• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 126 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Sestriere said:
RedheadDane said:
Sestriere said:
RedheadDane said:
Never mind the commentators, the adds are all over the place.
There was literally just an add for the "Astana Expo", which... took place on August 12... dunno about you, but I can't travel in time.

Huh? The Expo takes place over the period of three months from June to September? Who would bother and make such an enormous effort for one day?

My bad, didn't make myself clear; meant the bike race, which took place on August 12.
The add basically went "Come watch the [bike race] on August 12, and see the stars; Aru and Froome."

Well, then you're totally right of course. I remember them running a Tour of Azerbaijan commercial weeks later as well, though :D

Definitely not the first time this has happened. I was literally just starring at the screen, being all "But it's August 19, and both Froome and Aru are about to start the frikkin' Vuelta!"

Thank God I will be able to listen to Spanish coverage of the Vuelta later this week. Carlton Kirby has condensed most of his loves and hates into the last hour. Froome is a god the wonderful descender.How hard done by Sky were in not being able to use their personal camper vans. That little sneak Are who was horrid to Froome and got his just desserts when he faded to nowhere in the Giro and hasn't had any contract offers as a result. That naughty ungrateful Luis M who left MTN and has done nothing since but how he will be great again when he goes back to Dimension Data ( a fact that despite his supposed interest in the rider he had failed to notice until advised on twitter and even then he only half heartedly acknowledged that he had moved back) Finally that poor Alex Dowsett who has been shelved by Movistar for the last 5 years and who will be wonderful when he moves to Katusha! Wonderful to listen to Sean Kelly's responses. His silence says a lot and when he does respond he does put downs in a very professional manner.

mariposa said:
Thank God I will be able to listen to Spanish coverage of the Vuelta later this week. Carlton Kirby has condensed most of his loves and hates into the last hour. Froome is a god the wonderful descender.How hard done by Sky were in not being able to use their personal camper vans. That little sneak Are who was horrid to Froome and got his just desserts when he faded to nowhere in the Giro and hasn't had any contract offers as a result. That naughty ungrateful Luis M who left MTN and has done nothing since but how he will be great again when he goes back to Dimension Data ( a fact that despite his supposed interest in the rider he had failed to notice until advised on twitter and even then he only half heartedly acknowledged that he had moved back) Finally that poor Alex Dowsett who has been shelved by Movistar for the last 5 years and who will be wonderful when he moves to Katusha! Wonderful to listen to Sean Kelly's responses. His silence says a lot and when he does respond he does put downs in a very professional manner.
Kirby solely must be kept by Eurosport out of friendship due to his gambling addiction!

mariposa said:

Spot on...great post :)

Re:

TMP402 said:
Kirby just said Pozzovivo could win the sprint.

He also predicted Nibali would win the stage 10 km's from the finish.
What an idiot.
I'd respond to mariposa's ramblings, but I have no clue what the hell s/he is on about. Seriously, I can't reach the end of a sentence before my mind starts drifting off. By the end of the sentence I've already done my laundry and prepared my dinner. This much I do know: mariposa harbours a pathological hatred toward my man CK.

I admit to being biased, but I think Carlton did a great job calling the last 10 km's of today's stage. He and Kelly actually seemed to work well together, which is shocking.

On the bit of Eurosport coverage I saw today, Kelly made a comment on something other than the cycling. Is that the first time he's ever done that? There was some picture of a hilltop chateau near the end and he said how beautiful it looked, and then obviously felt a bit out of his depth and had to relate it back to cycling, saying it would be a tough climb at the end of the day.

I wonder if people at Eurosport have had a word about selling the whole package of the GTs, not just the racing. I hope not, they should let Kelly just focus on what he's good at. Or maybe he's been talking to Matt Stephens and is trying his hand at namedropping to get a few freebies from the sponsors, although a chateau is a particularly ambitious aim.

Re:

staubsauger said:
I always wonder how people can't acclimatize to a certain accent like Kelly's Irish one. At the beginning I had my problems with Leclercq and his Schwyzerdütsch as well. But once I adapted to it I began to admire his great insight into cycling!
That's not Schwyzerdütsch he is talking, that's German with a little accent and some odd expressions.

Yesterday was awful. Apart from the usual tics (using "testy" to mean demanding when it actually means short-tempered, and referring to all mechanicals as "technicals") we had interminable references to his blasted tea-towels. These have been printed from his so-called Kirby Codec, which ought in any case to be Codex. I know the proceeds might be going to charity but how is he allowed to promote this personal venture so blatantly on commentary?

He was jolted out of this by the camera spotting Adam Hansen, which allowed him to go on about his amazing record of consecutive GTs and woe betide the DS who didn't select him. Kelly then pointed out that he had originally been dropped and only got back in because of an injury to another rider. Does he not read any cycling press?

Re:

Alberto Fishwick said:
Yesterday was awful. Apart from the usual tics (using "testy" to mean demanding when it actually means short-tempered, and referring to all mechanicals as "technicals") we had interminable references to his blasted tea-towels. These have been printed from his so-called Kirby Codec, which ought in any case to be Codex. I know the proceeds might be going to charity but how is he allowed to promote this personal venture so blatantly on commentary?

He was jolted out of this by the camera spotting Adam Hansen, which allowed him to go on about his amazing record of consecutive GTs and woe betide the DS who didn't select him. Kelly then pointed out that he had originally been dropped and only got back in because of an injury to another rider. Does he not read any cycling press?

He si such a lazy commentator ...doesn't know what is going with riders or teams or anything
He is a disgrace

Re:

TMP402 said:
Carlton: "Quick-Step needed that!" - yeah, they were really in need of a win at the Vuelta. It had been a mere 48 hours since they won a stage and the leader's jersey, so you can understand their desperation.
Yeah, they've only had 2 second places, a stage win, the leader's jersey, 2nd currently in GC, and the sprinter's jersey. Boy. Poor guys.

Hey guys!
Have you heard that Carlton Kirby started a charity and had the gall to talk about it on TV?
What an ***! There's just no end to his brutish behaviour.
I also heard he once wrote their instead of there.
What a dullard.
I think we should start a poll ranking our degree of hate to CK and send it to Eurosport. That'll show 'em.

Good lord, man. Criticizing a guy for talking about a charity.
Have you seen the landscape so far at the Vuelta? It's like the top of Mount Ventoux.
What else is he gonna talk about?
Today he tried to get the audience excited about a plot of land that looked like an abandoned parking lot at a construction site.

And don't even get me started about the "They really needed that" line.
You guys might want to pause before unleashing the hate. You remind me of the guy a while back who had no clue about Aesops Fables.
Did it occur to you that he was referring to the amount of work that Quick Step invested in the run-in of a fairly chaotic sprint?

Please, don't make me come back here day after day to remind everyone that CK is a legend among mere mortals.
C'mon guys, step it up a little.

Re:

the delgados said:
Hey guys!
Have you heard that Carlton Kirby started a charity and had the gall to talk about it on TV?
What an *******! There's just no end to his brutish behaviour.
What a dullard.
I think we should start a poll ranking our degree of hate to CK and send it to Eurosport. That'll show 'em.

Have you seen the landscape so far at the Vuelta? It's like the top of Mount Ventoux.
Today he tried to get the audience excited about a plot of land that looked like an abandoned parking lot at a construction site.

You guys might want to pause before unleashing the hate. You remind me of the guy a while back who had no clue about Aesops Fables.
Did it occur to you that he was referring to the amount of work that Quick Step invested in the run-in of a fairly chaotic sprint?

Please, don't make me come back here day after day to remind everyone that CK is a legend among mere mortals.

Do you find it rewarding to write this stuff? I suppose you must, but I'm afraid to say this was the first post of yours I've read in over a year and I still don't find it funny in the least.

Re: Re:

TMP402 said:
the delgados said:
Hey guys!
What an *******! There's just no end to his brutish behaviour.
What a dullard.

Do you find it rewarding to write this stuff? I suppose you must, but I'm afraid to say this was the first post of yours I've read in over a year and I still don't find it funny in the least.

I'm sorry I don't meet your standards, TMP402.

TRENDING THREADS