• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 162 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qy8byWGvrDE

Greetings and salutations, cyclingnews forum members. To all the Kirby haters out there, check out the livestream of the race in Montreal. It's a great compare/contrast between pro broadcasters and those who come off the street. God bless the guys in the booth, but the commentary is atrocious. We're talking painfully boring.
Point being is it's a perfect example of how hard it is to maintain interest when commenting on a race where absolutely nothing is happening. At least Kirby spices things up a little with his anecdotes and metaphors. Also, as has been stated a million times, he calls the end of a race like no other.
Hashtag Kirby is the best.

Well, award for worst editing of a bike race highlights show goes without a doubt to Eurosport's editing team. Lombardy cuts to ad with 50km to go. Returns 5 mins later but having missed out 35km of racing, within which time the 2 leaders were caught on a climb and Mollema, who was part of the bunch pre-break, had managed to establish the significant lead he would not give up to win.

Appalling.

Well, award for worst editing of a bike race highlights show goes without a doubt to Eurosport's editing team. Lombardy cuts to ad with 50km to go. Returns 5 mins later but having missed out 35km of racing, within which time the 2 leaders were caught on a climb and Mollema, who was part of the bunch pre-break, had managed to establish the significant lead he would not give up to win.

Appalling.

The live edition was appalling as well. A commercial break on the freaking Civiglio.

I'm glad Danish TV2 transmit the other monuments so I don't have to watch commercials the final time up the Oude Kwaremont and on the Carrefour de l'Arbre next year...

Reactions: RedheadDane
And then they lost picture on the TV channel (I was saved by using the non-commentated Player channel), and when the picture returned the commentators were gone; thought they'd given up and just decided to home...

Yeah, I also changed to the non-commentary version but how the hell could they show pictures there when it apparently was impossible on the main channel?

Reactions: RedheadDane
Another year, another solo attack from Argyll Flyer... can I last the pace for the 8th year in a row...?!

Vuelta a San Juan (live from Sun 26th Jan): Quigley & Smith
Tour Down Under (highlights): Liggett, McEwan & Vogt (International Comms package) (30 mins highlights from 28/1)
Challenge Mallorca (highlights): tbc (20 min highlights from 31/1)
Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race (90 mins highlights from 3/2): Kirby & Adam Blythe
Saudi Tour (live from 4/2): Kirby & Blythe
Herald Sun Tour: Matt Keenan & David MacKenzie (International Comms package)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 5/2): Kirby & Gerrans
Tour de Langkawi (live from 7/2): Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Provence: (ES Player only)
Clasica De Almeria (Highlights 16/2): Stephens & Steve Cummings
Volta ao Algarve: Hatch & Blythe (live from 19/2)
Vuelta Andalusía: tbc (live from 19/2)
UAE Tour: Hatch & Smith (live from 23/2)
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly (live from 8/3)
Tirreno-Adriatico: tbc (live from 11/3)

Last edited:
Reactions: postmanhat
As long as he can avoid distracting the others - and himself - with his... errr… interesting shirt choice.

But, yeah, he seems to know his stuff, and I always think it's cool when riders who're still active/fresh out of the peloton are commentators; they just have some insider-knowledge that people who retired 10-20 years ago don't have.

Reactions: hayneplane

TRENDING THREADS