• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 122 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Easy there, Hellodolly.
No one is denying that Sean Kelly possesses a ton of cycling knowledge. Apparently some people prefer to hear it come from someone who talks like he was just roofied, but whatevs. To each their own, as they say.
I'm talking about chemistry. You know, oil and water.
My man Carlton does not mix well with Kelly.
We can theorize until the cows come home about why that is, but I think most would agree that the two do not go well together.
Kirby seems to get on just fine with former pros such as Magnus.
All I'm suggesting is the world would be a better place if my man Carlton Kirby could do his thing without periodically nudging his colleague out of a coma.
That's all.
Sean Kelly is a former pro. Plus, in my opinion, the pair of them work well together and do get along.

lemon cheese cake said:
the delgados said:
Easy there, Hellodolly.
No one is denying that Sean Kelly possesses a ton of cycling knowledge. Apparently some people prefer to hear it come from someone who talks like he was just roofied, but whatevs. To each their own, as they say.
I'm talking about chemistry. You know, oil and water.
My man Carlton does not mix well with Kelly.
We can theorize until the cows come home about why that is, but I think most would agree that the two do not go well together.
Kirby seems to get on just fine with former pros such as Magnus.
All I'm suggesting is the world would be a better place if my man Carlton Kirby could do his thing without periodically nudging his colleague out of a coma.
That's all.
Sean Kelly is a former pro. Plus, in my opinion, the pair of them work well together and do get along.

Wait, what?
Sean Kelly is a former professional bike rider?
I never would have guessed! Gosh, you learn something new every day.
I'm glad you think the former 'pro' rider (wink wink) gets on well with Carlton Kirby. Personally, I like them both, but not together. Anyway, as the kids say nowadays, to each their own.
Keep on keeping on, Lemon Cheese Cake!

Re:

GenericBoonenFan said:
"Their national bird is the mosquito" excuse me?

Serious question about a silly remark: I was listening to Kirby talk about Belgium's mosquito infestation and was quite amused but does Belgium actually have a big mosquito problem?

I ask because I've been to Belgium many times and visited quite a lot of the country at various times of the year and never been bitten. If I had been bitten I'd have noticed because I get spectacularly unpleasant blisters from most types of mosquito bite and consequently am nearly psychotically dedicated to repellent application in any country where I've been bitten. (Ireland does have mosquitos but they are so rare that most Irish people think they don't exist here at all).

Zinoviev Letter said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

Serious question about a silly remark: I was listening to Kirby talk about Belgium's mosquito infestation and was quite amused but does Belgium actually have a big mosquito problem?

I ask because I've been to Belgium many times and visited quite a lot of the country at various times of the year and never been bitten. If I had been bitten I'd have noticed because I get spectacularly unpleasant blisters from most types of mosquito bite and consequently am nearly psychotically dedicated to repellent application in any country where I've been bitten. (Ireland does have mosquitos but they are so rare that most Irish people think they don't exist here at all).

We have mosquitos? Really? You learn something new everyday I guess :)

Zinoviev Letter said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

No we don't have a lot, I would say both Kelly and Kirby must have «sweet blood» as we say here, which means they're more oftem than others targeted due to bodysmell and a bunch of other factors. We have our fair share of mosquitos during summer, this year is actually pretty bad due to the heatqave
but we hardly have more than any other european country

StephenC2020 said:
Zinoviev Letter said:
GenericBoonenFan said:

We have mosquitos? Really? You learn something new everyday I guess :)

Around 18 species! That's a very low number by comparison with almost everywhere else, though. And most of those species aren't interested in humans, while the few species that do bite people are very rare. So people think we don't have them because unless you live in an actual swamp or are a bird (the preferred blood donors of the common species) we may as well not do.

I've noticed more and more cycling races are being put on the player. As I already have to pay to get eurosport on my tv, I find it disgusting that I have to pay extra to get races that would have been on the two channels, before they starting pushing the online player more. National Championships are on the player now.

Agreed. I said a few pages back that if they are going to keep hoovering up rights they need another TV channel. Player is ok for minor races which we wouldn't otherwise see but shouldn't be used as a backup when there is all-day tennis or snooker.

It wouldn't be so bad if they still had a smart TV app, watching on laptop or tablet is a poor second best.

I actually find it quite funny to watch stuff on the Player, especially if it's a feed with Dutch commentating.
Then again; I always watch on the Player (when I'm at home), so for me it really makes no difference, except for the language.
I was pleasantly surprised to learn that Halle-Ingooigem was being shown on regular (Danish) Eurosport, had been expecting a couple hours of completely cluelessness.

IMHO the problem of the player is that the price is exaggerated and constantly increases, i remember a couple of years ago you could watch it for a month with one euro, now you need five euros (4,99) for one day, if you are interested only in cycling races that aren't showed in the two channels it's undoable.
I don't understand why they doesn't allow the pay per view option to buy only the events you are interested in.

Re:

Nirvana said:
IMHO the problem of the player is that the price is exaggerated and constantly increases, i remember a couple of years ago you could watch it for a month with one euro, now you need five euros (4,99) for one day, if you are interested only in cycling races that aren't showed in the two channels it's undoable.
I don't understand why they doesn't allow the pay per view option to buy only the events you are interested in.
When was that?

kingjr said:
Nirvana said:
When was that?
I don't remember exactly when they raised the price but in 2015 i used that subscription for a month at one euro during the Vuelta because i wasn't at home.

Nirvana said:
kingjr said:
Nirvana said:
When was that?
I don't remember exactly when they raised the price but in 2015 i used that subscription for a month at one euro during the Vuelta because i wasn't at home.
Weird, I have the player since about 6 years, maybe longer, and it never was €1 per month for me, in fact it was always more or less the same it is now. Maybe it was some kind of special offer?

kingjr said:
Nirvana said:
kingjr said:
Nirvana said:
When was that?
Weird, I have the player since about 6 years, maybe longer, and it never was €1 per month for me, in fact it was always more or less the same it is now. Maybe it was some kind of special offer?
I'm not sure but i think the only offer is the one for the year subscription at 30 euros (29,99) for the first year.

Re:

The timings today at the finish line were awful but that doesn't excuse a complete lack of initiative and common sense on behalf of Kirby and co who forgot about this and continued reporting them as if there was nothing wrong with them. It was pretty annoying really. It wasn't a difficult job either, or one which depended on cycling knowledge, just common sense.

Beech Mtn said:
Yeah this was weird and wrong to say. There was also a sky wankfest by Kirby at the end and something about calling 999 which made no sense at all. All in all a very disappointing day for the commentator, much worse than normal. Hope this isn't a sign of things to come.

Brullnux said:
The timings today at the finish line were awful but that doesn't excuse a complete lack of initiative and common sense on behalf of Kirby and co who forgot about this and continued reporting them as if there was nothing wrong with them. It was pretty annoying really. It wasn't a difficult job either, or one which depended on cycling knowledge, just common sense.

I watched on and off all afternoon and Kirby was clearly skeptical of the on screen graphic so was waiting for the number that flashed up above the line itself. I didn;t notice it being out.

What I do notice with CK on time trials is his consistent inability to work out how long it takes a rider to get from when the static cameras within the last 1 km pick up someone all the way to the finish line. He gets this wrong time and time again.