't the best at the moment but it's still is improving compared to the start of last season when he did MSR with Backstedt. I think with the more races he commentates on, it could get better and better over time. Even if it's not up to scratch now at least I do see some progression on last year. Compare it with Kirby who's been at it for a lot lengthier period and he's still as bad as he ever was.

For me where Quigley needs to improve (apart from rider recognition) is his ability to make the flatter, duller stages more interesting. I enjoy him much more the busier the stage - E3 with Matt Stephens was good. I enjoyed him on the all-action Tour Series on ITV4, again with Matt Stephens. When the action is not there, he cannot as yet engage the ways that Harmon / Hatch and I suppose Kirby in his own way all do.

ferryman said:
Once again, I thought Matt Stephens was excellent today. Good insight from an ex pro perspective but also very up to date with facts and figures of all of the riders.

best comm team hatch is decent and stephens is very good, rider idenfication was only an issue due to numbers changing for a few late and the startlist I had had same numbers.

I've changed my mind on Kirkby. He is to me like an old pullover on a windy day - not trendy, not great, but a comfort. I dont care that he gets thing wrong as I know enough to identify the riders usually myself. I like his enthusiasm, and in watching over several hours that is needed. Also have enjoyed Matt Stephens this year - when asked if he ever had his bike decorated he said he once had a sticker with "Matt Stephens" on it.

Avoriaz said:
I've changed my mind on Kirkby. He is to me like an old pullover on a windy day - not trendy, not great, but a comfort. I dont care that he gets thing wrong as I know enough to identify the riders usually myself. I like his enthusiasm, and in watching over several hours that is needed. Also have enjoyed Matt Stephens this year - when asked if he ever had his bike decorated he said he once had a sticker with "Matt Stephens" on it.

I was amused by his comment on Westra 'signing out' after a hard day which Maggy stuck a pin in by saying "no, that's dope control he's signing the form for." Maggy and Kirby not a good pairing - MB doesn't seem to get poor old Carlton's sideways glance at proceedings.

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
manafana said:
kirby is good for during lulls in stages always has a story or tit bit, but when its business time others are preferred.

Exactly! Which is why, during the GT's, Kirby was confined to the Eurosport 'dungeon' so he could liven up dull stages with trivia and his slightly bonkers view on things. Something that he is actually pretty good at and dare I say it, I quite enjoy on a 5 hour flat stage across Brittany'

But when it came to the actual racing it was always a case of 'ok, thanks for that Carlton, same time tomorrow... right, lets get serious now'

I am just amazed that Eurosport think that Carlton's lead commentary is acceptable.

Apr 2, 2014
Visit site
hi

my enjoyment of this year's races has really been affected by the bad commentary.

notably the guy who is normally partnered with Sean Kelly now. he's so dry and offers nothing.

i'm really missing Harman but would rather listen to Kirby and/or Smith than that new guy...Quigley is it? just seems a fish out of water

The updated commentary pairings so far in 2014:

Dubai: Quigley & Smith
Oman: Kirby (solo)
Andalucia: Hatch & Stephens
K-B-K: Hatch & Stephens
Le Samyn: Kirby & Smith
Langkawi: Hatch (first week) / Quigley (last few stages) (both solo)
Strade Bianche: Hatch & Smith
Roma Maxima: Quigley & Smith
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
Tirreno-Adriatico: Quigley & Stephens
Milan-Sanremo: Quigley & Kelly
Catalunia: Kirby & Backstedt
E3 Harelbeke: Quigley & Stephens
Criterium International: Quigley & Stephens
Three Days of De Panne: Kirby & Smith
Tour of Flanders: Kirby & Kelly
Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Stephens

Coming Up (from @carltonkirby and @robhatchtv):

Paris-Roubaix: Kirby & Stephens
Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly
Tour de France: Kirby & Kelly
Vuelta a Espana: Kirby & Kelly

Portuguese Eurosport commentator Paulo Martins said live (and I'm quoting here), when adressing Michelle Cound's tweets on Contador, that ''Froome gives the impression he doesn't have an hand (meaning he doesn't control) on his girlfriend''.

The worst thing is he said this with extreme naturalness.

Absolutely shoking. Complete idiot. Main commentator Luis Piçarra even tried to change subject.

BigMac said:
Portuguese Eurosport commentator Paulo Martins said live (and I'm quoting here), when adressing Michelle Cound's tweets on Contador, that ''Froome gives the impression he doesn't have an hand (meaning he doesn't control) on his girlfriend''.

Absolutely shoking. Complete idiot. Main commentator Luis Piçarra even tried to change subject.
What's the problem? :confused:

They're a couple and he's famous. What she does reflects on him. You don't think Obama (if he needed, which I doubt) would have a hand on his wife, so to speak?

Netserk said:
What's the problem? :confused:

They're a couple and he's famous. What she does reflects on him. You don't think Obama (if he needed, which I doubt) would have a hand on his wife, so to speak?

Problem is, in this case it isn't so to speak.

It's wasn't like that and not that simple. I can't really put it in English. The way he said it, he meant that Froome (should) own Michelle.

BigMac said:

???

The problem is she's become some kind of PR hack for Froome. That kind of dual relationship is messy in the best of circumstances. Unfortunately, she is terrible at the PR job and seems to think taking personal offense is a legitimate way to dismiss doping allegations.

TRENDING THREADS