• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 188 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Until now you couldn't be sure, now we know for sure delgados is Kirby himself. ;)

I'm not Carlton Kirby!
Sean, tell them I'm not Carlton Kirby.
Sean: Well, yeah, the breakaway riders have a good gap, but I don't think they're gonna make it till the end.
Me: Sean, I'm not Carlton Kirby! Please let them know.
Sean: Yeah, uh, the main contenders for the overall are starting to form at the front. They want to protect their leaders.

British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2021 (men's elite):

Grand Prix La Marseillaise (live on 31/1): Kirby & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 3/2): tbc
Tour of Provence (live from 11/2): Lloyd & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
Clasica De Almeria: Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Alpes-Maritimes (live from 20/2): Been & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
UAE Tour (live from 21/2): Kirby & Smith
Omloop Het Niewsblad (live on 27/2): Lloyd & Blythe
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne (live on 28/2): Hatch & Blythe
GP Le Samyn (live on 2/3): Been & Backstedt
Strade Bianche (live 6/3): Hatch & Lloyd
Grand Prix Jean Monsere: (live 7/3): Been & Backstedt
Paris-Nice (live from 7/3): Hatch & Blythe
Tirreno-Adriatico (live from 10/3): Kirby & Lloyd
Nokere Koerse (live on 17/3): Been & Backstedt
Bredene Koksijde Classic (live on 19/3): Been & Backstedt
Milano-Sanremo (live on 20/3): Hatch & Smith
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (live from 22/3): Kirby & Smith
Brugge - De Panne (live on 24/3): Hatch & Blythe
E3 SaxoBank Classic (live on 26/3): Hatch & Blythe (ES Player/GCN only)
Gent - Wevelgem (live on 28/3): Stephens & Blythe
Cholet Pays De La Loire (live on 28/3): Been & Backstedt (ES Player/GCN only)
Dwars door Vlaanderen (live on 31/3): Kirby & Blythe
GP Miguel Indurain: (live on 3/4): Jez Cox & Blythe
Ronde van Vlaanderen (live on 4/4): Kirby, Lloyd, Backstedt & Blythe
Itzulia Basque Country: (live from 5/4): Kirby & Smith
Scheldeprijs (live on 7/4): Stephens & Blythe
Presidential Tour of Turkey (live from 11/4): Kirby & Smith
Brabantse Pijl (live on 14/4): Stephens & Lloyd (ES Player/GCN only)
Tour of Valencia (live from 14/4): Been & Backstedt
Amstel Gold Race (live on 18/4): Stephens & Blythe
Tour of the Alps (live from 19/4): Stephens & Lloyd
Fleche Wallonne (live on 21/4): Kirby & Blythe
Liege-Bastogne-Liege (live on 25/4): Hatch & Smith
Tour de Romandie (live from 27/4): Hatch & Smith
Volta ao Algarve: Kirby & Backstedt
Giro d'Italia (live from 8/5): Hatch & Lloyd with Kelly, Smith, Backstedt, Blyth (+ Dan Bigham stage 1, Hannah Walker stage 6)
Tour of Hungary (live from 12/5): Kirby & Backstedt
Circuit de Wallonie: Been & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Challenge Mallorca series (highlights): Quigley (solo)
Tro Bro Leon (on 16/5): Cox & Walker
Vuelta a Andalucia (live from 19/5): Kirby & Smith

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
She’s miles better than Sean Kelly, who is virtually unlistenable.

Sorry, I meant the German "Birgit", who's only there to give bits from social media in and tell about the cultural stuff, food... boulevard stuff actually, but really boring... she has a nice voice but no clue at all when to break in and when to shut up. Apart from her role being unneccessary I can't believe there's nobody better for this.

Sorry, I meant the German "Birgit", who's only there to give bits from social media in and tell about the cultural stuff, food... boulevard stuff actually, but really boring... she has a nice voice but no clue at all when to break in and when to shut up. Apart from her role being unneccessary I can't believe there's nobody better for this.
Ahh seems like we’re talking about two different broadcasts. Eurosport needs to replace a couple of broadcasters.

Reactions: BlueRoads
I'm not Carlton Kirby!
Sean, tell them I'm not Carlton Kirby.
Sean: Well, yeah, the breakaway riders have a good gap, but I don't think they're gonna make it till the end.
Me: Sean, I'm not Carlton Kirby! Please let them know.
Sean: Yeah, uh, the main contenders for the overall are starting to form at the front. They want to protect their leaders.
This happens when your colleagues are so tired of your constant babbling, they just zone out and ignore you.

Is she a former/current rider?

Hannah Walker was on the English feed, and I know from this thread that others weren't impressed by her during last year's Vuelta. I was mainly watching that aprt of the race without sound (not because of her involvement, but I was watching the final of the Danish football cup), so I can't really comment on her performance today.

Is she a former/current rider?

Hannah Walker was on the English feed, and I know from this thread that others weren't impressed by her during last year's Vuelta. I was mainly watching that aprt of the race without sound (not because of her involvement, but I was watching the final of the Danish football cup), so I can't really comment on her performance today.

No. As far as I can see she's an author (children's books), journalist and moderator. As far as I can see her qualification really isn't much better than mine. She does have a nice voice, like I said, although that constant laugh in her voice can sound a bit forced with time.
She keeps out of the real race stuff most of the time, but when she doesn't she doesn't sound like she knows much, and today, when the action started on the descent she asked "is now the time for some stories and myths or is it a bit... (unfitting)...?"
She's polite, but... ugh...

I would love to have a good female commentary voice there, but to have a woman just so that you also have a woman's voice there, and giving her the boulevard stuff, that's annoying.

Voigt and Aldag have become my favourite commentary couple though, they go lovely together. Voigt always totally enthusiastic, lively, brings anecdotes, animates the commentary, very emphatic and honest, but often talking bs in terms of facts and tactics, while Aldag is the most neutral commentator I have ever heard, no modulation in his voice, no enthusiasm when Mäder wins, no pain when Landa is out... but he's pretty precise, knows the stuff and offers facts and clear assessments.
And I love how he always corrects Voigt without letting it sound like he corrects him, like he just adds something.

There are very few universal truths. One of them is: fans everywhere complain about announcers of their favorite sport because, deep inside, they believe they know more about the sport and could do a better job, if just given the chance.

The guy who comments on horseback riding on German TV is pretty okay to me, he's enthusiastic and knows the stuff, the figure skating commentator too, although he often has his biases he's at least not nationalistic, he's eager and gets carried away, but then he can take himself back again and admit his bias or his mistakes. Not perfect, but totally tolerable.

I am from the U.S. and have only listened to Eurosport regularly with the advent of GCN+. But I have been listening to regular criticism of Phil and Paul, Bobke, Chris Horner and others on the NBC broadcasts. And I pay a lot of attention to sports media in the U.S., and there is constant criticism of the lead announcers for football, basketball, baseball, and hockey. At least here, fans often love the announcers employed by their favorite teams, but not the major network announcers (our analogs to Eurosport).

Who's the guy who often works with Worre (I don't mean Wenzel)?

I think his name is Rasmus Rothmann Pedersen or something to that effect. He is not a good commentator, I wonder how he got that gig.

On the other hand, I feel sad for all you foreigners who don't get the chance to acquiant yourself with Bastian Emil Goldschmidt. What a character. He looks like a 20-year-old (is probably older), he knows everything about cycling history and history in general (at least in Italy) and has a beautiful language to boot. Such a gift to Kanal 5's coverage which is absolutely top notch.

And Netserk, my only problem with Bay is that he can't keep the reins on Holm when he (Holm) wants to drift a little too far from the race at hand. Otherwise, he is probably my favourite commentator (or maybe Rolf or Ritter, it's difficult to decide) but also the one I have heard the most by far. And a week ago, I heard he was on his 57th consecutive Grand Tour by his own count. Not bad for a 51-year-old former pro.

I think his name is Rasmus Rothmann Pedersen or something to that effect. He is not a good commentator, I wonder how he got that gig.

Apparently he's involved with La Flamme Rouge (Holm's charity foundation, not the other one), so that might have something to do with it.

And Netserk, my only problem with Bay is that he can't keep the reins on Holm when he (Holm) wants to drift a little too far from the race at hand. Otherwise, he is probably my favourite commentator (or maybe Rolf or Ritter, it's difficult to decide) but also the one I have heard the most by far. And a week ago, I heard he was on his 57th consecutive Grand Tour by his own count. Not bad for a 51-year-old former pro.

He didn't have the longest career though, but still a pretty impressive feat.
After listening to British Eurosport a lot, I assume he gets it wrong when he pronounces Grenadiers in French (if he still does that). although you could argue that it's alright to do so.
I also know that some people have complained about him chewing into the microphone, but I've been more bothered by/concerned with Holm sometimes sounding like he has having a heart attack

Apparently he's involved with La Flamme Rouge (Holm's charity foundation, not the other one), so that might have something to do with it.

He didn't have the longest career though, but still a pretty impressive feat.
After listening to British Eurosport a lot, I assume he gets it wrong when he pronounces Grenadiers in French (if he still does that). although you could argue that it's alright to do so.

Bay is not the greatest when it comes to pronunciations. I have a lot of fun with a couple of my friends with his continuous misunderstanding of the umlaut (he completely ignores it in names such as Küng, Pöstlberger, Mühlberger, Brändle (which becomes Brandel) etc. It reached a new height yesterday, when he pronounced Schurter as if it had a ü). And he has his problems with French names too. But I guess he has just become the voice of cycling for me.

You know that I too highly cherish Bastian Emil Goldschmidt, who is not just well spoken, but with a pleasant voice and pleasant manners in general. And while he will primarily look out for the archetypical images that cycling provides and how the action unfolding fits a grander narrative, he is ready to change gears and join the discussion of the tactical aspect of the race quite aptly. He is from 1992 BTW.

TRENDING THREADS