• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 147 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Delgados - "...especially in cycling, which is a pretty boring sport to watch."

sums you up Kirby - no interest in pro cycling - just doing it because you have a job. Go be a voluntary geography teacher at your local primary school....or Butlins may give you a guest spot on friday comedy night.

Re:

Swiss Tony said:
What a total as$hole.. Shut the {uck-up!! ... He ruins my enjoyment... He suddenly remembers a name says he’s lost a load of weight.. made up fact..the bloke just hasn’t got a clue..What a complete knob!

Are you saying that it is wrong to state that Betancur is at a better weight for a climber than he has been in the last 3-4 years?

Armchair cyclist said:
Swiss Tony said:
What a total as$hole.. Shut the {uck-up!! ... He ruins my enjoyment... He suddenly remembers a name says he’s lost a load of weight.. made up fact..the bloke just hasn’t got a clue..What a complete knob!

Are you saying that it is wrong to state that Betancur is at a better weight for a climber than he has been in the last 3-4 years?

No Dennis.. but if heard it once I’ve heard it 20 times..it’ll be Shaun Yates next!!

Just so pleased they’ve binned him on this Stage with 30 to go

Cycle Chic said:
Delgados - "...especially in cycling, which is a pretty boring sport to watch."

sums you up Kirby - no interest in pro cycling - just doing it because you have a job. Go be a voluntary geography teacher at your local primary school....or Butlins may give you a guest spot on friday comedy night.

Sorry, say what?
All I can hear is talk about the Israel Cycling Academy on the Zoncolan.
Seriously, you're going way out on the leash when saying my man CK has no interest in cycling.
The notion is absurd.
Hang in there, Cycle. The Giro is nearing it's end and then we can all live happily ever after.

Armchair cyclist said:
Swiss Tony said:

The trouble is that it was only two days ago, when he completely mis identified Carlos attacking, that he still couldn't resist a reference to him “frying up”, probably to cover up him completely misidentifying a full face view of one of his favourite riders. Actually I am quite pleased to hear him toning down his “fat” references to Betancur. I just wish now that he would stop referring to Carlos’ weight completely. I think that Kirby takes advantage of saying things about non English speaking riders which he would never say if they spoke English. Wasn't it Ian Stannards wife who objected to him calling her husband “big” that stopped him repeating that a couple of years back? Perhaps we should get Carlos’ wife to send Kirby a tweet!

Kirby is a complete and utter ass
His psuedo 'poetic' slant at the English language just clouds the fact that his is constantly talking tripe and makes him really difficult to listen to
No number of exclamations or squels in the finale of a race can hide that from anyone with an ounce of intellect or taste

But his worse sins are his derisive and personal comments about some riders (nasty attempts at inside humour one imagines) and his ridiculous bias towards others while conveniently ignoring 70% of the peleton

Re:

HelloDolly said:
Kirby is a complete and utter ***
His psuedo 'poetic' slant at the English language just clouds the fact that his is constantly talking tripe and makes him really difficult to listen to
No number of exclamations or squels in the finale of a race can hide that from anyone with an once of intellect or taste

But his worse sins are his derisive and personal comments about some riders (nasty attempts at inside humour one imagines) and his ridiculous bias towards others while conveniently ignoring 70% of the peleton

Wow. Tough crowd!
No need to sugarcoat things, HelloDolly.
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Swiss Tony said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Swiss Tony said:

No Dennis.. but if heard it once I’ve heard it 20 times..it’ll be Shaun Yates next!!

Please explain what you mean by Dennis.

You said that he had made up the fact of Betancur's weight loss: it is clearly not made up. Retract and apologise, or you have outed yourself as an irrational troll.

Armchair cyclist said:
Swiss Tony said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Swiss Tony said:

Please explain what you mean by Dennis.

You said that he had made up the fact of Betancur's weight loss: it is clearly not made up. Retract and apologise, or you have outed yourself as an irrational troll.

He never mentioned Betancur.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Betancur is the only rider that Kirby referred to as having lost weight. Swiss Tony didn't have to name him to refer to a comment made about him.

I beg to differ..Not 15minutes earlier than his Betancur comment he said how he hoped Rohan Dennis had a good day and that he thought he could do having lost lots of weight... Sean Kelly mentioned his weight being comparable to Dumoulin... Before the clown said he’d have to go and look that up!

Swiss Tony said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Betancur is the only rider that Kirby referred to as having lost weight. Swiss Tony didn't have to name him to refer to a comment made about him.

I beg to differ..Not 15minutes earlier than his Betancur comment he said how he hoped Rohan Dennis had a good day and that he thought he could do having lost lots of weight... Sean Kelly mentioned his weight being comparable to Dumoulin... Before the clown said he’d have to go and look that up!

If that's the case, I apologise: I don't recall that discussion.

Armchair cyclist said:
Swiss Tony said:
Armchair cyclist said:

If that's the case, I apologise: I don't recall that discussion.

No worries.. Going to be a cracking final week who ever commentates : )

JosephK said:
Kirby is, predictably, insufferable today with effusive gushing for Froome, his idol.

Let me ask you a question.
What do you think CK's bosses think of CK "gushing" over Froome.
If you think they are not happy, you would be very wrong.
The guy was paid 2 million just to enter the race.
Stop with the "idol" nonsense.
Carlton Kirby does not idolize.
If you or anyone else thinks otherwise, why would anyone say he doesn't like the sport?

the delgados said:
JosephK said:
Kirby is, predictably, insufferable today with effusive gushing for Froome, his idol.

If you or anyone else thinks otherwise, why would anyone say he doesn't like the sport?

Even you cant actually think that ...
Reichenbach, Evans, Clarke, "Turbo Durbo", Dan Martin, Uran, Atapuma, Meintjes, Cummings, Alaphilippe and Froome should be his favorites by a mile!

Akuryo said:
the delgados said:
JosephK said:

Reichenbach, Evans, Clarke, "Turbo Durbo", Dan Martin, Uran, Atapuma, Meintjes, Cummings, Alaphilippe and Froome should be his favorites by a mile!

Ok, ok. I will grant that the word might be inappropriate. I may have gone a bit too far.
I have not heard a single word come out of my man Carlton Kirby this entire Giro, and I think it's making me depressed.
I'm just curious to know how a man who has no clue and hates the sport can idolize anyone who participates in it.

Akuryo said:
the delgados said:
JosephK said:

You forgot Eddy Boss........

Re:

movingtarget said:
Classic Kirby moment :

"Where is Rowan Dennis ? We haven't spotted him in the group yet. "

Dennis was in the middle of the screen, the only rider wearing a red jersey.............

Again, I will give you guys the benefit of the doubt, but I'm genuinely curious to know if his colleague pointed out Rohan Dennis.
Did he say, "He's right there, you dullard!"
Or did his colleague realize that it really didn't matter at that moment?
Seriously, I can point out a series of mistakes made by his colleagues on any given stage; they range from misidentifying riders, to misunderstanding time gaps. Here's the thing: I don't care.
We all have eyes of our own (I hope), but I don't see very many people jump on board to bash them.
Leave my man Carlton Kirby alone, will ya?

the delgados said:
movingtarget said:
Classic Kirby moment :

"Where is Rowan Dennis ? We haven't spotted him in the group yet. "

Dennis was in the middle of the screen, the only rider wearing a red jersey.............

Again, I will give you guys the benefit of the doubt, but I'm genuinely curious to know if his colleague pointed out Rohan Dennis.
Did he say, "He's right there, you dullard!"
Or did his colleague realize that it really didn't matter at that moment?
Seriously, I can point out a series of mistakes made by his colleagues on any given stage; they range from misidentifying riders, to misunderstanding time gaps. Here's the thing: I don't care.
We all have eyes of our own (I hope), but I don't see very many people jump on board to bash them.
Leave my man Carlton Kirby alone, will ya?

I can put up with him and sometimes think he is amusing but sometimes the errors are cringe worthy. I actually don't mind him so much when he is with Kelly. But people put up with Phil and Paul for years so it's all relative. And his excitement at crucial parts of the race can be infectious.