• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 158 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re: Re:

Eyeballs Out said:
luckyboy said:
So how about the new Eurosport pre- and post-stage show with Orla Chennaoui, Matt Stephens, Dan Lloyd and co?
I've enjoyed it the last couple of days with Roche Jr and Dan Lloyd

Generally I can't stand all this studio chatter but have watched it a couple of times now just to check it out.
Bradley Wiggins and Simon Gerrans didn't work at all for me, they don't seem to like each other much or is it just Bradley who doesn't like anyone? Orla must have one of the most irritating voices there is - I cannot listen to her so sort of switch off on what she is saying.
Having said that I have enjoyed listening to the Dan Lloyd , Nico Roche and Brian Smith Combo much more. I would still prefer to be watching the podium presentations though and I do think the chit chat goes on far too long particularly when not a lot has happened during the race total about.

Valv.Piti said:
Brullnux said:
Hatch is a fantastic commentator btw. Have really enjoyed listening to him this giro - and its only five stages in!
Yeah, Rob Hatch is one of the absolutely best ou there. Slightly overdoing it with the names tho :D
Definitely overdoing it with the hysterics. All the "Oh No No No No No, We Do Not Need to See That" stuff. I wish he could commentate on a crash without it sounding like a grave incident, or a rider getting dropped even though it's been clear for days they have no form, or reporting clinic issues as if somebody died

Re:

Armchair cyclist said:
Who is this Felix guy in the studio chat? He doesn't seem to have heard of the 3 second rule for timing gaps on a flat stage: how can he be taken seriously as a reporter if he is unaware of things like that?

Who? I've been switching to English feed whenever ES-Denmark has one of their one billion ad-breaks, and the only guys I've noticed in the studio are N. Roche, D. LLoyd, and B. Smith (and only figured out who he is today).

RedheadDane said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Who is this Felix guy in the studio chat? He doesn't seem to have heard of the 3 second rule for timing gaps on a flat stage: how can he be taken seriously as a reporter if he is unaware of things like that?

Who? I've been switching to English feed whenever ES-Denmark has one of their one billion ad-breaks, and the only guys I've noticed in the studio are N. Roche, D. LLoyd, and B. Smith (and only figured out who he is today).

Felix Lowe. He was on yesterday. aka Eurosport's Blazin' Saddles.

http://www.felixlowe.com/

British Eurosport commentary pairings so far (mens .WT, .HC and .1 only):

Tour Down Under (highlights): (world feed - Liggett & McEwan)
Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race: (world feed - Keenan & McEwan w/ Evans)
Vuelta a San Juan: Hatch & Backstedt (stage 1), Stephens (stage 2-7)
Challenge Mallorca: Hatch (solo)
Herald Sun Tour (highlights): (world feed - Keenan & David McKenzie)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana: Hatch & Smith
Tour of Oman (recap): (world feed - Marty MacDonald)
Clasica de Almeria: (ES Player only)
Trofeo Laigueglia: (ES Player only)
Volta ao Algarve: Hatch & Stephens (stages 1-3), Simon Gerrans (stages 4&5)
Vuelta a Andalucia: Kirby & Smith
UAE Tour: Hatch & Gerrans (stage 1), Smith (stage 2-7)
Omloop Het Niewsblad: Quigley & Backstedt
Kuurne-Bruxelles-Kuurne: Quigley & Backstedt
Le Samyn: Hatch & Backstedt
Strade Bianche: Hatch & Backstedt
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
Tirreno-Adriatico: Kirby & Smith
Tour de Taiwan: Kirby (solo)
Nokere Koerse: Hatch & Backstedt
Bredene Koksijde (formerly Handzame) Classic: Stephens & Backstedt
Milan-Sanremo: Hatch & Stephens
Tour of Catalunya: Kirby & Stephens
Driedaagse Brugge-De Panne: Hatch & Smith (men) / Lucy Martin (women)
E3 Binckbank Classic: Hatch & Backstedt
Gent-Wevelgem: Quigley & Smith
Dwars Door Vlaanderen: Kirby & Smith
Giro di Sicilia: Quigley (solo stage 1) & Smith (stage 2-)
Ronde van Vlaanderen: Kirby, Quigley, Kelly & Stephens
Vuelta al Pais Vasco: Kirby & Smith
Scheldeprijs: Quigley & Backstedt
Paris-Roubaix: Hatch, Quigley, Kelly & Stephens
Tour of Turkey: Kirby & Smith
De Brabantse Pijl: Quigley & Stephens
Amstel Gold Race: Quigley & Kelly
Tour of the Alps: Hatch & Stephens (stages 1-3, 5), Backstedt (stage 4) (live from Monday 22nd April)
Tro Bro Leon: Quigley & Backstedt
La Fleche Wallonne: Kirby & Stephens
Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Hatch & Smith
Tour de Romandie: Kirby & Smith
Eschborn-Frankfurt: Quigley & Stephens
Tour de Yorkshire: Quigley & Gibb
Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Kelly (UK) / Kirby & Backstedt (International) (live from Sat 11th May)
Tour of California: Kirby & Smith (stages 1-3), Gibb & Smith (stage 4-) (live from Sun 12th May)
4 Jours de Dunkerque: Gibb & Colin Sturgess
Tour de l'Ain: Gibb & Sturgess
GP Marcel Kint: (ES Player only)
Circuit de Wallonie: (ES Player only)
GP de Plumelec - Morbihan: (ES Player only)
Criterium du Dauphine: Hatch & Stephens

Selected future events confirmed

Tour de France: tbc
Vuelta a Espana: tbc

I don't hear Gibb much but he has been atrocious in California. Can't identify a rider for the life of him – on stage 4 he said QuickStep takes the win ahead of UAE. Today he was saying Higuita/Pogacar group would be catching Schachmann soon, when he was caught like a kilometre before.

I mean Kirby gets annoying, and Smith comes out with some daft stuff sometimes (in the post-race he and Blythe seemed to have no idea why Formolo might want to ride and gain time vs play games for the win, or why Trek would help to chase down Bilbao/Formolo) but this is just basic stuff lol...

I trust we all have this on pre-order?

D7MOAiKWwAERXPz.jpg:large

Some of the 'reviews' Bloomsbury picked, lol https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/magic-spanner-9781472959867/

“I've heard all these stories before, but it was great to read them in silence...” – Dan Lloyd, GCN presenter and winner of the 2008 Vuelta Extremadura

“Get that bloody [Carlton] Kirby down here – I'd like to give him a good slap” – Mark Cavendish,

“[Carlton Kirby] You make it sound like I'm not paying attention” – Chris Froome,

I wonder how many pages are going to be about Seb Reichenbach, Simon Clarke and motorbikes passing within 2 metres of the break??

Re:

luckyboy said:
Some of the 'reviews' Bloomsbury picked, lol https://www.bloomsbury.com/uk/magic-spanner-9781472959867/

“I've heard all these stories before, but it was great to read them in silence...” – Dan Lloyd, GCN presenter and winner of the 2008 Vuelta Extremadura

“Get that bloody [Carlton] Kirby down here – I'd like to give him a good slap” – Mark Cavendish,

“[Carlton Kirby] You make it sound like I'm not paying attention” – Chris Froome,

I wonder how many pages are going to be about Seb Reichenbach, Simon Clarke and motorbikes passing within 2 metres of the break??

Nice reviews and they mean every word of it.............

Re:

luckyboy said:

The biggest question is, will Manny Bookman embed himself or impose himself?

Squire said:
luckyboy said:

The biggest question is, will Manny Bookman embed himself or impose himself?

At least he stopped suggesting that Bora were trying to set up sprints for Buchmann when he eventually realised that he and Ackermann are different people.

movingtarget said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Annoying to have Hatch constantly referring to Lopez as 'Superman': makes him sound like a fanboy rather than an informed and unbiased commentator.

In other words, makes him more Kirby-esque.

Have to admit he was getting on my nerves a bit yesterday and some long silences from Sean...........

Couldn't agree more. I generally like Rob Hatch's commentary but he seems to be making himself more like Kirby, getting overly excited and very pro certain riders, although the Yates worship has toned down since the last TT result.
I am beginning to wonder whether he has been told to make himself a bit more like Kirby so that they can justify using him instead of Kirby going forward.

TRENDING THREADS