• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 189 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This happens when your colleagues are so tired of your constant babbling, they just zone out and ignore you.

Ha! Thanks for explaining the joke, just in case it wasn't clear enough.

By the way, is it just me, or do others get the sense that Sean Kelly has a bounce in his step?
I've always got a kick out of Sean Kelly for various reasons, but he seems to be more animated lately, and it suits him very well.
Yesterday he actually made a funny when referring to Filippo Ganna as Filippo Kawasaki. Geddit?! Filippo Kawasaki? Guys...? You there?

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
p.s. I don't know why I'm watching a stage with 115 km's remaining, but Rob's colleagues are great. Hannah is cool and collected while the other guy is cracking wise. Cameras caught a big fat guy wearing a bikini and life preserver who was chasing the break.
I don't know his name (Dan Lloyd?) but after a brief pause, the guy said "Not what I remember watching Baywatch." Nice one, bro!

No. As far as I can see she's an author (children's books), journalist and moderator. As far as I can see her qualification really isn't much better than mine. She does have a nice voice, like I said, although that constant laugh in her voice can sound a bit forced with time.
She keeps out of the real race stuff most of the time, but when she doesn't she doesn't sound like she knows much, and today, when the action started on the descent she asked "is now the time for some stories and myths or is it a bit... (unfitting)...?"
She's polite, but... ugh...

I would love to have a good female commentary voice there, but to have a woman just so that you also have a woman's voice there, and giving her the boulevard stuff, that's annoying.

Voigt and Aldag have become my favourite commentary couple though, they go lovely together. Voigt always totally enthusiastic, lively, brings anecdotes, animates the commentary, very emphatic and honest, but often talking bs in terms of facts and tactics, while Aldag is the most neutral commentator I have ever heard, no modulation in his voice, no enthusiasm when Mäder wins, no pain when Landa is out... but he's pretty precise, knows the stuff and offers facts and clear assessments.
And I love how he always corrects Voigt without letting it sound like he corrects him, like he just adds something.

I need to apologize, mixed her up (I'm not good at recognizing voices :(). I still think she doesn't know that much about cycling.

Edit: Apparently didn't mix her up after all.

Last edited:
Can't believe anyone anywhere would not enjoy and appreciate Dan Lloyd's race commentary.. His tone, knowledge and easy going style is the perfect accompaniment to the sport we all love...

Just ask that Eurosport please please please keep Carlton Kirby well away

I agree that Dan Lloyd is doing a great job. Not only is he easy on the ears, he provides a unique perspective that includes knowledge and insight, combined with a slight bit of self deprecation that doesn't go overboard to the point of being pathetic. He and Hannah are the real deal.
p.s. Please keep my man Carlton out of this, m'kay? He brings stuff that others lack.

p.s. Please keep my man Carlton out of this, m'kay? He brings stuff that others lack.
Seeing it's a thread about Eurosport Commentators I wont keep Carlton Kirby out of this... He brings absolutely nothing but regular annoying cr@p... that neither adds or enhances my viewing experience... Had to abandon coverage of the Hungarian Race when he started spouting his drivel.

Seeing it's a thread about Eurosport Commentators I wont keep Carlton Kirby out of this... He brings absolutely nothing but regular annoying cr@p... that neither adds or enhances my viewing experience... Had to abandon coverage of the Hungarian Race when he started spouting his drivel.

Sigh. Ok, Swiss Tony, go ahead. It's a free internet and all. I'm sure my man CK will get over the torrent of abuse. Eventually. After round-the-clock-therapy sessions.
I'm sure one day he will realize we're talking about a bike race, not the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Have at it, Swiss Tony. Vent that anger, old chap.Get it out of your system.

By the way, is it just me, or do others get the sense that Sean Kelly has a bounce in his step?
I've always got a kick out of Sean Kelly for various reasons, but he seems to be more animated lately, and it suits him very well.
Yesterday he actually made a funny when referring to Filippo Ganna as Filippo Kawasaki. Geddit?! Filippo Kawasaki? Guys...? You there?

I think Kelly enjoys working with Hatch more than he does with your hero.
And/or he's got a grip on the technology and is well into OBS or whatever programme ES is using,

Reactions: Wyndbrook

Wasn't as good as his reference to Gavira "starting his sprint even earlier than yesterday" when he accelerated away from the breakaway group - only to crash a short while later.

I think Kelly enjoys working with Hatch more than he does with your hero.
And/or he's got a grip on the technology and is well into OBS or whatever programme ES is using,

Great point.
I've said it before that my man CK and Sean Kelly go together like oil and water; they should never be paired together.
One gets the sense that Kelly wants to punch the guy out for using metaphors and references to literature as a segway to get him to talk.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the only one who finds it amusing.
But yeah, Kelly is super amped at the Giro and it's great to hear.

Great point.
I've said it before that my man CK and Sean Kelly go together like oil and water; they should never be paired together.
One gets the sense that Kelly wants to punch the guy out for using metaphors and references to literature as a segway to get him to talk.
I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm the only one who finds it amusing.
But yeah, Kelly is super amped at the Giro and it's great to hear.

I'll never forget "do you reckon they are waiting for Godot, Sean?"

Kirby and Dan Lloyd seem to get on well together. I think they both enjoy a drink at the end of each stage.

Ladies and gentlemen, we are now on a rest day and it's time to take a breather. For those who miss the voice of my man CK, let me take you back to the Tour of Turkey. I think it will tide you over until the next time.
This clip personifies CK in all his glory. He makes a mistake but gets back on to the saddle and proceeds to call a memorable finale to an unusual finish. Brilliant.
Enjoy.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTkbgSbjHgQ

Last edited:
Just tuned in to Eurosport to hear Carlton Kirby call Abner Gonzalez the Peruvian champion. Only to then go into detail about the beautiful star on the Peruvian flag.
Is your mute button not working ? I tuned in fearing the worst but was ready with the mute button - fortunately managed to figure out who was commentating and deploy the mute button before getting to the end of the first sentence. Or if you have a pair of those noise-cancelling headphones that would also do the job

I'm possibly a rare breed that actually likes Kirby mainly because of his voice, delivery, emotion and "dad jokes" that are right in my alley. However, he is balancing at the verge of being just flat out corny. He makes a lot of mistakes but at least he doesn't mumble like Kelly does. I'm not a native english speaker and i just flat out can't understand him. I thought it may be because of him being Irish but then i heard some other Irish people on the web and i had no problem understanding them.

I prefer the combination of David Millar, Ned Boulting, Daniel Friebe and Matt Rendell and Sir Chris along with Gary Imlach BUT the CK BS RH SK combo is a good third wheel commentary team and Sir brad brings fabulous insight, however, the Orla woman, whilst quite decorative and pleasant of manner, I struggle to see what she is there for she is certainly no Gary Imlach could they not get Rochelle Gilmore if they need a glamourpuss?

I prefer the combination of David Millar, Ned Boulting, Daniel Friebe and Matt Rendell and Sir Chris along with Gary Imlach BUT the CK BS RH SK combo is a good third wheel commentary team and Sir brad brings fabulous insight, however, the Orla woman, whilst quite decorative and pleasant of manner, I struggle to see what she is there for she is certainly no Gary Imlach could they not get Rochelle Gilmore if they need a glamourpuss?

I much prefer the Eurosport team (CK included). The others you mention are okay apart from Rendell who just sounds like an accountant (probably is) whilst Imlach brings back bad memories of the time when all we had was him, Liggett, Sherwen and the continual Armstrong love-in.
And as for Orla. She has a cracking accent but I would say that as I'm originally from an equally boring wee town near from where she comes from. I think she does fine and prefer to Imlach.
I feel for the people who can't understand Kelly. It must be hard to decipher his wisdom but he is on the money all of the time.

TRENDING THREADS