• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 183 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I find that mentioning results in other races happens way too often on Eurosport. They do it in the winter sports too and can call out cross country results during Biathlon races and vice versa. Even calling out results of races that finished the same day isn't on for me, unless they lead into it with saying we'll be talking about the results of it so mute if don't want spoilers. We don't all get to watch races live so they just shouldn't.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Kit should not be as easy to figure out which riders are each commentators favourites but with many of them in Cycling it is extremely obvious.

Sean Kelly has a weakness for his fellow Irish riders particularly Sam Bennett whilst Adam Blythe sounds like the founder member of the Ineos fan club.

Carlton Kirby wears his fandom front and centre but at least his rider infatuations are so weirdly random (Simon Clarke, Seb Reichenbach, Lenny Kamna etc) that it is generally mildly amusing rather than immensely irritating like the Phil and Paul Armstrong love in.

Kelly absolutely does not show a general preference for Irish riders!

I deleted my post since Carlton himself said it is not ok with him too. I like to watch races before I know how they went. If there are two at the same time I really don't want information about the other in a broadcadt of the first.
Praying for the cat.

That is absolutely reasonable. Good on my man Carlton Kirby for acknowledging his mistake. I hope your story goes a long way to answering the question about CK owning up to mistakes.

Any good commentator needs to know the art of interrupting themselves mid sentence, or at least go from "filling the air" talk to actual race commentating without missing a beat:
"And here we have the ruins of a castle from the 12th century, which during the 13th century was frequently under ATTACK BY ESTEBAN CHAVES!"

Hmm, it seems like quite a difficult art, actually, if they have to bind the two sentences with a word (attack) that both works as the end of the air-filler sentence and as the beginning of the race situation...

Any good commentator needs to know the art of interrupting themselves mid sentence, or at least go from "filling the air" talk to actual race commentating without missing a beat:
"And here we have the ruins of a castle from the 12th century, which during the 13th century was frequently under ATTACK BY ESTEBAN CHAVES!"

"What we know about these old Lombardian descents is that during the 21st century thev've been under constant SHARK ATTACK!!!"

• Haha
Hmm, it seems like quite a difficult art, actually, if they have to bind the two sentences with a word (attack) that both works as the end of the air-filler sentence and as the beginning of the race situation...

Doesn't have to be quite like that. My point was that sometimes it might end up sounding a bit silly.

(I don't think Esteban Chaves ran around attacking castles during the 13th Century.)

• Haha
Not about the commentary, but Eurosport related.

I have recently started using Eurosport Player rather than having the Eurosprot channels as part of a TV package (although I think I could probably have saved a lump of money by subscribing to GCN pass instead: I'm unlikely to spend much time watching their other sports) So I can't watch on the TV anymore (Eurosport is only supported by a limited range of Smart TVs) but I have the phone, an Amazon Fire stick, and the laptop as options.

Which brings me to my issue. Watching on the laptop is almost impossibly laggy. I get smooth sound and vision on the phone and Fire stick, but on the lap top the sound is a constant stream, but the images are half a second of movement followed by 2 seconds of still, half a second of movement and two seconds of still, invariably. Speed tests suggest download speed of 40-50 Mbps, and I can stream other video smoothly. Is this a frequent issue? Any technical knowhow that would resolve it? Thanks.

• Wow
Not about the commentary, but Eurosport related.

I have recently started using Eurosport Player rather than having the Eurosprot channels as part of a TV package (although I think I could probably have saved a lump of money by subscribing to GCN pass instead: I'm unlikely to spend much time watching their other sports) So I can't watch on the TV anymore (Eurosport is only supported by a limited range of Smart TVs) but I have the phone, an Amazon Fire stick, and the laptop as options.

Which brings me to my issue. Watching on the laptop is almost impossibly laggy. I get smooth sound and vision on the phone and Fire stick, but on the lap top the sound is a constant stream, but the images are half a second of movement followed by 2 seconds of still, half a second of movement and two seconds of still, invariably. Speed tests suggest download speed of 40-50 Mbps, and I can stream other video smoothly. Is this a frequent issue? Any technical knowhow that would resolve it? Thanks.
I experience the lagging too, sometimes it's better on the ad-free stream than the one with Danish commentary. The best setup on a smartTV for me has been linking by airplay from the (i)phone, running very smoothly.

I hope it will run completely smoothly on my desktop too when I'm getting 1 Gbps speed (fingers crossed).

I think Adam Blythe was co-commentating GP Indurain, who said the new UCI rules "are the same for everybody" so it doesn't really matter that "puppy paws" is banned now. Ok Adam. Other than that it is obviously not the same for the solo breakaway rider compared to multiple chasers or the peloton. Other than this being a huge disadvantage for attacking riders, or the strongest riders, who 'd go solo or break clear. Other than this being a huge setback for attractive cycling (since against attacking riders), hence a bad thing for spectators, hence bad for cycling as a whole. We'll definitely see less long range attacks by the likes of Asgreen, van der Poel, Evenepoel, Kragh Andersen etc... because it's not possible to stay aero while comfortable for long periods, while the chasers can rest in each others wheel after each pull.

Other than all that Adam, you're completely correct. It's the same for everyone. D*mwt.

Reactions: Koronin
I think Adam Blythe was co-commentating GP Indurain, who said the new UCI rules "are the same for everybody" so it doesn't really matter that "puppy paws" is banned now. Ok Adam. Other than that it is obviously not the same for the solo breakaway rider compared to multiple chasers or the peloton. Other than this being a huge disadvantage for attacking riders, or the strongest riders, who 'd go solo or break clear. Other than this being a huge setback for attractive cycling (since against attacking riders), hence a bad thing for spectators, hence bad for cycling as a whole. We'll definitely see less long range attacks by the likes of Asgreen, van der Poel, Evenepoel, Kragh Andersen etc... because it's not possible to stay aero while comfortable for long periods, while the chasers can rest in each others wheel after each pull.

Other than all that Adam, you're completely correct. It's the same for everyone. D*mwt.

Chris Anker Sørensen said something similar about everybody being able to do the supertuck so its ban would make no matter.

Yeah right, everybody is at Mohoric' level there...

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS