• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 171 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The overlapping coverage worked today, as far as I could see. Giro all the way to 35km to go then a bit of Vuelta, kept a good eye on the Giro conclusion and we saw both significant groups' run-in to the line. Then back to Vuelta for the last few climbs.

Lots of sound problems with Giro coverage though - Rob Hatch sounded like he was under his duvet and Brian Smith was absent for about the first 100km so Jon Harris Bass kept Rob company in the time RH himself wasn't vanishing.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that Hatch and Smith need to take a break from one another. They seem like a crusty old couple with grievances that are nearing a boiling point.
You know the feeling you get when you're out for dinner with a couple who are having some problems and all they do is take subtle jabs at one another?
Embarrassing is the word that comes to mind.
Now here we have two blokes who are perfectly fine individuals, commentators, pillars of the community, etc. etc. who are talking over one another at an alarming rate. It has got to the point where you can almost feel the frustration in one while waiting for the other to shut his yap before taking a dig.
I don't recommend anything drastic like a divorce or anything. Just a bit of time apart and all will be better.

I don't know about you guys, but it seems to me that Hatch and Smith need to take a break from one another. They seem like a crusty old couple with grievances that are nearing a boiling point.
You know the feeling you get when you're out for dinner with a couple who are having some problems and all they do is take subtle jabs at one another?
Embarrassing is the word that comes to mind.
Now here we have two blokes who are perfectly fine individuals, commentators, pillars of the community, etc. etc. who are talking over one another at an alarming rate. It has got to the point where you can almost feel the frustration in one while waiting for the other to shut his yap before taking a dig.
I don't recommend anything drastic like a divorce or anything. Just a bit of time apart and all will be better.
Two more days until the Giro is over and that's probably the last time they'll be commentating together this year. I definitely see what you mean and it seems like something that has happened all year between them and a couple of others but has definitely been more apparent in the Giro than anywhere else. It may partly be down to the fact Brian is in Bath with the GCN guys while Rob is in Mallorca not being able to come over (like Orla from the Netherlands) due to the two week quarantine. There might be a slight delay in the connections or something like that so they end up cutting in. I'm thinking although commentary is sycned, Skype or whatever they use to see eachother may have a delay and possibly don't see the other one stopping talking.

Are Kirby and Kelly in the same place? Or do they just not talk over each other because Kelly only speaks when prompted?

During Flanders they weren't in the same place. Kelly was in the same booth as Dan Lloyd.
I don't know if it's the same during the Vuelta.

I remember Carlton making a comment a few days ago that he was in Chiswick while SK was in Bath.

On Ben Dyball: "I think he pronounces it 'dibble', as in Top Cat [laughs]. might be 'die-ball' but I imagine being an Aussie it's just 'dibble'. 'It's dibble, mate'. Erm, I must ask. Erm, 10.4kms from home [laughs]. That's the first time I've ever had a Top Cat reference, although my favourite cat was called Benny, but anyway..."

Reactions: Sandisfan
Found it probably way funnier than it actually was, but had a laugh when they talking about the winner of Paris Camembert (think it was Dorian Gaudin) and Sean accidently said Paris Cheese.

Similarly, catching up with some earlier giro stages and Rob Hatch accidently said on one of the sprint days it was Scotson attacking with 600 kilometres to go rather than 600m was slightly amusing.

Found it probably way funnier than it actually was, but had a laugh when they talking about the winner of Paris Camembert (think it was Dorian Gaudin) and Sean accidently said Paris Cheese.

Similarly, catching up with some earlier giro stages and Rob Hatch accidently said on one of the sprint days it was Scotson attacking with 600 kilometres to go rather than 600m was slightly amusing.

Sean clearly doesn't understand that it's the Great Amazing Cheese Race!
And an attack with 600 kilometres to go would definitely be epic; attacking, and then just riding multiple stages in one go!

Reactions: Sandisfan

It's Godon, the winner of the Great American, eh, Amazing Cheese Race this year is Dorian Godon... and no, he's not just the alter ego of Damien Gaudin, samu...
By the way the history of this race's winners is full of great names, like Fignon, Hinault, Bouhanni, Cosnefroy, Alejandro Valverde... yes, he actually won it in 2008... and I wrongly called him a loser for not winning it...

It's Godon, the winner of the Great American, eh, Amazing Cheese Race this year is Dorian Godon... and no, he's not just the alter ego of Damien Gaudin, samu...
By the way the history of this race's winners is full of great names, like Fignon, Hinault, Bouhanni, Cosnefroy, Alejandro Valverde... yes, he actually won it in 2008... and I wrongly called him a loser for not winning it...
I guess I had two times a 2/52 chance of the right middle letters and ended up not just getting it wrong, but adding another letter in and changing the pronounciation. Impressive for the wrong reasons!

I do have a soft spot for Sean Kelly, but since someone pointed out to me that Sean starts 99% of sentences with "Yes, well..." it's been driving me crazy
My thoughts exactly, Ranagazoo. Whenever he starts with "Well yes" I picture a guy who just received an elbow in the gut to say, "Bloody hell, Sean, wake up! Don't make it seem so obvious that you've had a few and the race is the last thing on your mind."
"Well yes, the breakaway has been away for a long time and they surely must be getting tired. It won't be long before they're reeled in and the sprint teams take over."
Despite what it may seem, I get a kick out of Sean Kelly and really like his presence in the booth. Speaking of Kelly, am I the only one who has noticed the guy seems to have a kick in his step? His intonations don't fall off a cliff at the end of a sentence and he seems to actually be a bit excited.
Even more bizarre is he seems to be riffing off of my man Carlton Kirby's non-sequitors and joining in on the joke. The whole thing seems like a bit of a mind fcuk. It's like the guy downed some uppers before the start of the stage.
Regardless, I like!

• Haha
Reactions: richwallone
  • Love
Reactions: Samu Cuenca

TRENDING THREADS