• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 97 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I think we should hold a competition on how many times Sean Kelly says 'yes, weel, we ken seee heeer tat' and then repeats what Kirby has just said. 14 stages so far, I reckon 1500 odd.

In fairness, I don't understand why they are told by the producer to talk - incessantly. I just like the pictures and Paul used to read out about the castles and churches, etc. I like that too.

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
I've just watched the ITV4 summary programme and the commentary of Boulting and Millar on the final climb was simply brilliant, compared with the the Eurosport one. Boulting had remembered who had gone ahead from the break and so could name them as they were passed by the pursuers.

The ES couple were floundering most of the time. It's unfortunate, as both ES men are very nice people, but it just was so.

Sep 3, 2016
Visit site
Comparison with british Eurosport isn't such a reason though. I recently started to watching spanish rtve translation and found it out far more enjoyable although I understand only few words in spanish lol

Off topic slightly but BIKE have been using the Eurosport freelancers this week - Quigley doing Fjords and Matt Stephens today doing Brussels. Got to say, MS is (for me) one of the most listenable commentators out there. Wonder if he'll do TOB for them. I see from the tv guide that it's Hugh Porter and Brian Smith on ITV4. I predict an overdose of 'Manx Express' comments.

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
barmaher said:
I usually stick up for the guy, but he has gotten a lot worse at calling sprint finishes.

My guy screwed up, no doubt about it.
But he immediately owned up and apologized for his mistake.
I don't blame the guy for taking a nap after trying to fill hours of dead air. Granted, he chose the wrong time to fall asleep,
That said, name another older cycling commentator who hasn't screwed up after calling several years of cycling races. Moreover, name one person who wouldn't fall asleep at the helm now and then.
Let's face it, folks. Most bike races are boring to watch.
I don't like Carlton Kirby he is just annoying but at least Eurosport don't have these fools on the salary list PHIL LIGGETT AND POUL SHERWIN they are the dumbest in all commentary and should be banned from every TV-station.

Portuguese Eurosport is the pinnacle of bad commentary. Give me Kirby or Liggett any time, at least the latter's got a sexy voice.

Having to hear a stubborn and arrogant Luis Piçarra and a drunk Paulo Martins is just unbearable. I simply mute it these days.

Re:

InterestedSpectator said:
I've just watched the ITV4 summary programme and the commentary of Boulting and Millar on the final climb was simply brilliant, compared with the the Eurosport one. Boulting had remembered who had gone ahead from the break and so could name them as they were passed by the pursuers.

The ES couple were floundering most of the time. It's unfortunate, as both ES men are very nice people, but it just was so.

Totally agree....I watched the entire stage on Sunday on Eurosport as itv4 didnt show it....I then watched the itv 4 highlights and it was in another league - Millar is so good at telling you what the riders are thinking, being told on race radio etc etc

Kirby is so devoid of any information apart from the geography of the stage - well he was a geography teacher so is fully qualified to commentate on pro-cycling :confused:

As for Kelly I think his day is done - leave it to Rob Hatch, Backstedt etc.

Re:

BigMac said:
First Kirby intervention on the GP de Wallonie broadcast is about how the riders are going through a beer region and how he loves beer.

Edit: 10 minutes in and he just tipped Reichenbach for the win. You can't make this stuff up.

I think something needs to be done with this monumental eejit. Destroyed so many stages of the Vuelta for me...called all the wrong riders in finishes and hadn;t a clue what was going on

BUt of course there are loads of people blowing smoke up his a'''

Kirby is an insufferable moron.

How in the world can you spend as much time as he does commentating on cycling and be so unknowledgeable about the sport. He's clueless, completely and utterly clueless. If only we could have coverage with ambient noise or race radio instead of his verbal diarrhea.
I'm approaching my wit's end with him. I know I shouldn't let it bother me so much but why, oh why, can eurosport not just hire someone with a *** clue!

Well it ain't British Eurosport's error instantly that their original cycling commentator is dead (went in pension first) while the other allegedly turns out to be a pedophile. They've had enough years to hire someone new with a clue about cycling instead of Kirby though ...

German Eurosport's lucky that Karsten Migels has become the German voice of cycling. Once he's gone they've got the same problem as the Anglos or the NOS after Mart Smeets stopped commentating the bike races live.

TRENDING THREADS