• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 42 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
BigMac said:
Portuguese Eurosport commentator Paulo Martins said live (and I'm quoting here), when adressing Michelle Cound's tweets on Contador, that ''Froome gives the impression he doesn't have an hand (meaning he doesn't control) on his girlfriend''.

The worst thing is he said this with extreme naturalness.

Absolutely shoking. Complete idiot. Main commentator Luis Piçarra even tried to change subject.
Saying "Paulo Martins is a complete idiot" is kind of like saying "water is wet". He is absolutely appalling in more or less every facet of his job and has been for years.

Libertine Seguros said:
Saying "Paulo Martins is a complete idiot" is kind of like saying "water is wet". He is absolutely appalling in more or less every facet of his job and has been for years.

I had only experienced his idiocy on cycling related subjects. That and his constant bashing on the grammar.

happytramp said:
So according to his tv show/segment Lemond is doing eurosport commentary on Roubaix and the Tour. That's usually Kelly's stuff so is there a new arrangement or is he doing it for a different country?

Perhaps they are doing a three-way commentary. Sean and Greg commenting the same race should be fun.

happytramp said:
So according to his tv show/segment Lemond is doing eurosport commentary on Roubaix and the Tour. That's usually Kelly's stuff so is there a new arrangement or is he doing it for a different country?

He has a fourth place in P-R on Wikipedia and did very well at the Tour of Flanders, never winning. So, he might have good color commentating.

Is this on Eurosport's British broadcast?

On Le Mond again, it was mentioned during yesterday's stage that it will be Kirby and Stephens for P-R. No suggestion of GLM's involvement though he does have his own show post-race. And no Sean Kelly either.

Haaving done a bit for ITV4 in previous years, Stephens getting a much more prominent role on Eurosport this season. It was suggested up the thread he's doing main comms for California? He's very listenable which is vital in a TV commentator or summariser.

I also noticed this week that Rob Hatch has confirmed himself for the Giro on Eurosport.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Some more Carlton Kirby classic commentary at al Pais Vasco today,

"Contador the meerkat,he's always dancing on the pedals wanting to see what's going on up ahead"

"Bob Jungels is descending brilliantly,think i'll call him Mr Bojungels"

I'm paraphrasing but one gets the gist,i am starting to warm to this cheery humorous uncle,accuracy isn't his thing but god he's entertaining and Matt Stephens is there to correct things.Kirby's preferable to Declan Quigley for me.

Tournesol said:
I'm paraphrasing but one gets the gist,i am starting to warm to this cheery humorous uncle,accuracy isn't his thing but god he's entertaining and Matt Stephens is there to correct things.Kirby's preferable to Declan Quigley for me.

He doesn't talk above or below viewers either.

Kirby passes the time very well. That's a very difficult job to do and without a doubt gets things wrong, and badly so sometimes. But it's **live** commentating. Mistakes happen.

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
DirtyWorks said:
He doesn't talk above or below viewers either.

Kirby passes the time very well. That's a very difficult job to do and without a doubt gets things wrong, and badly so sometimes. But it's **live** commentating. Mistakes happen.

I agree with your post entirely DW.Only a skilful broadcaster can pass the time well.

Tournesol said:
Onto the ignore list.
Armchair cyclist said:
Perfect pronunciation is not expected, and often sounds like an affectation if it does not come naturally and confidently off the commentator's tongue.

But honestly: 'Halejandro Valverde'?
Yeah I heard that too lol.

Still better than how ligget pronounces it - alessandro leon Sanchez:rolleyes:

elfed68 said:
I've just watched a repeat of the 2013 Paris - Roubaix and heard Carlton describe Damien Gaudin, he said he adopted the Thomas Telford approach to bike riding.

Pure gold Carlton, keep them coming!

One of David Harmon's last races was the 2013 P-R, assuming the commentary you are referring to had Sean Kelly summarising. So not down to CK that one.

TRENDING THREADS