• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 192 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I'm fine with pronunciations, but Hatch has become much worse in the last year with the forced excitement and exaggerations. (Every rider is in the form of his life!) I assume that's a directive from Eurosport, maybe as part of the GCN product/marketing push?
So, yeah, don't expect changes.

First post on here, but i feel the need to address Rob Hatch pronunciation which is driving me nuts, I love the Eurosport coverage the commentary with the insightful Sean Kelly, Carlton Kirby and the banter with J H Bass,But Rob Hatch has really gone into overdrive with He's pronunciation, I really noticed it this year at the Giro,as their was no Carlton to give us some respite,Rather than turn the sound off when Robs on i can now switch over to ITV4 as they are showing full coverage ,Please Eurosport get Rob Hatch to dial it down from 11 to perhaps a 5, no more Baarharraan.
You joined the forum just as the discussion of exactly that was dwindling: https://forum.cyclingnews.com/threads/rob-hatch.36918/

Yes, well err

I think from this point forward every post in this thread should pay tribute to Kelly by starting with Yes well err

love Sean Kelly, but I am finding he is choking on his words a lot more than usual. A lot of strange gurgling and ululating over the last few days.

+1 for John Harris Bass from here too. The Tour de France is more than a race so big fan of the colour he adds

Am I imagining it or did JH Bass once take over lead commentary for a Grand Tour stage because Hatch or Kirby lost audio as well as their co-commentator leaving the Bassman as the only one with workable audio?
More than likely as last year was a bit hit and miss sometimes. Although he was also the continuity speaker when they were transferring between raced like the Giro, Vuelta and Tour of Flanders when they ran at the same time.

I assume that Dutch and Danish Eurosport share the pre/post race coverage for the Tour, judging by Orla Chennaoui introductions, etc.

That does lead me to another that is more connected to the presenters than the race they're covering. I know that Orla does the Moto GP coverage sometimes for Dutch Eurosport. Does she speak dutch during that?

I assume that Dutch and Danish Eurosport share the pre/post race coverage for the Tour, judging by Orla Chennaoui introductions, etc.

That does lead me to another that is more connected to the presenters than the race they're covering. I know that Orla does the Moto GP coverage sometimes for Dutch Eurosport. Does she speak dutch during that?

She lives in Amsterdam so I assume she can. I’m intrigued as to whether her rural County Derry accent comes through when speaking Dutch (I grew up fairly close to where she did).

Yes, well, err, I'm trying to stay cam as I write this, but today's stage of the Tour of France was epic. I tuned in with 40 km's to go and winced when learning that my man Carlton Kirby was paired up with Sean Kelly. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I was keeping cam when all of a sudden the two seemed to hit it off and were in a rhythm and my cammness led to a sigh of relief. That combined with a glorious finish of stage 4 of the Tour of France made my day.

Am I imagining it or did JH Bass once take over lead commentary for a Grand Tour stage because Hatch or Kirby lost audio as well as their co-commentator leaving the Bassman as the only one with workable audio?

Can certainly remember him doing Paris-Nice for this reason 3/4 years ago - Hatch was on site with Kelly. It's so rare the commentators are there, usually in the UK studio. JHB usually does rugby stuff but has done the odd comms gig for Eurosport when they're short. Usually a crappy 2.1 race.

I don't need over-the-top "emotion" from commentators when I'm watching a bike race. In fact as someone who's constantly watching sections of the stages throughout the day (checking how it's going even when they're 100 km out), I find the commentary becomes a little bit fake in the final km, i.e. whether it's on Eurosport or on public TV, they start throwing around superlatives & emoting to cringe levels.

Like the other day on stage 1 when the Eurosport guy (English commentary) was blabbering on about Nino, i.e. Alaphilippe's kid, as he crossed the line. I mean Jesus Christ, get a grip.

TRENDING THREADS