• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 124 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Pharazon said:
first time i've listened to Carlton Kirby all year and i find my self shouting at the tv after less and half an hour...

why why why does he continue to get work as a commentator?

Well, well. What do we have here--another Carlton Kirby critic.
So far we've heard from those who turn the volume to mute, those who turn the channel, and those who listen to him for some strange masochistic reason.
Now we have someone who actually yells at their television set. That's a very novel approach! Good on ya, mate!
Good lord, man.
I'm getting tired of coming back here again and again to remind the philistines that Carlton Kirby is a legend among mere mortals.
Let's do a little role playing session, shall we?
Pretend that you're calling, say, a piddly little TT from some BrinkoBankish backwater tour from wherever the hell the riders are. Now you've got a couple hours to fill while back markers cross the line like they've just arrived home from a trip to the corner store.
Ask yourself: What are you gonna say?
Nothing. That's what.
You know why?
'Cause you lack the ability to fill dead air.
My man Carlton Kirby is a raconteur. He has Oscar Wilde-like wit.
He knows when to call a spade a spade.
Shush now about CK.
Respect the man. Respect the legend.
Respect Carlton Kirby.

Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Pharazon said:
first time i've listened to Carlton Kirby all year and i find my self shouting at the tv after less and half an hour...

So far we've heard from those who turn the volume to mute, those who turn the channel, and those who listen to him for some strange masochistic reason.
Now we have someone who actually yells at their television set. That's a very novel approach! Good on ya, mate!
Good lord, man.
I'm getting tired of coming back here again and again to remind the philistines that Carlton Kirby is a legend among mere mortals.
Pretend that you're calling, say, a piddly little TT from some BrinkoBankish backwater tour from wherever the hell the riders are. Now you've got a couple hours to fill while back markers cross the line like they've just arrived home from a trip to the corner store.
Nothing. That's what.
You know why?
Shush now about CK.
Respect Carlton Kirby.

Have you a clue what you are talking about ....

Oscar Wilde was a genius..As an Irish person I am highly insulted that you compare him to the a pompous ill-informed wind bag...please stop talking as much bollox as Kirby does...

HelloDolly said:
the delgados said:
Pharazon said:

Good lord, man.
Nothing. That's what.
You know why?
Shush now about CK.
Respect Carlton Kirby.

Have you a clue what you are talking about ....

Oscar Wilde was a genius..As an Irish person I am highly insulted that you compare him to the a pompous ill-informed wind bag...please stop talking as much bollox as Kirby does...

Ok, I will retract the comparison to Oscar Wilde.
It was a subconscious nod to blackcat, a former forum contributor.
Everything else stands. Kirby is awesome.
So there.

Not sure how to start a new post but here we go. Lance Armstrong's interview and comments on the Sagan dismissal was the most professional I heard - pure experience and non-emotionally dispassionate.

Re:

TMP402 said:
Brian Smith, Stage 6 of Eneco, 10km to go: "Lars Boom should stop smiling and start riding". I think this stuck out to me because you rarely hear commentators being less than fawning or admiring towards riders.

Brian Smith is suffering with kidney stones at the moment so probably feeling a little tetchy. He was absolutely right though. He also came close to biting Carlton Kirby's head off when CK was talking about assuming something and told BS that it was his job to make assumptions he replied rather sharply that he only dealt with facts. Again absolutely right.

mariposa said:
TMP402 said:
Brian Smith, Stage 6 of Eneco, 10km to go: "Lars Boom should stop smiling and start riding". I think this stuck out to me because you rarely hear commentators being less than fawning or admiring towards riders.

Brian Smith is suffering with kidney stones at the moment so probably feeling a little tetchy. He was absolutely right though. He also came close to biting Carlton Kirby's head off when CK was talking about assuming something and told BS that it was his job to make assumptions he replied rather sharply that he only dealt with facts. Again absolutely right.

You're referring to the exchange that occurred after Tony Martin momentarily crashed himself out of the breakaway.
My man CK remarked that Tony is strong like bull and noted his history of crashing. He asked his colleague if it is at all possible that someone so strong might have an equally high pain threshold which maybe leads to inattention and a higher crash rate.
You can debate the merits of the question until the cows come home (personally, i don't think that was vintage CK), but the fact is kidney boy wasn't listening. He responded by saying he had no clue because he didn't see a replay of the crash. That is fair enough, but that's not what CK was asking.
He was asking if Martin has an overall penchant for silly crashes.

mariposa said:
TMP402 said:

Smith must have adopted a new approach then in the last couple of months. Because he certainly didn't deal only with facts when speculating for ages during the Giro with Hatch about how Movistar had attacked Dumoulin during a piss break. Only to later find out that Sunweb had in fact split the group themselves.

DFA123 said:
mariposa said:
TMP402 said:

Smith must have adopted a new approach then in the last couple of months. Because he certainly didn't deal only with facts when speculating for ages during the Giro with Hatch about how Movistar had attacked Dumoulin during a piss break. Only to later find out that Sunweb had in fact split the group themselves.

I agree with you on that.Perhaps he learnt a lesson from it as I think that he was the Eurosport commentator who bothered to go and ask the questions of the Sunweb team and report back with what had happened. In fact that whole episode was a pretty unsavoury illustration of how a story without any basis in fact can be spread all over social media. Ashley House was still on twitter about it even after it had been found to be untrue. Not many of those tweeting the negative had the good grace to apologise when they were found to be wrong.

Jan 20, 2016
Visit site
If the commentators only dealt in facts it'd be pretty boring commentary. Part of what they do is speculate.
This is the trouble with millennials, no sense of humour and everything has to be verified by snopes before it can be uttered.

Re:

Lupi33x said:
If the commentators only dealt in facts it'd be pretty boring commentary. Part of what they do is speculate.
This is the trouble with millennials, no sense of humour and everything has to be verified by snopes before it can be uttered.
Speculation on who is going to win , likely to make a move etc is fine with me . When it strays into assumptions not based on truth or making up what riders are saying or thinking when clearly the commentator has no idea what that is, Carlton Kirby is a master at this, then in my opinion there isn't a place for it. When it perpetuates something which could potentially be harmful to an individuals reputation, as in the case of the Giro episode, then I think that as professional commentators they owe it to everyone to make sure that they check the facts before repeating it. Sadly the desire to be the first person to say something or not to miss out seems to win out over common decency too often.

I have no idea what a millennial is or what Snopes is, so I am afraid that part of your comment is wasted on me.

mariposa said:
Lupi33x said:
Speculation on who is going to win , likely to make a move etc is fine with me . When it strays into assumptions not based on truth or making up what riders are saying or thinking when clearly the commentator has no idea what that is, Carlton Kirby is a master at this, then in my opinion there isn't a place for it. When it perpetuates something which could potentially be harmful to an individuals reputation, as in the case of the Giro episode, then I think that as professional commentators they owe it to everyone to make sure that they check the facts before repeating it. Sadly the desire to be the first person to say something or not to miss out seems to win out over common decency too often.

I have no idea what a millennial is or what Snopes is, so I am afraid that part of your comment is wasted on me.

Please, for the love of everything holy, can someone please tell me how to highlight a single sentence rather than re-posting an entire message?
I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not the swiftest ship in her majesty's fleet, but yeah, it's true. I also like CK, so maybe I'm suffering some kind of mental disorder.
I'm joking. Carlton Kirby is awesome!
Anyhow, the sentence below written by mariposa is the one I'd like to isolate.

"When it strays into assumptions not based on truth or making up what riders are saying or thinking when clearly the commentator has no idea what it is, Carlton Kirby is a master at this, then in my opinion there isn't a place for it."

I read that sentence at least three times before succumbing to vertigo. I tried and tried to figure out what the hell mariposa was trying to say, and the next thing I knew I was flat on my back. Witnesses say I was out for at least a minute.

Anyhow, there was only one Hemingway in the world, and he's long gone.
Mariposa, it is no secret that I have a soft spot for my man Carlton Kirby. I think it's in my nature to stick up for the person who's getting kicked around. I agree that my man CK is far from perfect, but I tend to take issue with misrepresentations of the legend that is Carlton Kirby.

Now that I am semi-conscious, let's parse the sentence above, shall we?
My man Carlton Kirby was not assuming anything regarding the Tony Martin crash, nor was he stating a fact.
He was asking the kidney stone guy if Martin's strength makes him more susceptible to careless crashes. Granted, the wording was a bit awkward, and the guy in pain was probably a bit miffed. I don't blame him for being a tad uppity, but he should have maintained a sense of professionalism before taking a dig at my man CK. No one takes a dig at CK, ok?

Aside from making a few cracks about say, riders wearing headphones and listening to music during a dull-as-dishwater stage of the BrinkishBankish Tour, I cannot think of one example when CK stated as fact that he knew what a rider was saying, doing, or thinking.

Can you?

You see, mariposa, it is posts like yours that makes me come back here again and again to defend my man Carlton Kirby.

Kidney stone guy was the one who started the ruckus, yet CK gets blamed again. This needs to stop!

the delgados said:
mariposa said:
Lupi33x said:

Please, for the love of everything holy, can someone please tell me how to highlight a single sentence rather than re-posting an entire message?

When you quote a post, their text shows up in your text editor. Just delete the parts you don't want, before posting.

TRENDING THREADS