• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 102 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Hatch is by far best, but I would take Kirby over Quigley any day. At least Kirby can compensate his lack of knowledge with solid play by play commentary and generally not being boring. Quigley has nothing.

I don't have problem when commentator can't pickup riders instantly, what irritate me when they talking nonsense and both Kirby and Quigley are guilty of it more often than not.

Re:

PunchingRouleur said:
Hatch is by far best, but I would take Kirby over Quigley any day. At least Kirby can compensate his lack of knowledge with solid play by play commentary and generally not being boring. Quigley has nothing.

I don't have problem when commentator can't pickup riders instantly, what irritate me when they talking nonsense and both Kirby and Quigley are guilty of it more often than not.
In the grand tours Kirby I find is better than Quigley but if it's just week long or one day races, he is better. It may have been his first (and only (I think)) grand tour commentary but the 2013 Giro with Quigley was not the nicest commentary pairing with him and Kelly. I have nothing against irish accents, it was just his presentation. Rob Hatch and Sean Kelly in the past three Giri were fine. I would much prefer that duo at the Tour and Vuelta (keeping the odd input from Jon Harris Bass at grand tours).

I enjoy Kirby's commentary when it's live Tour de France, the breaks away, the pelotons just rolling through charming little villages and there's over 100 Kms to go.Then he can fill in the time with anecdotes about where he used to work and restaurants he's eaten in as the countryside goes by.
He drives me mad when he constantly miscalls riders. There was one race when he must have said 10 different names for the one rider charging up to the finish. I thought I'd remember it forever but now can't recall what race it was, anyone remember it?

I quite like the Danish commentators, even if the Bay-Holm pairing sometimes disolves into complete geekdom of discussing what cleats which teams used in the 90es, as well as Bay's (jokingly) insistence that Holm's job as a DS for Quickstep is just a "sidejob".

For me the problem is the "behind the scenes" people. Apparently Eurosport in Denmark, and perhaps the rest of Scandinavia as well, has some weird rule that they must show all of the football they've got the rights for, even if it means cutting off a bike race with two Ks to go, as happened with the queen stage of Andalucia, and it wasn't even the match-start they were cutting out for, it was the "introduction stuff". Which, every time there's a football match right after a race makes it a bit hard - at least for me - to actually trust that they'll show the entire race, or... actually show it in the first place.

Rob Hatch (?): "We're going to have to examine those results tonight"... lol why not tell us who is crossing the line right now? What is the point of you showing us the race on TV if we're supposed to wait to see the results later tonight? GC riders crossing the line in gaps and he's ignoring the race. Seriously *** commentary. (PN stage 1)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

fowlyetti said:
LugHugger said:
Turbo Durbo? Kirby truly is a massive ****.

??? That is his actual nick name

Indeed. My objection is Kirby's insistence of repeated use of the nickname to the exclusion of Durbridge's actual name. It's not the first time; a couple of seasons ago he did the same with Stannard [Yogi]. It made Saturday's commentary sound sycophantic.

Re: Re:

LugHugger said:
fowlyetti said:
LugHugger said:
Turbo Durbo? Kirby truly is a massive ****.

??? That is his actual nick name

Indeed. My objection is Kirby's insistence of repeated use of the nickname to the exclusion of Durbridge's actual name. It's not the first time; a couple of seasons ago he did the same with Stannard [Yogi]. It made Saturday's commentary sound sycophantic.

But he always called Cadel, Cadel and Bradley was Bradley, sometimes Wiggo.

Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck

Re:

Swiss Tony said:
Kirby is just a con artist, anyone who thinks he's a fan or a lovely of cycling are fools. Everyone must realise since he moved from motorsports when given this job due to other circumstances he's talked like he knows what he's talking about when he's no knowledge what so ever.. What a f*c€ing Pr!ck

You don't think it's at all possible that an enthusiast for other racing sports, who got involved with cycling as a professional opportunity, might just maybe start to care about a sport he has spent thousands of hours watching? That's pretty uncharitable.

Re:

Swiss Tony said:

Hey, Hey!
I'm afraid I must insist you refrain from dissing Carlton Kirby. The man is a legend among mere mortals.
He calls the back-end of a bike race like no others and fills dead air like a seasoned raconteur.
Take it easy on Kirby and give the man the lurving he deserves.

TRENDING THREADS