• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 176 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Imagine if someone would do that with Kirby the odd time. Kinda hoping more GCN coverage will mean less Kirby, though GCN coverage has been ropey at times. Could not get the race today and ended up watching Eurosport on TV. I think the coverage did finally come on, but not good for GCN,

They're not mutually exclusive. GCN is using the Eurosport coverage and all of this is on ES Player too.

Reactions: Sandisfan
British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2021 (men's elite):

Grand Prix La Marseillaise (live on 31/1): Kirby & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 3/2): tbc
Tour of Provence (live from 11/2): Lloyd & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
Clasica De Almeria: Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Alpes-Maritimes (live from 20/2): Been & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
UAE Tour (live from 21/2): Kirby & Smith
Omloop Het Niewsblad (live on 27/2): Lloyd & Blyth
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne (live on 28/2): Hatch & Blyth
GP Le Samyn (live on 2/3): Been & Backstedt
Strade Bianche (live 6/3): Hatch & Lloyd
Grand Prix Jean Monsere: (live 7/3): Been & Backstedt
Paris-Nice (live from 7/3): Hatch & Blythe
Tirreno-Adriatico (live from 10/3): Kirby & Lloyd

Last edited:
You mean 7/3, right?
Maybe Argyllflyer can see into the future and is watching on Saturday as well as watching Strade Bianche?!
Speaking of GP Monsere, Jose Been mentioned at the end of Le Samyn her and Magnus will see you on Sunday at the GP Monsere.

Jose Been has is definitely seems to gel with whoever she commentates with well. First Jeremy Powers in a couple of CX races and then Matt Stephens and Magnus Backstedt. I didn't think much of the commentary when she was doing the highlights for the women's tour and couple of years ago, but this year and last year (with the short highlights voiceovers on the GCN racepass) I definitely think she adds to the racing whereas some like Kirby take away.

Maybe Argyllflyer can see into the future and is watching on Saturday as well as watching Strade Bianche?!
Speaking of GP Monsere, Jose Been mentioned at the end of Le Samyn her and Magnus will see you on Sunday at the GP Monsere.

Jose Been has is definitely seems to gel with whoever she commentates with well. First Jeremy Powers in a couple of CX races and then Matt Stephens and Magnus Backstedt. I didn't think much of the commentary when she was doing the highlights for the women's tour and couple of years ago, but this year and last year (with the short highlights voiceovers on the GCN racepass) I definitely think she adds to the racing whereas some like Kirby take away.

I love that the door for female broadcasters is open. The cycling broadcast community could definitely use someone like the brilliant Mary Carillo (tennis) to spice things up.
I'm just wondering if there are any examples that comes to mind of Been "adding to a race" that Kirby takes away.
I'm not familiar with her work.

I thought José Been was excellent. Being able to identify & have some knowledge of riders is a huge plus especially in a race like Le Samyn with some of the lesser known riders in the action. Any fool can pick out Alaphilippe or VDP.

Name pronunciation will always rattle some cages because it's a global sport and we don't all talk the same way...

I love that the door for female broadcasters is open. The cycling broadcast community could definitely use someone like the brilliant Mary Carillo (tennis) to spice things up.
I'm just wondering if there are any examples that comes to mind of Been "adding to a race" that Kirby takes away.
I'm not familiar with her work.
She does her research and doesn't just seem to wing it.

I thought José Been was excellent. Being able to identify & have some knowledge of riders is a huge plus especially in a race like Le Samyn with some of the lesser known riders in the action. Any fool can pick out Alaphilippe or VDP.

Name pronunciation will always rattle some cages because it's a global sport and we don't all talk the same way...

I really enjoy listening to Jose Been as well. And hearing names pronounced correctly (or at least attempted) should only be encouraged.

A favorite moment of mine was Been and Stephens during Haut Var. The host broadcaster interviewed Michael Wood, basic questions about how hard was the hilly stage. Then she asked Woods, "What was it like going down?" Both Been and Stephens broke out laughing and had to put themselves on mute for about 10 seconds.

I have no problems with how commentators pronounce names, right or wrong (unless its so wrong I can't understand it). And I like Hatch but he sometimes goes over the top with superlatives. I think last year's Giro had 10 rides of the century. Flat by some random domestique on a flat stage with 100 km to go? OHDEAROHDEAROHDEAR!

I'm honestly less concerned with pronunciations; I can understand if non-Danish commentators might struggle a bit with a name like 'Vingegaard', and more concerned with commentators actually using the name(s) the rider in question uses; referring to the above-mentioned rider as 'Rasmussen' would just be weird.

An example would be from the podium-ceremony from the women's Le Samyn:
Norsgaard - from what I understand, missed a few seconds of it due to technical issues - was called onto the podium as 'Emma Jørgensen', and then the commentator (I was pretty sure it was Been, but now I'm weirdly not so sure anymore) basically said that since she (Emma) is listed as 'Emma Norsgaard' on her Twitter profile, that seems like a reasonable name to call her.

There's also the case of Ivan Garcia Cortina, who seems to be one of the few Spanish speaking riders who commonly goes by both surnames; I would definitely be confused if commentators suddenly started referring to him as simply 'Garcia'.

I'm honestly less concerned with pronunciations; I can understand if non-Danish commentators might struggle a bit with a name like 'Vingegaard', and more concerned with commentators actually using the name(s) the rider in question uses; referring to the above-mentioned rider as 'Rasmussen' would just be weird.

An example would be from the podium-ceremony from the women's Le Samyn:
Norsgaard - from what I understand, missed a few seconds of it due to technical issues - was called onto the podium as 'Emma Jørgensen', and then the commentator (I was pretty sure it was Been, but now I'm weirdly not so sure anymore) basically said that since she (Emma) is listed as 'Emma Norsgaard' on her Twitter profile, that seems like a reasonable name to call her.

There's also the case of Ivan Garcia Cortina, who seems to be one of the few Spanish speaking riders who commonly goes by both surnames; I would definitely be confused if commentators suddenly started referring to him as simply 'Garcia'.

I don't expect every pronunciation to be exactly like in the native language that would sound a bit weird (although Hatch does a good job of that). For example, names like Valverde and Contador sound reasonable with the non-Spanish V and without rolling on the r's. I can live with that as long as they stress the right syllable.

But if a commentator were to pronounce Petacchi as if it was the spanish "ch" sound and not the Italian which is a normal "k" he should be fired without warning. During the coverage. Or imagine if van der Poel became van der Pøl in Danish because oe is the same as ø as Broccolidwarf always says. That should also trigger a firing and should be added to your criminal record.

Or imagine if van der Poel became van der Pøl in Danish because oe is the same as ø as Broccolidwarf always says. That should also trigger a firing and should be added to your criminal record.

Added to your criminal report, even?
But if they did, then they should just go the entire way, and refer to him as 'Mathieu fra Pølen'. Which... honestly... sounds a bit rude.

That's what I get most mad about with commentary in english; when instead of Valverde they say Valvurday and goes on like that with all names. Sometimes it's so bad you have no idea which cyclist they are talking about. I don't hear this level of indifference/ignorance in italian or french transmissions.

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRoads
I'm totally okay with commentators not getting the names entirely right, and actually the correct Danish pronounciation is sometimes a mystery to me. You Danes would laugh about how I call your riders. But in general commentators from several countries get the names more or less right, at least so that you understand who they mean. It's the English commentators who are often just awful and treat every name like it's an English one. Obviously there is no culture which values original pronounciation, whereas the Arabic commentators during the UAE tour did a great job, in my opinion (even if Adam Yates became a German sounding Adam). In Germany it very much depends on the commentator, I'd say. The Swiss one of course will never stop emphasizing every (French) name on the first syllable, which I already found annoying at university, when Rousseau became ROUSseau and Picasso PIcasso. Well, but it has its own Swiss charme, so... okay. Problem is when the others start to do it as well, and Pinot generally becomes PInot, Bardet BARdet and Alaphilippe ALaphilippe. I don't know why this bugs me so much, but it's slaughter in my ears.
Anyway, of course that's nothing compared to the constant butchering by English commentators, which often makes me wonder who they are talking about, when it's not the big names.

I wonder what the most mutilated cyclist's name is, but Dylan Teuns must be very high up there.

There's almost 1.5 million people in Spain with García as one of their surnames. It's just too common to be used standalone.

Have a look at this Real Madrid squad from 40 years ago:

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS