• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 142 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Valv.Piti said:
RedheadDane said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gosh, danish commentator Rene Wenzel just completely ruined my evening watching the Giro. Looked forward to this day for weeks and he is the commentator. Ffs

I don't mind the commentators - that much - it's just the... constant... add... breaks... that's bugging me.
I just hope Bay will return, he just ruins it for me.
I just watched the complete stage coverage on Danish Eurosport without a single commercial break. I think Bay & Holm/Worre are scheduled for the rest of the stages.

Baldinger said:
Valv.Piti said:
RedheadDane said:
Valv.Piti said:
Gosh, danish commentator Rene Wenzel just completely ruined my evening watching the Giro. Looked forward to this day for weeks and he is the commentator. Ffs

I don't mind the commentators - that much - it's just the... constant... add... breaks... that's bugging me.
I just hope Bay will return, he just ruins it for me.
I just watched the complete stage coverage on Danish Eurosport without a single commercial break. I think Bay & Holm/Worre are scheduled for the rest of the stages.

It's just hard for me to keep track of what's going on without commentating. And apparently they have a "live feeling" thing for the extra channels...

So, maybe they actually listened to my complaining about how it could be nice with commentating on the extra channels! :D

(Though I mostly meant when they randomly decide to not show a race/stage on the regular channels.)

yaco said:
Gotta say that Impey was impressive as a guest commentator - He was a treasure trove of information about riders and tactics and was a natural at broadcasting.

Having a commentator who's currently active (rider or DS) in the sport is the best.

Lander as Co-commentator on the Player Channel?

the delgados said:
Cycle Chic said:
oh god not Kirby on the Giro !! what on earth are Eurosport thinking !!??

Superb commentary from David Millar on itv4 - explaining team race tactics - best commentator so far imo.

Hey there, Cycle Chic.
Long time no chat. I hope you and family are doing well.
You know what the head honchos at Eurosport are thinking?
They're thinking about ratings. Clearly they think my man Carlton Kirby is up for the job, and so should you!
Cycle (can I call you that?), don't let CK diminish your excitement for the Giro.
Take a sedative. Check your blood pressure before tuning in to each stage. Because whether you like it or not, my man Carlton Kirby will be describing the action in glorious detail.
Hell, you might as well get a physical from your family doctor before tuning in to hear the wonderful sounds of Carlton Kirby. It's a long race!
There's still time, Cycle. Ride on down now to your doctor before it's too late.

You sound borderline insane. :(

It was a pleasant surprise that the uninterrupted feed on ES player had the commentary included (Matt Stephens & Rob Hayles). No doubt this was a mistake and it will disappear again tomorrow.

With longer live broadcasts it is going to be a Hatch/Kirby double-act again. At least the commentary is going to be on-site once the race gets back to Italy.

happytramp said:
the delgados said:
Cycle Chic said:
oh god not Kirby on the Giro !! what on earth are Eurosport thinking !!??

Superb commentary from David Millar on itv4 - explaining team race tactics - best commentator so far imo.

Hey there, Cycle Chic.
Long time no chat. I hope you and family are doing well.
You know what the head honchos at Eurosport are thinking?
They're thinking about ratings. Clearly they think my man Carlton Kirby is up for the job, and so should you!
Cycle (can I call you that?), don't let CK diminish your excitement for the Giro.
Take a sedative. Check your blood pressure before tuning in to each stage. Because whether you like it or not, my man Carlton Kirby will be describing the action in glorious detail.
Hell, you might as well get a physical from your family doctor before tuning in to hear the wonderful sounds of Carlton Kirby. It's a long race!
There's still time, Cycle. Ride on down now to your doctor before it's too late.

You sound borderline insane. :(

Hey, I'm just trying to create a friendly atmosphere! You know, make friends with the anti-Kirby-folk and all.
At the end of the day (or three weeks), it's just a bike race, and I don't wish for our contrasting views to cause friction, you happytramp you!
Buckle up and enjoy the ride. This is going to be an interesting Giro narrated by Carlton Kirby.

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Kirby is already spoiling my race

Today he said such rubbish as

David de La Cruz was a great help for Froome at the Vuelta last year
Louis Leon Sanchez has a very poor TT record
and a catalogue of other way off stuff

I couldn't agree more and it is only day one ! He is so annoying!

Re:

Alberto Fishwick said:
It was a pleasant surprise that the uninterrupted feed on ES player had the commentary included (Matt Stephens & Rob Hayles). No doubt this was a mistake and it will disappear again tomorrow.

With longer live broadcasts it is going to be a Hatch/Kirby double-act again. At least the commentary is going to be on-site once the race gets back to Italy.

Stephens & Hayles are doing the world feed direct for RCS (a role Kirby once filled with Dan Lloyd). Ned Boulting has been doing the RCS races in recent times (with Rob) but there's a diary clash with Tour de Yorkshire this year. Wonder if Matt will be bumped upon its conclusion?

Brian Smith talking about the potential for Campanaerts to take pink through time bonuses at the first sprint. If I know that time bonuses are only available at the second one, why should a professional not be expected to?

Edit: And Kirby also saying bonus seconds on both intermediate sprints. Not researching, not being prepared and informed is grossly unprofessional. And Kelly is either equally uninformed or too deferential to Kirby to correct him (or not listening, I suppose).

tobydawq said:
Valv.Piti said:

Bay and Holm comment the first stages on Kanal 5, the horrendous double W duo of Worre and Wenzel on Eurosport.

Lander and that Pedersen dude on the Player.

Lander: "Sometimes you almost carry more bidons than there are riders in the peloton."
I'd love to see that!

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Brian Smith talking about the potential for Campanaerts to take pink through time bonuses at the first sprint. If I know that time bonuses are only available at the second one, why should a professional not be expected to?

Edit: And Kirby also saying bonus seconds on both intermediate sprints. Not researching, not being prepared and informed is grossly unprofessional. And Kelly is either equally uninformed or too deferential to Kirby to correct him (or not listening, I suppose).

Shssssh. Kelly is sleeping.

Watching the Giro yesterday, I was confused who the neo-pro, late call-up was for Quick Step. Rob Hatch was calling him Myrko. I had never heard of him.

Got it now. (though I think it's taking the whole "pronounce it as it is pronounced by the rider themselves" thing too far)

TRENDING THREADS