• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 187 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Lol. Actually, I do think he says his first name wrong because he Anglifies it (at least in a video I have heard of him saying his own name). But the surname should have stress on the first syllable, not the second.

It's not wrong if that's how he says it, totally up to him to pronounce his name whatever way he prefers. I do suspect his mom doesn't call him pieter though.

A more important issue is Eurosport still on occasion having commentators calling from home - There have been at least 4 occasions where they've suffered technical difficulties so far in 2021 - You've gotta get them into a studio for remote commentary.
It is difficult with Hatch being in Mallorca, Been being in the Netherlands and two week quarantine being applied to anyone coming from abroad to the UK. It's probably almost as difficult with Smith up in Scotland and they only recently allowed travel to England again. I don't know whether hotels are open again properly so he might not be able to stay down in London for a week to xommentate on a stage race. Others pretty much are back to normal with Kirby and Stephens located in the Eurosport offices in London, and Blythe, Backstedt, Lloyd all based closer to Bath where the GCN offices are.

Reactions: RedheadDane
At the risk of stirring up a hornets nest.....not being in Europe or being able to get complete coverage of all the races, my one comment is be grateful for what you get.
You might not get any cycling coverage

Amen.
It really is fun to pick nits and call out commentator errors and eccentricities, but I submit that the majority of naysayers here would be begging to listen to someone like, say, my man CK within an hour after listening to North American GT commentary. The vast majority of broadcasts are as interesting as dry toast.

Amen.
It really is fun to pick nits and call out commentator errors and eccentricities, but I submit that the majority of naysayers here would be begging to listen to someone like, say, my man CK within an hour after listening to North American GT commentary. The vast majority of broadcasts are as interesting as dry toast.
There is this thing called Tiz-cycling, or you can always use the GCNplayer or a VPN...

Actually from my location in Asia if I want English I have to use TIZ and other feeds (sometimes use cycling.today when TIZ craps out and vice versa). It's been crapping out a lot this year, so I've just switched over to the Aussies on SBS with a VPN, and I'm glad to hear I missed out on Kirby! Sorry delagos, I know he's your king, but if you were female stuck having to hear to some old codger having Kirbygasms you'd either mute the feed before the finish or switch to other commentators too!

Actually from my location in Asia if I want English I have to use TIZ and other feeds (sometimes use cycling.today when TIZ craps out and vice versa). It's been crapping out a lot this year, so I've just switched over to the Aussies on SBS with a VPN, and I'm glad to hear I missed out on Kirby! Sorry delagos, I know he's your king, but if you were female stuck having to hear to some old codger having Kirbygasms you'd either mute the feed before the finish or switch to other commentators too!

"Kirbygasms." I like that!
Just so you know, if I was female I'd ask the guy to marry me and whisper sweet Kirbygasms in my ear until the day I die.

TRENDING THREADS