• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 117 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
DAhRxrZXYAAS7en.jpg:large

Dave Brailsfraud‏ @davebrailsfraud 19h19 hours ago
Carlton at home enjoying the Giro coverage

Best place for him !

Aug 12, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Cycle Chic said:
Kirbys finally on his way out - Cycling has now moved beyond his amateur efforts at commentary. Even the beginner viewers realise he knows NOTHING about professional cycle races.
Well much as I'd love to believe this I doubt we'll get much of a break from the buffoon - July isn't far away now & we can watch each stage in its entirety on mute!

Something strange happened on Danish Eurosport today. Back after a break, and... it was English!
Though, for me, at least English is better than if it had been, say, Finnish. Or those times I've been watching semi-classics on the Player with Dutch commentating (though, I can sorta understand that too...)

Re:

dusty red roads said:
I beg to differ, those kirbygasms get me hitting the mute button asap!

Hey, hey!
Easy now. Carlton Kirby lights up the end of a race like a Christmas tree in Times Square.
It is a glorious sight to behold.
Don't make me come back here to rebut your nonsensical observations, m'kay?
It takes a special talent to whisper sweet nothings into our ears before lighting up like a firecracker.
I have no clue how the guy does it, but my opinion matters not.
What matters is Carlton Kirby.
Stop worrying and just sit back with some bon bons and enjoy the spectacle.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Some people won't be happy until we get golf level commentary.

Anyways Kirby is still the most popular for good reason. As I've said before many people here fail to realize that the type of people that are interested enough to post on cycling forums throughout the year are a pretty small demographic.

Re:

deValtos said:

Anyways Kirby is still the most popular for good reason. As I've said before many people here fail to realize that the type of people that are interested enough to post on cycling forums throughout the year are a pretty small demographic.

You make a great point.
I'd argue that my man Carlton brings people into the sport rather than chasing them out.
e.g.--recently CK caught the attention of my non-cycling friend who was wondering what in the eff was going on, and why was someone screaming.
This allowed me to provide some perspective and context about the race in general and those who participate in it.
It would be a stretch to say my friend became a fan of cycling, but my friend was interested and wants to learn more.
All thanks to my man, Carlton Kirby.

Different strokes for different folks. I also prefer watching comedy without canned laughter. No need to tell me when to laugh or not. When someone hypes up the end of a race like Kirby it's just way too over the top for me, and feels like the same kind of thing. If that's your thing, then great, but it's totally not mine as it forces me to pay less attention to what's going on and more on what's being yelled out. But then I'm an audio person - a musician - and am very sensitive to how sound is used. You might not be.

Re:

deValtos said:

Can't say I disagree with this. I'm tired of Kirby, I can barely stand him for 2 minutes. But often when I look at comment section of a cycling video with him on audio, I realize that wider audience are more than o.k with him (I live in non English speaking country, can't use my friends or family as example, they don't care what he mutters on about). So I guess I have to live witb it.

Re:

Cycle Chic said:
Kirbys finally on his way out - Cycling has now moved beyond his amateur efforts at commentary. Even the beginner viewers realise he knows NOTHING about professional cycle races.

he has never been more 'in'. Main cycling commentator on Eurosport since 2013, did every RCS race's English commentary until 2015 and now has picked up that particular mic again this year...

Re:

deValtos said:

So that is it ?..a choice between golf coverage and the idiot that is Kirby

Just because we dont want the golf type why should we accept Kirby, even if we pay for the coverage ? Talk about second rate options

There are many other options like someone who can inject enthusiasm but also is sane and informed and unbias...what is wrong with having that objective ? em ? Do we as cycling fans not deserve a proper commentary team?

Like the story about above how someone frined was attracted to the coverage because they heard Kirby yelling but by no stroke of the imagination are now a cycling fan ? what does that prove...We all stop and gawk at a crash ...and that is what Kirby is ...a TV car crash...

This is not the way into increasing a fan base for the sport and to think so is very deluded

Hatch is the best on Eurosport. I think he and Matt Stephens are the best pairing. They can analyse the race properly, Hatch identifies riders quickly and pronounces everything correctly instead of insulting people who tweet at him, Stephens is actually funny instead of whatever Kirby tries to do.

Re: Re:

HelloDolly said:
deValtos said:

So that is it ?..a choice between golf coverage and the idiot that is Kirby

Just because we dont want the golf type why should we accept Kirby, even if we pay for the coverage ? Talk about second rate options

There are many other options like someone who can inject enthusiasm but also is sane and informed and unbias...what is wrong with having that objective ? em ? Do we as cycling fans not deserve a proper commentary team?

Like the story about above how someone frined was attracted to the coverage because they heard Kirby yelling but by no stroke of the imagination are now a cycling fan ? what does that prove...We all stop and gawk at a crash ...and that is what Kirby is ...a TV car crash...

This is not the way into increasing a fan base for the sport and to think so is very deluded

Just to be clear, I never said my friend has become a cycling fan because of my man Carlton Kirby.
I was saying that Carlton Kirby lights a spark that brings us all together!
CK has analysts like Sean Kelly and me to provide proper perspective to my buddy and correct my man Carlton Kirby when he gets too excited. It's all in good fun, Hello Dolly.

TRENDING THREADS