• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 99 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So what is the story with coverage this year for UK / Irish viewers?

From the Eurosport website, it appears they are showing the TDU this year. I seem to remember it was on Sky Sports last year.

I assume Eurosport is showing most WT races again this year? I know some years they didn't show the Tours of Switzerland and Romandie, but I think that they showed the former last year.

It's probably a bit early to know what will be shown and where, the only certainty is that Kirby will still be Eurosport's preferred commentator. :mad:

That said, there is a good deal going for Eurosport Player until 31 January, at least in the UK. You can get a year's subscription for £19.99 instead of £59.99. I took the month-by-month option last year but it still cost me over £30 for the months I was interested in having it. This is a steal.

Re:

barmaher said:
So what is the story with coverage this year for UK / Irish viewers?

From the Eurosport website, it appears they are showing the TDU this year. I seem to remember it was on Sky Sports last year.

I assume Eurosport is showing most WT races again this year? I know some years they didn't show the Tours of Switzerland and Romandie, but I think that they showed the former last year.

The list on the ES website is just the main racing events of 2017. They won't show a fair whack of it. TDU is on BIKE.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Some of this races were broadcasted only on the british version.
The most funny thing is that Tre Valli, an italian race, wasn't broadcasted here in Italy.

Not even on Italian TV? ES has regional rights. For example, the Tour of Britain was shown live on UK TV (ITV4) but was shown elsewhere in Europe on Eurosport.

Usually the races that are shown on Eurosport Germany SD are the ones they've got paneuropean rights for. Because that's actually the former Eurosport International version which is still free-TV. Although it misses the English commentary feed of the good old Eurosport International version of Astra analog.

Re: Re:

argyllflyer said:
Nirvana said:
The most funny thing is that Tre Valli, an italian race, wasn't broadcasted here in Italy.

Not even on Italian TV? ES has regional rights. For example, the Tour of Britain was shown live on UK TV (ITV4) but was shown elsewhere in Europe on Eurosport.
Highlights on Raisport in the evening like the majority of italian races outside RCS (and Gran Piemonte), only Trentino and Emilia was shown live.

Tour of Britain was on Eurosport last time in 2013 in Italy, last three editions was on Bike Channel and during a stage Savoldelli said that they have rights at least until 2019.

From last year list in Italy Eurosport didn't broadcast also Cadel Evans Race, Tour of Oman (was on Bike Channel), Velothon Wales, Tour de Suisse (was on Bike Channel), Worlds (were on Raisport) and Saitama Criterium.

Re:

StephenC2020 said:
Kirby is an insufferable moron.

How in the world can you spend as much time as he does commentating on cycling and be so unknowledgeable about the sport. He's clueless, completely and utterly clueless. If only we could have coverage with ambient noise or race radio instead of his verbal diarrhea.
I'm approaching my wit's end with him. I know I shouldn't let it bother me so much but why, oh why, can eurosport not just hire someone with a **** clue!

Hello? Moderator, are you there? Anyone home?!
Please give a life-time ban to the person who wrote the derogatory comments directed toward my man Kirby.
This is an outrage!
Kirby is a legend among mere mortals, and he deserves to be protected from the ramblings of those who have no idea what it takes to add narrative to a bike race.
#iheartkirby.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

argyllflyer said:
British Eurosport also have Valencia live next week and highlights of the Herald Sun Tour.

Some might not be able to see it. Or for that matter the whole cycling season.

This includes Eurosport.

C3Cq63EWQAItaGa.jpg

Keep calm. It ain't as horrible as it sounds. Since Eurosport becomes the home of Olympics they're splitting with Sky as well in Germany. Which means that Eurosport 1 HD finally has become a free-tv channel again. Or at least it's visible with any standard HD-TV option now. This actually includes all of the Discovery Channels now (DMAX, TLC, Eurosport). Probably that's their new global business politic. Which means British Eurosport HD should be on the normal UK spotbeam sooner or later as well as in the standard HD packet of your local cable provider that also includes ITV HD.

Re:

staubsauger said:
Keep calm. It ain't as horrible as it sounds. Since Eurosport becomes the home of Olympics they're splitting with Sky as well in Germany. Which means that Eurosport 1 HD finally has become a free-tv channel again. Or at least it's visible with any standard HD-TV option now. This actually includes all of the Discovery Channels now (DMAX, TLC, Eurosport). Probably that's their new global business politic. Which means British Eurosport HD should be on the normal UK spotbeam sooner or later as well as in the standard HD packet of your local cable provider that also includes ITV HD.
I suppose we can only wait and see. What really annoys me is that Sky haven't had the decency to tell their customers directly and no mention of reducing their fees of course. Their blurb about what you can watch on their other channels doesn't even mention cycling. No one appears to be answering their phones or live chat either.

Re: Re:

Nirvana said:
argyllflyer said:
Nirvana said:

Highlights on Raisport in the evening like the majority of italian races outside RCS (and Gran Piemonte), only Trentino and Emilia was shown live.

Tre Valli Varesine was live on Rai 3

TRENDING THREADS