• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 141 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

the delgados said:
tobydawq said:
I merely stated that a presenter should have a deep knowledge on the subject he is paid to present on international broadcasts. That's hardly an unfair demand.

I merely stated that Carlton Kirby either answered the hypothetical question correctly, or his Eurosport employers doesn't give a rats **** if could name ten riders and their last result.
Like I said, to each their own. No one can make you like Kirby, but the vitriol directed toward him is borderline bizarre.
If you feel Kirby should have a "deep knowledge on the subject" then you might want to take it up with the head honchos at Eurosport. Clearly they disagree, otherwise he would not have a friggin job.
Kirby is there for a reason. That being his employers have decided he is good at his job. I'm sure they take feedback from people ranging from those who know next to nothing about the sport and those who know a lot and think he's the best. (I kid about the last part of the sentence.)
Going back to the "Deep knowledge" part, it has been stated on many occasions that it's the job of Kirby's cohort to fill in the blanks. The guy covers a wide variety of sports. His job is not to be a friggin genius in any one. It's the job of the Sean's and Magnus's of the world to fill in the blanks.
Take it easy on my man Carlton Kirby, will ya?
You guys are probably making him cry in his beer.
Carlton? You there?
I love ya, buddy.
Keep up the great work.

Fill in the blanks !! cohorts !! Kirby is the one that should be the side kick NOT the professional ex-cyclist / commentator who can talk about the race and riders.

Cycle Chic said:
the delgados said:
tobydawq said:
I merely stated that a presenter should have a deep knowledge on the subject he is paid to present on international broadcasts. That's hardly an unfair demand.

I merely stated that Carlton Kirby either answered the hypothetical question correctly, or his Eurosport employers doesn't give a rats **** if could name ten riders and their last result.
Like I said, to each their own. No one can make you like Kirby, but the vitriol directed toward him is borderline bizarre.
If you feel Kirby should have a "deep knowledge on the subject" then you might want to take it up with the head honchos at Eurosport. Clearly they disagree, otherwise he would not have a friggin job.
Kirby is there for a reason. That being his employers have decided he is good at his job. I'm sure they take feedback from people ranging from those who know next to nothing about the sport and those who know a lot and think he's the best. (I kid about the last part of the sentence.)
Going back to the "Deep knowledge" part, it has been stated on many occasions that it's the job of Kirby's cohort to fill in the blanks. The guy covers a wide variety of sports. His job is not to be a friggin genius in any one. It's the job of the Sean's and Magnus's of the world to fill in the blanks.
Take it easy on my man Carlton Kirby, will ya?
You guys are probably making him cry in his beer.
Carlton? You there?
I love ya, buddy.
Keep up the great work.

Fill in the blanks !! cohorts !! Kirby is the one that should be the side kick NOT the professional ex-cyclist / commentator who can talk about the race and riders.

Take it up with Eurosport. See what they have to say.
This dialogue is beyond stupid.

Is Kirby any worse than Phil? Although at this point with Phil I think it's his age as he can't keep riders straight anymore. At least at this point it seems he's only doing the Tour and thankfully NBC is putting Vande Velde in the broadcast booth more and more.

Re:

Koronin said:
Is Kirby any worse than Phil? Although at this point with Phil I think it's his age as he can't keep riders straight anymore. At least at this point it seems he's only doing the Tour and thankfully NBC is putting Vande Velde in the broadcast booth more and more.

He did a number of Australian races back in Jan - Tour Down Under and Herald Sun Tour, probably Cadel as well though I only heard the Eurosport coverage of it.

argyllflyer said:
Koronin said:

He did a number of Australian races back in Jan - Tour Down Under and Herald Sun Tour, probably Cadel as well though I only heard the Eurosport coverage of it.

Those must have been on NBCGold because they weren't on TV here. I get that you need more than one broadcast team, even with the limited races being shown over here.

Re:

argyllflyer said:
It's the role of the ex pro in the No 2 seat to fill in blanks, yes, but generally on the tactical / experience side.

I think it is unarguable that the lead commentator SHOULD know more about the stats side of the sport than the average viewer - whether that is by quietly browsing ProCyclingStats.com, or using their own notes, or simply their own memory I don't really care (though the first is very obvious in broadcasts due to its lack of detail beyond result!)

In terms of Kirby, I think he is at times unduly criticised as he is not the cycling fool he is labelled as. He does seem prone to the occasional brain fart though. He is a very good broadcaster and perhaps missed his calling as a sunny afternoon easy listening radio DJ (he did radio shows in the past) but has carved out a niche in sports commentary.

I agree - so whats Terry Wogan doing commentating on Pro Cycling ?? !! I,m still waiting for Eurosport to answer the question as to why he is being used for races - still no reply.

Sep 6, 2016
Visit site
Re:

Koronin said:
Phil needs to retire at this point. He mixes up riders. Now his descriptions of castles and other things from the countryside is great. However at this point Vande Velde is a better commentator.

Phil has been mixing up riders for as long as I have been watching cycling (10ish years)

Koronin said:
argyllflyer said:
Koronin said:

Those must have been on NBCGold because they weren't on TV here. I get that you need more than one broadcast team, even with the limited races being shown over here.

It was work done directly for TV in Australia and syndicated to whoever wanted it - Eurosport picked up the coverage in Europe.

Disappointed that ITV4 are not covering the Giro. Quite apart from the commentators, they know how to make an evening highlights programme for those of us working in the day, rather than the EuroSport solution: "What's that, an hour to fill in the evening? OK rewind the tape to 36km to go."

Re:

Cycle Chic said:
oh god not Kirby on the Giro !! what on earth are Eurosport thinking !!??

Superb commentary from David Millar on itv4 - explaining team race tactics - best commentator so far imo.

Hey there, Cycle Chic.
Long time no chat. I hope you and family are doing well.
You know what the head honchos at Eurosport are thinking?
They're thinking about ratings. Clearly they think my man Carlton Kirby is up for the job, and so should you!
Cycle (can I call you that?), don't let CK diminish your excitement for the Giro.
Take a sedative. Check your blood pressure before tuning in to each stage. Because whether you like it or not, my man Carlton Kirby will be describing the action in glorious detail.
Hell, you might as well get a physical from your family doctor before tuning in to hear the wonderful sounds of Carlton Kirby. It's a long race!
There's still time, Cycle. Ride on down now to your doctor before it's too late.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Disappointed that ITV4 are not covering the Giro. Quite apart from the commentators, they know how to make an evening highlights programme for those of us working in the day, rather than the EuroSport solution: "What's that, an hour to fill in the evening? OK rewind the tape to 36km to go."

They never do, RCS haven't sold/they haven't brought the rights. ITV have ASO owned Tour (Dauphine)/Vuelta/(i think they even did roubaix one year)

Strawberry_Jams said:
Armchair cyclist said:

They never do, RCS haven't sold/they haven't brought the rights. ITV have ASO owned Tour (Dauphine)/Vuelta/(i think they even did roubaix one year)

Did they not have highlights one year? I'm thinking the year Wiggo went for the Giro. Could be wrong on that though.

There will be highlights though in UK on Quest. Not sure if it will be Eurosport's usual highlights package (both channels owned by Discovery) or the 'world feed' one which is a little more packaged.

TRENDING THREADS