• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 173 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'd be fine with the French commentating. I wouldn't understand a word - okay, maybe a few words, and the names - but I'd still be able to watch it.

I'm fine with French, too. But French-language 30-min highlights to French Cup races been available for the last 10 years or so and, as far as I know, without geo-restriction. (I've accessed without problem both from Thailand and the US.)
IMHO adding other languages now is kool and good for the races.

RTE, the Irish state broadcaster just reminded Irish cycling fans that they shouldn’t whine too much about Eurosport’s occasional screw ups. Sam Bennett was one of the nominees for Irish sportsperson of the year, so they helpfully put up a picture of Remi Cavagna throughout the broadcast...
I can only assume that someone misheard his name as 'Cavanagh', and thought that sounded Irish enough.

Reactions: RedheadDane
RTE, the Irish state broadcaster just reminded Irish cycling fans that they shouldn’t whine too much about Eurosport’s occasional screw ups. Sam Bennett was one of the nominees for Irish sportsperson of the year, so they helpfully put up a picture of Remi Cavagna throughout the broadcast...
View: https://imgur.com/56CaxWC

Why would they chose a masked podium photo rather one of the team publicity shots?
Why did they not know that for most of the time that the blue dungarees kit was worn, Sam had a national champ kit instead, or that his kit would have national colours on the neck/cuffs?
And why, if using a podium photo, would they not use one of him in the green jersey, that being the achievement that they were celebrating (and RTE are unlikely to be reluctant to have a splash of green, of all colours, in their photo displays)?

You had one job...

Well, I want it live! As it's happening.

GP Marseillaise aired live is new. Some French Cup races have been regularly aired live recently (GP Denain, Tour Finistre, Tro-Bro-Leon, GP d'Isbergues, Tour Vendee). I don't know if they will all be live this year.
Regional France 3 channels have been the host broadcaster of the live races in the past, so it ES's didn't always have an option when to air the races live. I think they usually aired all available except GP d'Isbergues.

rights...I assume this could impact other flanders classics? or like a few years ago when it was only omloop that wasnt shown.

Eurosport did however state that they will be showing the UAE tour on that date...I don't think the twitter person understands PR.
It's possible that we'll be able to watch online then as the broadcaster may not geo-restrict it for the UK.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Sorry, that should have said ask, not as.

Races TV rights are usually sold as packages, not individually. It's not uncommon for a broadcaster to buy the rights to lots of races but only want to show some of them. The result is that people can't watch all the racing they want to, because whoever owns the rights has decided not to show it.

In this specific case it sounds like that might not be the case though.

Eurosport did however state that they will be showing the UAE tour on that date...

So, absolutely nothing keeping them from showing another bike race. And Faun-Ardéche while they're at it.

Races TV rights are usually sold as packages, not individually. It's not uncommon for a broadcaster to buy the rights to lots of races but only want to show some of them. The result is that people can't watch all the racing they want to, because whoever owns the rights has decided not to show it.

That's some ***!

Reactions: Sandisfan
Looking at it, I don't think any 'Flanders Classics' under that company banner will be on GCN but what I'm not sure is whether that is the same for Eurosport and player.

Looks to be that the Ronde is slightly different being a monument and the backlash that 'Flanders Classics' would get for not giving the rights to Eurosport would be big, so that IS on Eurosport and GCN.

E3 is run by a seperate company and that is on GCN's schedule. However the other 'Flanders classics' arent on the list....
Gent-Wevelgem
Dwars door Vlaanderen
Scheldeprijs
Brabantse Pijl

There seems to be confusion over whether that means it won't be on Eurosport either and they are being vague over what races they have and if not, why they havent got the rights.....money seems to be the obvious issue (but it hasn't been in the past few years) so what is the problem now? and who's fault is it? Lets hope a compromise can be reached because its not a good look if some of the best races of the season won't be shown outside of Sporza.

Sorry, that should have said ask, not as.

In this specific case it sounds like that might not be the case though.

Of course it isn't the case!

It sounds like you are completely out of touch with Eurosport and their streaming service which just surprised me since you made insinuations.

TRENDING THREADS