• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 159 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Re:

Libertine Seguros said:
I trust we all have this on pre-order?

D7MOAiKWwAERXPz.jpg:large

Absolutely no chance Whatsoever!

Re: Re:

mariposa said:
movingtarget said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Annoying to have Hatch constantly referring to Lopez as 'Superman': makes him sound like a fanboy rather than an informed and unbiased commentator.

In other words, makes him more Kirby-esque.

Have to admit he was getting on my nerves a bit yesterday and some long silences from Sean...........

Couldn't agree more. I generally like Rob Hatch's commentary but he seems to be making himself more like Kirby, getting overly excited and very pro certain riders, although the Yates worship has toned down since the last TT result.
I am beginning to wonder whether he has been told to make himself a bit more like Kirby so that they can justify using him instead of Kirby going forward.

Then why not just use Kirby (qm) Unless you know something we don't, the network wouldn't be wasting time trying to create another Kirby. They already have one.
If your theory has some traction, that would just go to show that my man Carlton Kirby is beloved by the masses. CK has a ton of positive feedback from non-cyclists. Otherwise, the network would not be doing what you are suggesting. That is a fact. We all know that there is a general culture of disdain held with those who ride their bike more than 400 k a week. One can only speculate why.

I really haven't noticed Hatch being favourable about riders to be honest, at least not to the extent that Kirby is. Don't think he is as excited as Kirby either, with all the yelling and stuff.

He is clearly the best British ES guy for identifying riders, getting pronounciations right and adding little facts and historical notes into the commentary. I think Kirby isn't too good at the last point. Kirby is largely fine though, and probably better for fans who aren't total expert/nerds like everyone here.

Hatch and Stephens is the best commentary duo, imo. It's a shame Stephens is send out to interview James Knox and Matt White every day during this Giro. Just send Ashley, Simon Richardson, Laura out to do interviews like that.

Stephens would be better doing some jokey pre-recorded stuff, a stage recon video, and in the commentary box.

Re:

luckyboy said:
I really haven't noticed Hatch being favourable about riders to be honest, at least not to the extent that Kirby is. Don't think he is as excited as Kirby either, with all the yelling and stuff.

He is clearly the best British ES guy for identifying riders, getting pronounciations right and adding little facts and historical notes into the commentary. I think Kirby isn't too good at the last point. Kirby is largely fine though, and probably better for fans who aren't total expert/nerds like everyone here.

Hatch and Stephens is the best commentary duo, imo. It's a shame Stephens is send out to interview James Knox and Matt White every day during this Giro. Just send Ashley, Simon Richardson, Laura out to do interviews like that.

Stephens would be better doing some jokey pre-recorded stuff, a stage recon video, and in the commentary box.

Yeah Stephens is good. Don't mind Magnus either. Hatch has been pretty good.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
Fellow Danes! I have a question…
"Landa was a black asphalt spot?" :confused: Somethhing that happened on stage 14?

I don't think this is a question.

But Thomas Bay was yelling and dramatising because of - nothing - one day. Apparently, he mistook a black spot on the road for Landa and thought he had crashed when in fact nothing of the sort had happened.

I don't know if this answers your "question".

the delgados said:
mariposa said:
movingtarget said:
Armchair cyclist said:
Annoying to have Hatch constantly referring to Lopez as 'Superman': makes him sound like a fanboy rather than an informed and unbiased commentator.

In other words, makes him more Kirby-esque.

Have to admit he was getting on my nerves a bit yesterday and some long silences from Sean...........

Couldn't agree more. I generally like Rob Hatch's commentary but he seems to be making himself more like Kirby, getting overly excited and very pro certain riders, although the Yates worship has toned down since the last TT result.
I am beginning to wonder whether he has been told to make himself a bit more like Kirby so that they can justify using him instead of Kirby going forward.

Then why not just use Kirby (qm) Unless you know something we don't, the network wouldn't be wasting time trying to create another Kirby. They already have one.
If your theory has some traction, that would just go to show that my man Carlton Kirby is beloved by the masses. CK has a ton of positive feedback from non-cyclists. Otherwise, the network would not be doing what you are suggesting. That is a fact. We all know that there is a general culture of disdain held with those who ride their bike more than 400 k a week. One can only speculate why.

The key words were "a bit like Kirby" The full blown version spouts insuperable twaddle most of the time and is beginning to outwear his welcome.

I haven't actually met one person who likes Kirby as a commentator, cyclist or non cyclist. All his support seems to be on forums like this.

Re:

luckyboy said:
Hatch ... is clearly the best British ES guy for identifying riders, getting pronounciations right and adding little facts and historical notes into the commentary.

I think he tends to over-pronounce on the languages that he is competent in, and I do sometimes wonder whether it is a confident pronunciation or a guess based on some exposure to the languages in question.

But what is with the pronunciation of Gabriel Cullaigh? The abbreviation of the first name to "Gabs" is horrible (IMHO), but might be the rider's choice, but 'Cullayg'? Surely it is an Irish or Scots derived name: 'Cully' with perhaps a slight aspiration on the final syllable.

But there again, I always assume that Geoghegan-Hart's forename should rhyme with 'cow'. The way they say it always reminds me of Irish crisps.

Really can't see ES replacing Kirby - he's their No 1 - and has never done the Giro for them as lead anyway so his dunting to the International sphere is not a sign of anything. Hatch has done the Giro since 2014 - though CK was involved in 2018 when the stage length increased. CK will be in the saddle for all of the biggies to come, as ever.

Eurosport strikes again with the two mountain stages of Dauphine that go to the player because of Le Mans, why not trying a third channel? Next year there are also the Olympics and they really need space.

Anyway a couple of days ago Gregorio said that they bought the Tour de Suisse exclusive for the next five years, at least a very good news.

Re:

Nirvana said:
Eurosport strikes again with the two mountain stages of Dauphine that go to the player because of Le Mans, why not trying a third channel? Next year there are also the Olympics and they really need space.

Anyway a couple of days ago Gregorio said that they bought the Tour de Suisse exclusive for the next five years, at least a very good news.

Not recognising him, in house for the event though rather than ES.

Re:

RedheadDane said:
No! It isn't!
There goes my change to watch it on a channel that doesn't interrupt with ad breaks every 10 minutes, and postpone the programme because there's a rain-delay in some tennis match.
I understand your point, i also would have preferred a 3/4 hours coverage like when was on Bike Channel but at the moment here it's Eurosport or nothing like happened recently with Norway.

Nirvana said:
RedheadDane said:
No! It isn't!
There goes my change to watch it on a channel that doesn't interrupt with ad breaks every 10 minutes, and postpone the programme because there's a rain-delay in some tennis match.
I understand your point, i also would have preferred a 3/4 hours coverage like when was on Bike Channel but at the moment here it's Eurosport or nothing like happened recently with Norway.

Maybe… but why do those of us who have other options have to be punished?
(and in Norway it was, well, nothing or... FB feed...)

---
Someone needs to give the guy commenting Belgium Tour on the Player a geography lesson. A few days ago he first called Gregaard (who, btw, has never actually been in the race) Norwegian, and then Alex Kirsch Dutch. Today he just called Emils Liepins Austrian...

TRENDING THREADS