• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 113 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Lequack said:
I don't wish to live in this world where Kirby is not commentating on cycling and everyone is serious and correct and there is no puns and humor anymore.

Part of cycling is also the scenery, the atmosphere, the fans along the road, it's not just about the racing. And Kirby will often comment on the interesting things he notices along the road, a quaint town they go through, interesting fans, some history, or just the occasional jab at whoever he is commentating with. :)

But maybe I am the one who is weird.

People forget that Kirby does nearly all stage races which by there nature meander along, until a sudden rush at the end - There is lots of gaps to be filled in a 2 or 3hr coverage, or in the case of the 2017 TDF 6 hours - Whereas many one day races are full on for the last 100km, especially semi-classics and classics, which means there are less gaps to fill in the coverage.

Apr 21, 2017
Visit site
Really been enjoying Magnus Backstedt at the spring classics, and Kelly is always worth a listen despite sounding like he's bored out of his mind. I'm new to Eurosport, having grasped a £20 offer for a years internet viewing. Looking forward to the summer and a different option to Itv4 with Gary Imlach, Chris Boardman, Ned Boulting and David Millar

Re:

mcduff said:
Really been enjoying Magnus Backstedt at the spring classics, and Kelly is always worth a listen despite sounding like he's bored out of his mind. I'm new to Eurosport, having grasped a £20 offer for a years internet viewing. Looking forward to the summer and a different option to Itv4 with Gary Imlach, Chris Boardman, Ned Boulting and David Millar

Don't worry, when you've had enough exposure to Carlton Kirby, you'll realise you are extremely lucky to have that ITV option.

Jonathan Edwards is doing the Giro - “Jonathan is an exceptional broadcasting talent and through his love and knowledge of cycling is an excellent addition to Eurosport’s formidable presentation line-up and enhanced on-site coverage.

Lets hope this new line up doesnt included Kirby.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
Jonathan Edwards is doing the Giro - “Jonathan is an exceptional broadcasting talent and through his love and knowledge of cycling is an excellent addition to Eurosport’s formidable presentation line-up and enhanced on-site coverage.

As in the triple jumper Jonathan Edwards ??? Or someone with the same name.

Apr 11, 2011
Visit site
Edwards will be the anchor before and after the stage (presumably replacing Ashley House). He won't be doing commentary. I believe he's done that job for the BBC in the past (Olympics, Worlds),

Kirby has verbal diarrhea. He should engage his brain more before he speaks.

Re: Re:

deValtos said:
Cycle Chic said:

Same guy. He's a big cycling fan, and has presented lots of cycling stuff for the BBC. He should be harmless enough.

kenk09 said:
deValtos said:
Cycle Chic said:

Same guy. He's a big cycling fan, and has presented lots of cycling stuff for the BBC. He should be harmless enough.

In my opinion he is annoying and has poor cycling knowledge. I don't watch the post-race stuff on English Eurosport though, so I'll be dodging the bullet.

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site

TMP402 said:
kenk09 said:
deValtos said:
Cycle Chic said:

In my opinion he is annoying and has poor cycling knowledge. I don't watch the post-race stuff on English Eurosport though, so I'll be dodging the bullet.

You're lucky! Edwards/Kirby combo might be too much for me. Both are full of their own importance, although Edwards is generally more appearance than content, either way he is only doing it as Eurosport have bought him from BBC. We had to put up with him for the skiing this year, I assume he's told them that's also a passion of his.

Agree - Ashley House was ok. But as always the tv companies contract these commentators / celebs / gift of the gobs...for years and can use them for whatever they choose. Look at Balding - god how everyone is sick of her face and Hazel Irvine doing snooker and golf - ridiculous !

But hey - we,ve god rid of Harmon...just Kirby to go and alls good. Actually itv4 is good with Millar and Boulting for the Tour.

Very, but very, poor coverage for Yorkshire.
Today they'll go live only at 17:30 but the finish is scheduled between 16:47 and 17:12, so it's probably not a "live" as indicated on the TV guide but some highlights or deferred coverage for 45 mins.
Tomorrow nothing on the TV guide (45 mins at 5:00 sunday morning...).
Sunday they'll go live at 17:00 with the finish scheduled between 17:02 and 17:29.

Why they bought the rights if they can't have a proper nor a decent coverage?

Re:

Nirvana said:
Very, but very, poor coverage for Yorkshire.
Today they'll go live only at 17:30 but the finish is scheduled between 16:47 and 17:12, so it's probably not a "live" as indicated on the TV guide but some highlights or deferred coverage for 45 mins.
Tomorrow nothing on the TV guide (45 mins at 5:00 sunday morning...).
Sunday they'll go live at 17:00 with the finish scheduled between 17:02 and 17:29.

Why they bought the rights if they can't have a proper nor a decent coverage?

Too many live events for the channels they have. Here in UK they're also showing Romandie live and snooker as well.

TRENDING THREADS