• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 138 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Robert5091 said:
SDB's "Ron Ziegler" job? Good luck with that! :)

Ha! Nice one. I had to Google the name, but it was worth the while.
All I can say is I will say the truth and nothing but the truth.
Maybe that's why I have yet to receive a response to the application.
I remain absolutely sincere in my efforts to get the job; so please, for the love of everything holy, give me a good reference.
I would love to get an interview at the very least.

Re: Re:

the delgados said:
Robert5091 said:
SDB's "Ron Ziegler" job? Good luck with that! :)

Ha! Nice one. I had to Google the name, but it was worth the while.
All I can say is I will say the truth and nothing but the truth.
Maybe that's why I have yet to receive a response to the application.
I remain absolutely sincere in my efforts to get the job; so please, for the love of everything holy, give me a good reference.
I would love to get an interview at the very least.

Seriously, if this is what you want, the best of luck. Keep us informed.

Making up facts again: explaining the difficulty of a BotD forming by reference to the increased number of teams. But there are fewer riders, and the same number of teams. 7 teams of 7 this year, 7 teams of 8 from 2014 until last year, and more than 26 teams prior to that.

If you make up facts, and then use them to explain what is happening in the race, it gives the impression that you don't have a clue what is going on.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Thomas Bay just claimed (during GP Miguel Indurain) that Basque (sounding) names can be an issue for Danish commentators.
Nonsense! Just say it quickly, not like the majority of Danes know how these names are supposed to be pronounced anyway.
Txurruka, Intxausti, Artetxe, Barrenetxea, Goikoetxea, Zarrabeitia, Gaztañaga... I think most people in the world, including myself, would botch the pronunciations of Basque names like that without having heard it pronounced for them before. The letter "X" in certain written names in particular makes it hard to guess right

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Making up facts again: explaining the difficulty of a BotD forming by reference to the increased number of teams. But there are fewer riders, and the same number of teams. 7 teams of 7 this year, 7 teams of 8 from 2014 until last year, and more than 26 teams prior to that.

If you make up facts, and then use them to explain what is happening in the race, it gives the impression that you don't have a clue what is going on.

Except this was also mentioned by Kelly and Stephens - And in fact Stephens a bit of time explaining the changes - But blame Kelly for everything.

I see the braying hounds are at it again. Shocking!
One perceived misstep made by my man Carlton Kirby sends everyone to their keyboards to howl at the moon.
Alas, I was not able to find the eurosport feed and missed CK's coverage of De Ronde. I was listening to a sporza feed.
Anyway, I'm going to venture a guess that CK said Niki, Pederson is going to bring it home. That's a huge difference from saying Niki Pederson is going to bring it home. Even if the guy did have a temporary brain fart, think about the thousands of words that came out of his mouth in the hours preceding. All of which were probably pretty much legendary.
p.s. For what it is worth, I once again agree with every word yaco says.

the delgados said:
One perceived misstep made by my man Carlton Kirby sends everyone to their keyboards to howl at the moon.
Alas, I was not able to find the eurosport feed and missed CK's coverage of De Ronde. I was listening to a sporza feed.
Anyway, I'm going to venture a guess that CK said Niki, Pederson is going to bring it home. That's a huge difference from saying Niki Pederson is going to bring it home. Even if the guy did have a temporary brain fart, think about the thousands of words that came out of his mouth in the hours preceding. All of which were probably pretty much legendary.
What about the dozens of times that he has referred to Contador or Quintana as "Alberto Quintana"?
Yes, with this in mind, I'm sure "Niki Pedersen" was meant to be "Niki, Pedersen" :rolleyes:

LaFlorecita said:
the delgados said:
What about the dozens of times that he has referred to Contador or Quintana as "Alberto Quintana"?
Yes, with this in mind, I'm sure "Niki Pedersen" was meant to be "Niki, Pedersen" :rolleyes:

Like I said, LaFlorecita, I didn't watch the Euorsport feed and was just guessing about the intentions of my man Carlton Kirby. You may very well be right; the Kirbster may have misspoken at a crucial part of the race. But I'm willing to bet that every word he said before was book-worthy. I'm still trying to find the eurosport feed.

I suppose it probably was a case of an unheard comma, just seemed a bit funny that it - for a brief while - sounded like he confused Mads for a speedway driver. :p

ClassicomanoLuigi said:
RedheadDane said:
Thomas Bay just claimed (during GP Miguel Indurain) that Basque (sounding) names can be an issue for Danish commentators.
Nonsense! Just say it quickly, not like the majority of Danes know how these names are supposed to be pronounced anyway.
Txurruka, Intxausti, Artetxe, Barrenetxea, Goikoetxea, Zarrabeitia, Gaztañaga... I think most people in the world, including myself, would botch the pronunciations of Basque names like that without having heard it pronounced for them before. The letter "X" in certain written names in particular makes it hard to guess right

That's my point! None of us knows how those names are supposed to be pronounced, so if the commentators just say them really fast - sounding like they totally know - most people will probably believe they're pronouncing them correct.

LaFlorecita said:
the delgados said:

Im pretty sure Carlton has commentated on the speedway on Eurosport over the years, Nicki Pedersen is a former speedway world champion which may begin to explain this particular mix up.

yaco said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Except this was also mentioned by Kelly and Stephens - And in fact Stephens a bit of time explaining the changes - But blame Kelly for everything.

Where did I attribute, or even tangentially relate, the comment to Kelly. I typed it before Kelly came on air. What makes you think that I have anything against Kelly?

And why would comments made by Stephens (and Kelly, had he been implicated) not be apposite to mention in a thread about EuroSport commentary, given that he is (they are) part of the EuroSport commentary team.

Pricey_sky said:
LaFlorecita said:
the delgados said:

Im pretty sure Carlton has commentated on the speedway on Eurosport over the years, Nicki Pedersen is a former speedway world champion which may begin to explain this particular mix up.

The guy in 2nd place was Mads Pedersen.

So why oh why was Matt Stephens replaced by the idiot Kirby in the last 60kms ??? !!!!!
Kirby named Lampaert, Sagan - oh he just loves Sagan because its easy to remember and an easy palmares to recall, GVA and of course Luke Rowe. Did he name any other rider ?? dont think so.

The other riders he always mentions are 'the chasing group, the breakaway, and the following riders'. TOO LAZY TO LOOK AT THE STARTLIST !!
We still await the day when this bafoon will get off our screens and go do the local amateur dramatics society in Derby all a favour.

Re:

Cycle Chic said:
So why oh why was Matt Stephens replaced by the idiot Kirby in the last 60kms ??? !!!!!
Kirby named Lampaert, Sagan - oh he just loves Sagan because its easy to remember and an easy palmares to recall, GVA and of course Luke Rowe. Did he name any other rider ?? dont think so.

He mentioned Oscar Gatto about 400 times. Clearly had some money on him!

Are they told to leave as minimal silence as possible? If they aren't skilled enough to tell us a lot of informative details about the racing then fine, but let us just enjoy some 5-10 second phases of being able to hear silence or the crowd, the helicopter, etc.. ... instead of useless filler. Referring to DDV and RVV as the latest races but in general also. The commentary isn't so bad... could be much worse... but some of their issues seem to come from sheer laziness which is unacceptable. Not looking at the startlist being an example mentioned a few posts back.

Armchair cyclist said:
yaco said:
Armchair cyclist said:

Where did I attribute, or even tangentially relate, the comment to Kelly. I typed it before Kelly came on air. What makes you think that I have anything against Kelly?

And why would comments made by Stephens (and Kelly, had he been implicated) not be apposite to mention in a thread about EuroSport commentary, given that he is (they are) part of the EuroSport commentary team.

So which commentator/s were you referring to in your post - And if your post happened before Eurosport came on air ( they covered the whole race ) your post makes no sense.

I remember there was some discussion during the telecast and that Kelly and Stephens surmised having extra teams ( their words ) was a reason why it took 70 kilometres for the break to form.

Davesta said:
Cycle Chic said:

He mentioned Oscar Gatto about 400 times. Clearly had some money on him!
It's spelt gateaux actually

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts