• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 149 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Kirby doing his Grand National commentary yesterday for the Time Trial - what an idiot ! hogged the mic for the entire last 3 riders of the TT....and this from the supposed host / co-commentator who professes that his job is not to name riders or give race info etc.

Re: Re:

the delgados said:
MartinGT said:
has CK finished gushing over Yates yet? Jaysus.

Wait a second. I've been told by people on this thread that my man CK is gushing over Froome and ignoring Yates.
Now I'm really confused.

He was going on as if Yates was Mercx. He was going on as if Yates has smashed 7 GT's in a row winning every stage possible whilst saving a granny at the road side who was having a heart attack.

RedheadDane said:
argyllflyer said:
I tuned in to some of the commentary early on when Kirby and Kelly were trying to make close ups and vertical helicopter shots of riders like Sven Tuft seem interesting. I was glad I had to go out to work! I did learn that Kirby says all Danes are great TTers 'because it's so flat'. You can never tell when he's joking!

:lol:

Good thing Breschel isn't in this race. His rather (in)famous for his terribleness on the TT bike.

Also, who said they're moody?

Michael_Rasmussen_2005_TdF_Stage_20_St_Etienne_ITT.jpg

RedheadDane said:
argyllflyer said:
I tuned in to some of the commentary early on when Kirby and Kelly were trying to make close ups and vertical helicopter shots of riders like Sven Tuft seem interesting. I was glad I had to go out to work! I did learn that Kirby says all Danes are great TTers 'because it's so flat'. You can never tell when he's joking!

Good thing Breschel isn't in this race. His rather (in)famous for his terribleness on the TT bike.

Also, who said they're moody?

Hamlet the moody Dane.

Aug 15, 2017
Visit site
When I knew of Jonathan Edwards in the first half of his athletic career he refused to compete on Sunday's due to his eccentric religious beliefs. (thou shall not work on the Lord's day). I assume that his love of money became stronger that his love of the deity he worshiped. However, I always tune-in on Sundays, just in case he is struck down by a thunderbolt.

Re:

Vince said:
When I knew of Jonathan Edwards in the first half of his athletic career he refused to compete on Sunday's due to his eccentric religious beliefs. (thou shall not work on the Lord's day). I assume that his love of money became stronger that his love of the deity he worshiped. However, I always tune-in on Sundays, just in case he is struck down by a thunderbolt.

Wow, Vince.
Way to clear a room.
Uh, excuse me waiter! I'll get the bill , please!

Re:

Vince said:

He surrendered to Satan and became a heathen a few years ago.

My favourite kelly quote now, produced today at 3.4km to go:

"The giro, we've talked about it many times in the past years, it's one of the best 3 week tour races of the season" :D

Kirby had said prior to, "I don't even know who to cheer for" :D I'm sure the CN forumites can suggest something here!

Re:

tobydawq said:
I just realised that I'm quite surprised to not have seen complaints about this super-annoying drawling borehead whose name I don't know but whose voice will instantly lead me to the mute button:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoCvceSbTn0
Thats Anthony Mccrossan, he is one of the main commenators used be UCI for the world feed of their races (e.g road worlds and cx worlds). He is also the english announcer at the start and finish line for all of the RCS races. His brother, Marty Macdonald, also does commentary.

British Eurosport commentary pairings so far:

(Beyond what ES have already confirmed for early season, I have included Rob Hatch's bookings for the season as they stand, per his twitter)

Tour Down Under (highlights): (world feed - Liggett, McEwan etc)
Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race (highlights): Stephens (solo)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana: Hatch & Stephens (st 1-4), Stephens & Backstedt (st 5)
Herald Sun Tour (highlights): (world feed - Liggett & Keenan)
Dubai Tour: Kirby & Smith
Vuelta a Andalucia: Kirby & Stephens
Volta ao Algarve: (ES Player only - no commentrary)
Abu Dhabi Tour: Quigley & Smith (Stages 1-4), Kirby & Smith (Stage 5)
(Kirby due to do whole event but was ill)
Omloop Het Nieuwsblad: Quigley & Backstedt
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne: Quigley & Backstedt
Tour of Oman: McCrossan (solo) (30 mins world feed package)
Le Samyn: Kirby & Backstedt
Strade Bianche: Kirby & Stephens
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Smith + Andy (?) (stage 1), Harris-Bass (stages 2-)
(Kelly was due to be co-comms but unavailable)
Tirreno-Adriatico: Kirby & Gibb (stages 1-3) / Stephens (stages 4-5), Smith (stages 6-)
Nokere Koerse: Quigley & Smith
Handzame Classic: Hatch & Smith
Milano-Sanremo: Hatch & Stephens
GP De Denain: (no commentary - ES player only)
Tour de Langkawi (highlights): Kirby (solo)
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya: Kirby & Stephens
Driedaagse Bruges - de Panne: Quigley & Backstedt (now a 1 day race!)
E3 Harelbeke: Quigley & Backstedt
Gent-Wevelgem: Quigley & Smith
Dwars door Vlaanderen: Kirby & Smith
GP Miguel Indurain: Quigley & Smith
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Kirby, Stephens & Kelly
Vuelta Ciclista al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Stephens (st. 1-5), Stephens & Backstedt (st 6)
Scheldeprijs: Quigley & Smith
Paris-Roubaix: Hatch, Quigley & Kelly (with Will Fotheringham)
De Brabantse Pijl: Quigley & Backstedt
Amstel Gold Race: Kirby & Smith
Tro Bro Leon: Quigley & Smith
Tour of the Alps: Kirby & Backstedt (st. 1-3), Gibb (st. 4-)
Tour of Croatia: Quigley & Smith
La Fleche Wallonne: Hatch & Stephens
Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Hatch & Kelly
Tour de Romandie: Kirby & Smith
Eschborn-Frankfurt: Kirby & Smith
Tour de Yorkshire: Harris-Bass & Backstedt
Giro d'Italia: Kirby, Hatch, Smith & Kelly with Harris-Bass (plus guests)
4 Days of Dunkirk: ES Player only (no commentary)
Vuelta Aragon: Quigley (solo)
Tour of California: Quigley & Backstedt
GP Marcel Kint: ES Player only (no commentary)
Tour de l'Ain: Quigley & Backstedt
Tour of Belgium: ES Player only (no commentary)
Tour Series (all rounds): MacDonald & Gibb (syndicated - also on ITV4)
Hammer Series Limburg: Quigley & McEwan (ES Player Only)
Heistse Pijl: ES Player only (no commentary)
Criterium du Dauphine: Kirby & Stephens
Tour de Suisse: Quigley & Smith
Tour of Slovenia: Hatch & Backstedt
La Route D'Occitanie: Harris-Bass & Stephens (stage 1), (stage 2 ESP only), Stephens & Gibb (stage 3), (stage 4 ES Player only)
Dwars Door Het Hageland: ES Player only (no commentary)
Halle-Ingooigem: Kirby & Stephens
Spanish Road Championships: Quigley & Smith
UK Road Championships: Boulting & Stephens (live, host broadcaster feed) / Quigley & Smith (repeats)
French Road Championships: Quigley & Smith
BC Grand Prix Series: Tour of the Reservoir: Quigley & James McCallum (British Cycling production)
Dutch Road Championships: Quigley (solo)
Tour de France: Kirby, Hatch, Kelly & Smith
BC Grand Prix Series: Bristol GP: tbc
BC Grand Prix Series: Stockton GP: tbc
Tour de Pologne: Hatch & ??
BC Grand Prix Series: Leicester Castle Classic: tbc
BC Grand Prix Series: Rydale GP: tbc

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Well, Carlton kirby I can handle, but I just can’t take anymore of Brin Smith repeatedly saying, Tour de France, Tour de France, Tour de Frances !. The problem only made worse by the boring drone of his Scottish accent.

I’m off to ITV.

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
David Millar takes a tongue in cheek dig at Sean Kelly: "They might go for the time bo... bonus. Almost said bonification there."

Lol that is class. Lets be honest Sean Kelly only gets away with his rambling nonsense about bonifications and the last number of days because of the respect engendered to him from his outstanding palmares in a well loved era of racing.

ITV4 coverage is so much better than Eurosport though I do like Brian Smith. The big benefit to having two broadcasters in the UK is that often they will have different ad breaks meaning you can chop between them on big mountain days and miss far less of the action.

TRENDING THREADS