• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 165 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Reactions: search
Just a quick note to chime in about the indomitable brilliance of my man Carlton Kirby. The guy brushes off criticism like gnats on his back and takes on one of the weirdest cycling disciplines imaginable. That's right, ladies and gents, Kirby was on hand at the track wc's and put on a brilliant display commentating the Keirin. What the hell is that all about? Anyway, he took time away from calling a bowling event, a darting event and a motocross GP to introduce you to the weird world of keirin with class and his signature form of folksy grace. Carlton Kirby is awesome. That is all...for now.

Just a quick note to chime in about the indomitable brilliance of my man Carlton Kirby. The guy brushes off criticism like gnats on his back and takes on one of the weirdest cycling disciplines imaginable. That's right, ladies and gents, Kirby was on hand at the track wc's and put on a brilliant display commentating the Keirin. What the hell is that all about? Anyway, he took time away from calling a bowling event, a darting event and a motocross GP to introduce you to the weird world of keirin with class and his signature form of folksy grace. Carlton Kirby is awesome. That is all...for now.
Oh right m, how he told us Sagan was down in crash in the run-intoday yet Sagan finished near the front of the sprint. Or let’s just turn back to hat classic where he would bet against Remco would dropping Mayrhofer on the final climb in Innsbruck.
The guy has next to zero cycling IQ. Like I said he actively blocks anyone who is a threat to his position because he knows he’s a fraud.

Oh right m, how he told us Sagan was down in crash in the run-intoday yet Sagan finished near the front of the sprint. Or let’s just turn back to hat classic where he would bet against Remco would dropping Mayrhofer on the final climb in Innsbruck.
The guy has next to zero cycling IQ. Like I said he actively blocks anyone who is a threat to his position because he knows he’s a fraud.

"Next to zero cycling IQ " are the operative words here. Since there is no negative to zero, that means he has some cycling knowledge. That is all that's asked of him.
I don't know why people think he should correctly call every race winner. Sporting events are appealing because of the inherent unpredictable aspect of what you're watching. No one would tune in to a bike race or football match, etc..if they already knew who won. That would get old really quick.
So what that my man Carlton Kirby incorrectly predicted to eventual race winner? Who cares?
So what that my man Carlton Kirby failed to immediately recognize a fallen rider in the peloton? Other than the braying hounds, no one cares.
That's why he is paid to call sporting events. He has panache and a unique style of filling in dead air.
CK has every right to block those who criticize him for no reason other than he's not a friggin race director who can predict the future.
I may have mentioned this in the past, but I kid you not when saying my friend's parents were turned on to cycling because of Carlton Kirby. They never turned a pedal in anger their entire life, but they became enchanted with cycling because of Carlton Kirby's folksy manner.
Carlton, I hope you're reading this, if only to boost your spirits.

Reactions: Sandisfan

I'll agree, but i also think it's not true that he doesn't know the sport, he certainly knows at least as much as i do, and i'm sure he enjoys it too. For expert opinion there's Sean Kelly, or backstedt or whoever depending on the race.

You can't expect them to immediately recognise every race number, and anyway, do we even want commentators to be perfect? Isn't part of the fun wondering If it's rider A or B who fell down or who's coming forward on the side? Who's theguy who just attacked, is it this one or that one?

Cycling is a boring sport, i like that. Not really knowing what's going on is a big part of the entertainment for me, and i don't want the commentators to tell me everything.

"Next to zero cycling IQ " are the operative words here. Since there is no negative to zero, that means he has some cycling knowledge. That is all that's asked of him.
I don't know why people think he should correctly call every race winner. Sporting events are appealing because of the inherent unpredictable aspect of what you're watching. No one would tune in to a bike race or football match, etc..if they already knew who won. That would get old really quick.
So what that my man Carlton Kirby incorrectly predicted to eventual race winner? Who cares?
So what that my man Carlton Kirby failed to immediately recognize a fallen rider in the peloton? Other than the braying hounds, no one cares.
That's why he is paid to call sporting events. He has panache and a unique style of filling in dead air.
CK has every right to block those who criticize him for no reason other than he's not a friggin race director who can predict the future.
I may have mentioned this in the past, but I kid you not when saying my friend's parents were turned on to cycling because of Carlton Kirby. They never turned a pedal in anger their entire life, but they became enchanted with cycling because of Carlton Kirby's folksy manner.
Carlton, I hope you're reading this, if only to boost your spirits.

The whole point of a play by play announcer is to provide energy and provide a description of what is going on, but if you can’t even do that correctly most of the time then you are useless. The whole point of pointing out errors is that the average viewer doesn’t necessarily know one rider from another save for knowing that different riders wear different riders wear different jerseys.

When you don’t provide correct information it shows a lack of preparedness for your profession and it kills your credibility. Hard to respect someone who doesn’t prepare properly to do his his job correctly. People make mistakes sure but his are constant and completely illogical, which make his broadcasts untenable because as a viewer have little to no reason to believe what is coming out of his mouth.

Panache is great but there are plenty of announcers with panache who can also call races correctly and have a clue what is happening. It’s not a good look when I a viewer at home watching on my phone have much better idea of what is happening than the guy calling the race.

The whole point of a play by play announcer is to provide energy and provide a description of what is going on, but if you can’t even do that correctly most of the time then you are useless. The whole point of pointing out errors is that the average viewer doesn’t necessarily know one rider from another save for knowing that different riders wear different riders wear different jerseys.

When you don’t provide correct information it shows a lack of preparedness for your profession and it kills your credibility. Hard to respect someone who doesn’t prepare properly to do his his job correctly. People make mistakes sure but his are constant and completely illogical, which make his broadcasts untenable because as a viewer have little to no reason to believe what is coming out of his mouth.

Panache is great but there are plenty of announcers with panache who can also call races correctly and have a clue what is happening. It’s not a good look when I a viewer at home watching on my phone have much better idea of what is happening than the guy calling the race.

LesDiablesRouges:
If you honestly believe that Carlton Kirby does not provide energy to a bike race, then I submit that you have never heard my man Carlton Kirby call a bike race. The notion is so preposterous. that I question why I'm even responding.
I'm going to tell you quick story that you can chose to believe or not; it's totally up to you. You have raised the same issues as those in the past. I swear to you that I once re-watched a specific race a year or so ago to see if what the braying hounds (hereafter known as BH) were saying was true, and it turned out that there was no evidence to their claims. In short, the BH's were just making schit up. I know my case would be bolstered by citing the specific race, but like I said, you're just gonna have to take my word for it.
Also, please tell me how a commentators inability to immediately identify a rider in a mass pile-up is an example of lack of preparedness. Lots of races take place in bleak conditions where rider's number don't appear on their back because they're wearing a freakin jacket.
Sure, CK makes mistakes, but so do his colleagues. He often makes corny jokes, but that's part of his appeal. And if there are "plenty of announcers with panache" why aren't they calling the race?

Has one of you ever done a live commentary on a bike race? I'd like to see a competition of the forum's users! Not sure, what the best technical possibilities for that would be.

Oh god, please no.
"Hello and welcome to a very special edition of (insert race here). The flag has dropped and they're off! (five hours later after waking up) Yeah, it looks like the four riders are still in the breakaway but that lead is steadily decreasing. (Looks at Sean Kelly) Sean, do you think the breakaway will stay away? (Sean) Oh, sod off.

Oh god, please no.
"Hello and welcome to a very special edition of (insert race here). The flag has dropped and they're off! (five hours later after waking up) Yeah, it looks like the four riders are still in the breakaway but that lead is steadily decreasing. (Looks at Sean Kelly) Sean, do you think the breakaway will stay away? (Sean) Oh, sod off.

I can assure you I would not fall asleep. However, how the actual commentating would be would depend on the race. There's quite a difference between a race with the first hour - or more - is a relentless fight to get in the break, and a race with Offredo and Rossetto just getting away in the first 100 metres.

I can assure you I would not fall asleep. However, how the actual commentating would be would depend on the race. There's quite a difference between a race with the first hour - or more - is a relentless fight to get in the break, and a race with Offredo and Rossetto just getting away in the first 100 metres.

I was exaggerating for effect. I've always thought that the best race broadcasts would be a condensed version of a 7-hour race that includes aspects from start to finish. Flanders Classics has a superb hour plus long series of De Ronde posted on youtube that is riveting. They do an awesome job of combining absolutely every aspect of a 250 km bike race into an hour long package. High;y recommended.
Other than that, I'd prefer to rest my face on a burning stove than watching a 250 km bike race from start to finish.

Oh god, please no.

I'd really like to do it. I could never do it in English though.
Also I sometimes like those races, during which nothing happens, just the riders going steadily...

TRENDING THREADS