• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 109 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

LaFlorecita said:
the delgados said:
Like I said, to each their own.
Have at it if you get so upset when a cycling broadcaster makes some mistakes during an hours-long telecast.
Write a letter to the editor and vent your frustrations on a message board.
More power to you.

"This man here, he wears number one, he survived yesterday. He had himself an incident with 750m to go, we haven't been told what that is [we have!!!! it was a crash you dumb ***] but they let him off and so no gap was posted despite the fact that he came in a few minutes down, that would have killed off his hopes I think"

I couldn't believe my ears when I heard him say this yesterday. He really is an insufferable fool sometimes.

Argh how do British people cope with this guy on a daily basis
I survive by muting the sound when it gets really bad, occasionally hurling the odd insult at the TV( one was hurled when I heard his comment about Contador yesterday) and watching on other channels whenever available. I am also fortunate to spend some time in Spain so watch a lot on TDP.

Still the coverage has started so I have to go and wrap a cold towel around my head to prepare for listening to him again!

Re:

zlev11 said:
if you guys think Kirby is bad (he is) try listening to Marty McDonald for 2+ hours on cycling.tv. it makes me wish i didn't have ears.
Yes, no doubt!

I had a year long subscription with cycling.tv and didn't renew it because the commentator was too terrible to make it worth paying for again.

I figured I'd take my chances in that the internet would have anything better, which as much as I don't like to admit, I'd rather listen to Carlton Kirby but not by much. :p

70kmph said:
Irondan said:
70kmph said:
Kirby is a mic hog, he is the disc jockey of cycling

The other day at Basque race Backstedt was talking about a Sky rider who was transferred to another team and he says they have to adapt to the new ethics,. :D
We need a sound byte of that! :D

Priceless!

Apparently my mistake its not Backstedt, someone else named Matthew Stephens
Ahhh, the ex police officer...

Re:

LaFlorecita said:
Kirby as Woods attacks: It's Uran, no it's Si Clarke!!

Uran and Contador riding close together: they are good friends, they often spend time together off the bike (no they aren't and no they don't)
I did a double take when I heard that one too... lol

I had never heard that they hung out together and are such great friends but hey, Carlton Kirby must know because he has insider information, right??? :lol:

:D

Irondan said:
LaFlorecita said:

Uran and Contador riding close together: they are good friends, they often spend time together off the bike (no they aren't and no they don't)

I had never heard that they hung out together and are such great friends but hey, Carlton Kirby must know because he has insider information, right??? :lol:

I had to go back to listen to it again... Thought I may have misheard and he was talking about Nico Roche instead - but no he really said Uran
He's obsessed with Uran it seems, more mentions than Si Clarke the last two days.

LaFlorecita said:
Irondan said:
LaFlorecita said:

I had to go back to listen to it again... Thought I may have misheard and he was talking about Nico Roche instead - but no he really said Uran
He's obsessed with Uran it seems, more mentions than Si Clarke the last two days.
It's a weird bromance that I don't think the others (Clarke & Uran) are aware of. :eek:

Uran is only for this race ( Pais Vasco) Si Clareke is for life

I wonder Matt Stephens does not clatter Kirby one

The thing with Uran is Kirby predicted at the begininng of the race that Uran would win so he is going to do everything in his power to make that an actuality even if its not Uran first past the post ...he is going to call it as if it is

Also he has for so long nailed his colours to the Si Clarke can win many (any) races bandwagon that he will not give up on that either,,,

Its obsessional and dreadful to have to listen to ....I expect these riders would not like it either if they knew

What it is, is that he's marked a certain number of riders on his card from each team. He knows virtually nothing about 90% of them, so he sees a team do something and he will immediately yell out any name from his list.

Good example yesterday was Kreuziger's attack ("Yates attacks!"). To anyone here it was clearly Kreuziger, what with him being twice the size of Yates and wearing a national champs jersey and all - and Stephens immediately corrected him. But Kirby being Kirby, refused to admit he was wrong and pretended he was talking about a completely different rider.

If he had just waited one second before yelling "YATES ATTACKS", even he would have noticed it wasn't Yates, but no, bluster and bombast has got him this far so he's sticking with it.

kenk09 said:
What it is, is that he's marked a certain number of riders on his card from each team. He knows virtually nothing about 90% of them, so he sees a team do something and he will immediately yell out any name from his list.

Good example yesterday was Kreuziger's attack ("Yates attacks!"). To anyone here it was clearly Kreuziger, what with him being twice the size of Yates and wearing a national champs jersey and all - and Stephens immediately corrected him. But Kirby being Kirby, refused to admit he was wrong and pretended he was talking about a completely different rider.

If he had just waited one second before yelling "YATES ATTACKS", even he would have noticed it wasn't Yates, but no, bluster and bombast has got him this far so he's sticking with it.

Oh god, I almost lot it yesterday when he pretended he was talking about Yates moving up the other side. Why couldn't he just admit he was mistaken and move on. In effect what he ended up saying was that he was extremely excited by seeing Yates move up slightly on the left of picture but completely missed Kreuziger attack on the right - sure Carlton we believe you :rolleyes:

Mar 15, 2016
Visit site
StephenC2020 said:
kenk09 said:

Oh god, I almost lot it yesterday when he pretended he was talking about Yates moving up the other side. Why couldn't he just admit he was mistaken and move on. In effect what he ended up saying was that he was extremely excited by seeing Yates move up slightly on the left of picture but completely missed Kreuziger attack on the right - sure Carlton we believe you :rolleyes:

That's because his list of priorities are:

1) Hearing the sound of his own voice
2) Si Clarke
3) Reichenbach
4) Uran

(Swap between numbers 2-4 as desired or according to circumstance)

5...) Mention names off a list of riders he likes for that day/week

Reichenbach has to be on the no. 1 spot. He will win every race he enters acording to Kirby. Even when he is clearly riding for Pinot, Kirby will say that Reichenbach is just feeling so good that he rides at the front for fun and will crush everyone later on. :eek:

Re:

argyllflyer said:
Does Sergio Henao ever refer to himself as Sergio Luis Henao?

Most of us have no idea how he invites other people to use his name, but a quick Google search reveals that Cycling News, CQ, PCS, ASO, El Tiempo and many others use the middle name. It is therefore a name by which he is widely known and easily recognised, and assists in distinguishing between him and his cousin. Surely that is what we expect of a commentator, not knowing what he likes his brother to call him.

There are many things that Kirby can be criticised for: using Henao's middle name is a very long way down the list.

At least he makes a reasonable effort at the surname, and doesn't call him Haynee-O.

Armchair cyclist said:
argyllflyer said:
Does Sergio Henao ever refer to himself as Sergio Luis Henao?

Most of us have no idea how he invites other people to use his name, but a quick Google search reveals that Cycling News, CQ, PCS, ASO, El Tiempo and many others use the middle name. It is therefore a name by which he is widely known and easily recognised, and assists in distinguishing between him and his cousin. Surely that is what we expect of a commentator, not knowing what he likes his brother to call him.

There are many things that Kirby can be criticised for: using Henao's middle name is a very long way down the list.

At least he makes a reasonable effort at the surname, and doesn't call him Haynee-O.

By the same token, plenty of the above refer to Orica's Chavez as Johan Esteban Chavez Rubio or Johan Esteban Chavez.

A twitter of Colombian cycling refers to to Henao as Sergio Henao as just that and that's good enough for me. Anything else grates. I have a middle name and don't expect to be referred to by it.

Would also say that alot of the non-Spanish media make a meal of the Spanish naming conventions and regularly give their full names - Contador being one often named as Contador Velasco on the on-screen graphics.

Paris-Roubaix is Carlton-free?

rejoicing.jpg

TRENDING THREADS