• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 172 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Totally agree but I did get a laugh at him comparing the young kids at Sunweb to a bag of puppies.
Well, I did laugh the first time he said it, and you know he's just going to repeat that until the end of next season..at least.

Like him or hate him, no one can come close to Kirby's ability to come up with references to literature and using a metaphor as a segway before handing it off to Sean Kelly. Today did he not only predict the stage winner, he came up with this brillant line: "Who's waiting for Gadau?"
Kelly paused for a second before saying no one was waiting for Gadau. I'm not sure he got the reference, but then again, it wouldn't be easy to match the witticism on the spot.
There is no script in front of his face. He just makes it up on the go and I find that truly impressive.

Like him or hate him, no one can come close to Kirby's ability to come up with references to literature and using a metaphor as a segway before handing it off to Sean Kelly. Today did he not only predict the stage winner, he came up with this brillant line: "Who's waiting for Gadau?"
Kelly paused for a second before saying no one was waiting for Gadau. I'm not sure he got the reference, but then again, it wouldn't be easy to match the witticism on the spot.
There is no script in front of his face. He just makes it up on the go and I find that truly impressive.

Waiting for Kirby (to retire) could be a fitting name to this thread :p

Reactions: bob.a.feet
British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2020:

Vuelta a San Juan (live from Sun 26th Jan): Quigley & Smith
Tour Down Under (highlights): Liggett, McEwan & Vogt (International Comms package) (30 mins highlights from 28/1)
Challenge Mallorca (highlights): tbc (20 min highlights from 31/1)
Cadel Evans Great Ocean Race (90 mins highlights from 3/2): Kirby & Adam Blythe
Saudi Tour (live from 4/2): Kirby & Blythe
Herald Sun Tour: Matt Keenan & David MacKenzie (International Comms package)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 5/2): Kirby & Gerrans
Tour de Langkawi (live from 7/2): Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Provence: (ES Player only)
Clasica De Almeria: Stephens & Blythe
Volta ao Algarve: Hatch & Blythe
Vuelta Andalusía: Kirby & Stephens
UAE Tour: Hatch & Smith
Het Nieuwsblad: Dan Lloyd & Backstedt
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne: Lloyd & Backstedt
Tour of Taiwan: Kirby & Stephens
Le Samyn: Harris-Bass & Backstedt
Paris-Nice: Hatch & Kelly
--------------------------------------------------------
Strade Bianchi: Kirby & Smith
Gran Trittico Lombardo: Hatch & Smith
Tour de Pologne (live from 5/8): Hatch & Backstedt
Milano-Torino: Kirby & Smith
Mont Ventoux Denivel Challenges: Kirby & Smith
Tour de l'Ain: Quigley & Smith
Milano-Sanremo: Kirby & Stephens
Criterium du Dauphine: Kirby & Stephens
Gran Piemonte: Hatch & Backstedt
Giro di Lombardia: Hatch & Smith
Tour de Wallonie: Hatch & Smith
French TT Championships: Kirby & Stephens
French Road Race Championships: Kirby & Stephens
Spanish Road Race Championships: Quigley & Smith
European TT Championships: Stephens & Blythe
Bretagne Classic: Stephens & Smith
European Road Championships: Stephens & Smith
European Mixed Relay TT Championships: MacDonald & Stephens
Tour de France: Kirby & Hatch with Kelly, Smith, Lloyd (and Stephens) supported by Harris-Bass
Tour de Hongrie: Harris-Bass (solo)
Tirreno-Adriatico: Stephens & Backstedt
Tour of Luxembourg: Jez Cox & Stephens (stages 1-4) / Stephens & Backstedt (stage 5)
World Championship TT Mens Elite: Hatch & Michael Hutchinson
World Championship Mens Elite Road Race: Hatch & Lloyd with Smith
Binckbank Tour: Kirby & Backstedt
La Fleche Wallonne: Hatch & Stephens
Giro d'Italia: Hatch & Smith
Liege-Bastogne-Liege: Kirby & Lloyd
Gent-Wevelgem: Kirby & Blythe
Scheldeprijs: Kirby & Blythe
Tour of Flanders: Kirby, Kelly, Lloyd and Blythe
Vuelta a Espana: Kirby & Kelly with Lloyd
Driedaagse Brugge - De Panne: Cox & Backstedt

And the new season will get underway with the Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 3/2).

Reactions: Sandisfan
And the new season will get underway with the Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 3/2).

According to the schedule on ES Player, they're showing Marseillaise on Sunday (31/1).
Well, it doesn't actually say Marseillaise, but simply "French Cup". However, since it's the only Major French race Sunday.

(And, yes. I suppose there is - as always these days - a risk it could be cancelled. But no news of that sort so far, and teams have already started posting their rosters.)

Reactions: argyllflyer
GP Marseillaise in the past has been shown on ES France as a 30-min highlight program, like most of the other French Cup races.
It's the first time on English/International, I think. I see France 3 Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur is airing it live. Is ES live, too, or only highlights?

Edit: I see that GCN Race Pass states "Highlights" or "Extended Highlights" depending on the country.

GP Marseillaise in the past has been shown on ES France as a 30-min highlight program, like most of the other French Cup races.
It's the first time on English/International, I think. I see France 3 Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur is airing it live. Is ES live, too, or only highlights?

Edit: I see that GCN Race Pass states "Highlights" or "Extended Highlights" depending on the country.

Awww... I thought the time it was listed meant it was gonna be live...

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I just checked and I see it as live on the ES UK schedule. Maybe only delay on the GCN Pass because the cyclocross Worlds.

Oh, I thought the Uninterrupted Coverage on ES Player is the GCN Pass. But maybe we - "Player People" - simply get whatever is available. I do remember watching one of the Belgian semi-classics on the Player some years back - before GCN Pass was even a thing - with Flemish/Dutch commentating; they had some issues with 'Mads Würtz Schmidt', not the rider, just... his name.
But then again; international commentators do frequently seem to have issues with Danish names.

British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2021:

Grand Prix La Marseillaise (live on 31/1): tbc (ES Player only)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 3/2): tbc
Apologies for going off topic,
British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2021:

Grand Prix La Marseillaise (live on 31/1): tbc (ES Player only)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 3/2): tbc

I don't know about you, but argyllflyer's presence in this thread is akin to a soothing balm. It's a reminder that no matter how crazy things are in the world, there will be a bike race tomorrow. Kudos to you, argyllflyer.

Interesting they're showing the Grand Prix La Marseillaise live on ES. I guess a bit short on races this season! I hadn't even bothered to check if it was on ES as it never usually is. Player only though.

Looking at the future races on GCN Racing Pass, all of the French Cup races through at least April are listed. Even ones like Classic Loire Atlantique.
This makes sense since ES France already had them... why not make available to everyone and in English/other languages?

On the minus side, Ligue National de Cyclisme used post the ES France episodes on their YouTube page. Maybe they'll no longer do this assuming ES is paying more for the rights to air?

Reactions: argyllflyer

TRENDING THREADS