• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 90 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Alberto Fishwick said:
Louis Meinjes, I'll be bound.

Little Louis Meinjes,,,'who made a terrible mistake leaving Dimension data and Brian Smithy (who were nurturing him) to go to Lampre ' another team in the Kirby I can't be bothered with this shower of losers so I won't even call their name if one of their riders attacks/wins

Hence little Louis Meinjes is spoke of no more

Re:

wansteadimp said:
Matt Goss and Tyler Farrar used to be favorites that got picked for every sprint stage.

And yesterday Samuel Dumoulin again after all these years. He often throws weird and sometimes outdated prediction on sprint stages, especially in the absence of top dogs, Goss(y), Farrar, Dumoulin, Chicchi, Ferrari, Cimolai and of course none of them win.

There is now a separate Twitter account where his fans (so there must be some) post what they consider to be his best bons mots. This can only serve to increase his belief that he is doing a good job.

The prospect of listening to him for three weeks during the Tour fills me with increasing dread but it's the only way to hear King Kelly's contribution. Rob Hatch is doing BBC radio, I believe.

Re:

Alberto Fishwick said:
There is now a separate Twitter account where his fans (so there must be some) post what they consider to be his best bons mots. This can only serve to increase his belief that he is doing a good job.

The prospect of listening to him for three weeks during the Tour fills me with increasing dread but it's the only way to hear King Kelly's contribution. Rob Hatch is doing BBC radio, I believe.

Whats the name of the Twitter account?

Re: Re:

rune1107 said:
Alberto Fishwick said:

Whats the name of the Twitter account?

@SaidCarlton

And there you have it... oh my...

Today Carlton completely missed the Contador split, failed to notice Froome moved up to 2nd, failed to notice Contador's lead went down to 4 secs from 9, seemed to imply Slagter is a sprinter, and then said of Alaphilippe (his new favourite)'s sprint: "what a feat of sprinting, recovery, nous and... everything else".

I watched the Eurosport coverage and they were off air around 5 minutes after the finish - All we got was the top 10 in the stage and then the coverage finished - So I an unsure how Kirby on air could have known FROOME was second on GC and failing to notice the split - None of this stuff was available.

Strange that both kirby and STEPHENS discussed all possible contenders for the sprint - Effectively mentioning at least one rider from each team - But it's all Kirby's fault.

Re:

yaco said:
I watched the Eurosport coverage and they were off air around 5 minutes after the finish - All we got was the top 10 in the stage and then the coverage finished - So I an unsure how Kirby on air could have known FROOME was second on GC and failing to notice the split - None of this stuff was available.

Strange that both kirby and STEPHENS discussed all possible contenders for the sprint - Effectively mentioning at least one rider from each team - But it's all Kirby's fault.

He (or Stephens) could have seen the split because they had live pictures of the race. Many people not getting paid for their expertise managed to see the splits. There were also multiple replays of the finale, which also showed the splits. No mention from Kirby (or Stephens). It was all available. No excuses. Instead we got 5 more minutes of Kirby saying whatever happened to come into his head.

Re:

yaco said:

I watched it on Eurosport player, Kirby saw the top 10 GC, read out Contador, Froome and Porte, and then commented that Alaphilippe's time was a bit too close to Contador based on his and Stephens' calculations (clearly only accounting for the 6 bonus secs and not the additional 9 split secs). He briefly mentioned there must have been a split, but that the committee would probably revoke it so it didn't matter. So he saw the top 10 but as I said before, failed to identify Contador as having been caught out in the split, failed to notice Froome and Porte swapping places, failed to notice the new smaller time between 1st and 2nd place, and only made a comment about Alaphilippe's time, because he's so besotted with him.

TMP402 said:
yaco said:

I watched it on Eurosport player, Kirby saw the top 10 GC, read out Contador, Froome and Porte, and then commented that Alaphilippe's time was a bit too close to Contador based on his and Stephens' calculations (clearly only accounting for the 6 bonus secs and not the additional 9 split secs). He briefly mentioned there must have been a split, but that the committee would probably revoke it so it didn't matter. So he saw the top 10 but as I said before, failed to identify Contador as having been caught out in the split, failed to notice Froome and Porte swapping places, failed to notice the new smaller time between 1st and 2nd place, and only made a comment about Alaphilippe's time, because he's so besotted with him.

My Eurosport coverage finished when the stage top 10 flashed on the screen round five minutes after the finish, so I'll accept your world.

I couldn't tell definitively whether there was a split at the finish, as juries can be inconsistent in their interpretation of this rule - We only have to look at yesterday's stage when there was a dispute whether there should be a 4 second split, which was debated on this forum.

Reckon you are obsessed with Kirby's commentary - He adds color to the proceedings , though he can be off when diagnosing races during commentary - What he is excellent at is accurately covering the end of stages, especially hectic finishes.

How about the Eurosport commentators in 2015 who twice called the wrong winners of stages.

yaco said:
Reckon you are obsessed with Kirby's commentary

Not really. It's just that I tuned in for the last 7km today and found more things annoying in his few minutes of commentary than I have found annoying in all the other sports commentary I've heard so far in 2016. People defend Kirby as juggling names, events, strategy and so on and adding excitement to sprint finishes, and I agree it's a tough job and he does add some excitement in sprints, but I would suggest Formula One commentators do the same sort of thing for the same sort of time and manage not to come across as clueless about their sport or unprofessionally fixated on the fortunes of dark horses and rank outsiders.

TRENDING THREADS