• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 116 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
Argyll Flyers post - on the future races - TBC looks promising - it could mean Kirby hasnt got a foothold as he used to. I think Eurosport UK have finally got the message that viewers are not willing to suffer incompetents waffling their way through races.

Cycling has now become so popular that they are 'getting their act together'.

tbc = I don't know!

Kirby won't do California as he's in Italy for RCS. Hatch and Stephens are also over there for Eurosport. So unless MS has flown back, California will be Quigley (or less likely Harris-Bass).

Re:

HelloDolly said:
I think Calafornia will be Dan Llyod and Magnus Backstead

Dan Lloyd's in Italy doing the Giro with Kirby and will be there the 3 weeks. Matt Stephens is also in Italy for Eurosport (though could easily be flying back in time for sunday night).

Quigley & Backstedt is a likely combo though as Hatch, Kirby and Stephens are all out of main comms gig at this stage, while other non-Maggy summariser Smith is also in Italy for the Giro.

Towards the end of yesterday's stage when Nibali attacked Eurosport lost sound of Hatch's commentating for a minute or so and someone else stepped into the broadcast with surprisingly good knowledge of riders and race situation. For a while it even seemed like an improvement over Hatch. Do we know who it was?

Yes, I noticed that too, nice smooth delivery, I wonder who that was, I liked him a lot too.
I like Hatch a lot - and happy to have him in the hot seat, though this year I think he's been trying to channel a bit of Kirby's extra excitement which - to me - isn't always necessary. Much prefer him to Kirby - night and day! - but if there's a preference I prefer less dramatic commentary (except at certain moments). Otherwise it reminds me of canned laughter on TV shows - getting all wound up as if telling the audience when to react, whereas the action should make that obvious.

Re:

PeterB said:
Towards the end of yesterday's stage when Nibali attacked Eurosport lost sound of Hatch's commentating for a minute or so and someone else stepped into the broadcast with surprisingly good knowledge of riders and race situation. For a while it even seemed like an improvement over Hatch. Do we know who it was?

That was Jonathan Harris-Bass. He's in charge of providing "interesting" bits of info from back in the Eurosport studios. He does cycling commentary occasionally, as well as volleyball and I think also tennis.

Jul 14, 2015
Visit site
Eurosport for a second time in the row losing their commentators at the crucial moment. It's brilliant that in their incompetence they still have the ability to surprise us, because never announced ad breaks have somewhat lost their excitement.

Re:

hazaran said:
Eurosport for a second time in the row losing their commentators at the crucial moment. It's brilliant that in their incompetence they still have the ability to surprise us, because never announced ad breaks have somewhat lost their excitement.

I really don't think it's their fault - the commentators for this are at the finish and the reliability of the connection will be due to on-site problems.

Re:

Valv.Piti said:
Landren to win the Giro.

Sucks that Brian Holm only commented the first few stages in Sardinia, but I think I heard he will be back after Cali.

Well, now we get some commenting on the actual racing (which has been pretty unworthy of commenting to be honest) instead of just a lot of outrageous stories that are probably only semi-true... It can get a bit silly at times although it is quite entertaining. They just tend to have a hard time finding the balance in my opinion.

TRENDING THREADS