• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 166 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think the key to being a good cycling commentator is knowing when to fill air, and when to commentate the race. Sometimes that involves basically interrupting yourself!

"And here we see this castle, where - in 1258... there is an attack from Movistar!"

Absolutely. That is probably something that can only be learnt through years of experience. In Germany there is a female commentator for football who suddenly commented on big games and there was a huge debate whether she was good. Lots of people hated on her (voice not good, bla bla bla, though she has a good voice) and lots defended her (she knows much better than the male collegues, you just hate her because she's a woman). I hated to have her as a commentator, too, although everything she said was totally true, she obviously knew what she was talking about. But she just talked and talked... and when there was a goal scene she'd talk about Neymar's transfer... That became a lot better with time! But it made me realise how important it is to "lead the spectator through the events", instead to just give information.

Absolutely. That is probably something that can only be learnt through years of experience. In Germany there is a female commentator for football who suddenly commented on big games and there was a huge debate whether she was good. Lots of people hated on her (voice not good, bla bla bla, though she has a good voice) and lots defended her (she knows much better than the male collegues, you just hate her because she's a woman). I hated to have her as a commentator, too, although everything she said was totally true, she obviously knew what she was talking about. But she just talked and talked... and when there was a goal scene she'd talk about Neymar's transfer... That became a lot better with time! But it made me realise how important it is to "lead the spectator through the events", instead to just give information.

And yet football commentators still have an advantage over cycling commentators when it comes to switching between nothing happening and stuff happening; it's a rare occurance in football that all the big stars decide to go to the toilet, and just let the lesser players play around for a while.

As I've been watching those classic stages from the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Giro on Eurosport in the last few weeks I've noticed how much better Carlton Kirby sounded back then. He was calling the race alone (no Kelly, Backstedt or Smith) he did a good job and was surprisingly pleasant to listen to. In some stages Rob Hatch was the commentator but Kirby did a better job in my opinion. Usually I have Hatch as the superior of the two, but not this time. I had to give credit where credit is due.

As I've been watching those classic stages from the 2014, 2015 and 2016 Giro on Eurosport in the last few weeks I've noticed how much better Carlton Kirby sounded back then. He was calling the race alone (no Kelly, Backstedt or Smith) he did a good job and was surprisingly pleasant to listen to. In some stages Rob Hatch was the commentator but Kirby did a better job in my opinion. Usually I have Hatch as the superior of the two, but not this time. I had to give credit where credit is due.
I'm confused as to when the commentary is being done as for the earlier editions of the GCN/Eurosport classic stages (for example 2013) Kirby was doing the broadcasting for RCS on the international feed and Eurosport used Declan Quigley for that edition after David Harmon took a break after the Tour of Turkey and was never heard again (for one reason or another). But some of those 2013 stages last week were also covered by Hatch who I think was doing some other race like California that year.

It will be interesting (for me anyway) to see what happens over the final few stages covered as Kirby, Kelly, Hatch and Smith commentated the 2018 edition but Hatch and Kelly did the 2019 edition with an middle section of discussion back in the studio.

With Mitchelton Scott rebranding as Manuela Fundacion, Rob Hatch will be in his element with the pronunciation of that, whereas old Sean will be better off sticking to Ulrika Greenedge.

A return of the Lampre colours as well.

CCiyiWjnXGb5EUk3f4C3EH-650-80.jpeg

I always find it hard to reconcile Kelly's appalling pronunciation of Spanish names with the apparent influence that Spanish vocabulary has on his use of English words (eg using 'support' as equivalent to 'soportar': "he can support these steep climbs really well").

I wonder whether there is a mild case of dyslexia there (interchanging of letters and reversal of syllables, as in 'Castorvejio' for 'Castroviejo'), or maybe it is just a case of the whisper around the studio being "He is a legend, don't correct him".

Reactions: Sandisfan
Hi.

Am thinking of signing up to Eurosport Player, and was wondering how soon after being shown live, races are available to watch on demand? For example, would I be able to watch Strade Bianche this Saturday at 1900 BST, one hour after it finishes?
I think it was 24hr but it's been a while since I had streaming for Eurosport. Chach the Eurosport TV guide as they often reply races in the normal channels later in the day

Reactions: postmanhat
Hi.

Am thinking of signing up to Eurosport Player, and was wondering how soon after being shown live, races are available to watch on demand? For example, would I be able to watch Strade Bianche this Saturday at 1900 BST, one hour after it finishes?

Within an hour or so usually, normally pretty quickly. Not until race finishes though. If you want to watch at say 4pm and the race started an hour earlier, you can sometimes rewind live coverage but there's a risk it will stop once the programme finishes. Quite often I get in from work and cannot watch on ES Player On Demand until the race of the day has finished.

Reactions: postmanhat
Within an hour or so usually, normally pretty quickly. Not until race finishes though. If you want to watch at say 4pm and the race started an hour earlier, you can sometimes rewind live coverage but there's a risk it will stop once the programme finishes. Quite often I get in from work and cannot watch on ES Player On Demand until the race of the day has finished.

Thanks a lot! Will sign up tonight

Interesting that Eurosport pulled coverage yesterday of the Italian race due to the helicopters being out of action in the poor weather but GCN continued as best they could. The additional racing and more reliable, ad free, coverage (perhaps) might make a 1 yr sub to GCN worthwhile. £19.99 just now. I just bit that bullet.

And wee point of note - Hatch was commentating from home in Spain (due to quarantine regs in UK) while Smith was in London.

TRENDING THREADS