• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 193 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Yes, well, err, I'm trying to stay cam as I write this, but today's stage of the Tour of France was epic. I tuned in with 40 km's to go and winced when learning that my man Carlton Kirby was paired up with Sean Kelly. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I was keeping cam when all of a sudden the two seemed to hit it off and were in a rhythm and my cammness led to a sigh of relief. That combined with a glorious finish of stage 4 of the Tour of France made my day.

You know it's calm, not cam, right?

I don't need over-the-top "emotion" from commentators when I'm watching a bike race. In fact as someone who's constantly watching sections of the stages throughout the day (checking how it's going even when they're 100 km out), I find the commentary becomes a little bit fake in the final km, i.e. whether it's on Eurosport or on public TV, they start throwing around superlatives & emoting to cringe levels.
Generally I'd agree with you, but yesterday was anything but fake.

Well then, I guess this is all said and done. Rackham doesn't need "emotion" from commentators when watching a bike race, so let's just call it a day, shall we?
All emotion shall be removed from bike race commentary henceforth. All bike race commentators shall speak in hushed and respectful tones so as not to upset Rackham.
Bike race commentators shall "get a grip" and if said "grip" starts to slip the bike race commentator shall be dealt with accordingly.
Carry on everybody.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well then, I guess this is all said and done. Rackham doesn't need "emotion" from commentators when watching a bike race, so let's just call it a day, shall we?
All emotion shall be removed from bike race commentary henceforth. All bike race commentators shall speak in hushed and respectful tones so as not to upset Rackham.
Bike race commentators shall "get a grip" and if said "grip" starts to slip the bike race commentator shall be dealt with accordingly.
Carry on everybody.

or like in a vintage Pathe newsreel

• Haha
Reactions: Sandisfan
The constant GCN+ adverts and mentions are more annoying than anything from the commentators.

Also having Eisel on a moto seems completely useless. What insight does he give that he can't give in a studio? Yesterday "Thomas looks good but he's losing time", today "the commissaires moved us away from the riders because they're going to get caught"
Maybe would be useful to judge time gaps or find out who is in groups without TV motos in the mountains, but otherwise not at all...

Last edited:
I agree. Eisel seems to have a lot going for him: good looks; successful cycling career; some cash stored in the bank; etc. But there's something about him that I can't quite put my finger on. Something about that vacant look in his eyes when he goes on about neutralizing sprint stages 10 km from the finish for GC teams or something silly like that. He seems a bit daft, you know. Not the brightest log on the ol' yuletide fire. The comment about getting caught was actually funny in an unintentional way. Guy seemed like a giddy kid out for a ride.

Is there an issue with the microphones, or is it just that every Eurosport commentator seems to make a very loud intake of breath as part of their vocal style? Kelly, Smith, Kirby and Lloyd all sound like they are drinking hot tea without separating their jaws before every sentence.

Is there an issue with the microphones, or is it just that every Eurosport commentator seems to make a very loud intake of breath as part of their vocal style? Kelly, Smith, Kirby and Lloyd all sound like they are drinking hot tea without separating their jaws before every sentence.

I was thinking the same thing. I can only assume that these guys are still calling races from the comfort of their own bedrooms and might have the mics too close to their mouths.
But yeah, it like hearing someone slurp their soup. Gross.
On another note, did anyone else catch the first bit of inter-generational tension between my man Carlton Kirby and the Brian guy against Dan Lloyd? Whooo boy, it was a doozy. Ok, not quite, but I think some nerves may have been touched.
Anyway, old fart Brian agreed with old fart CK that TP was not going to do all that work to catch up only to gift today's stage to another rider. Said Brian: "I agree with you, Carlton, he's not going to do all that work for nothing."
To which and incredulous and irritated Dan Lloyd jumped in and said the following: " He hasn't done all this work for nothing!" One could almost see the bullocks -and old -codgers and dim-witted- bloody -hell -bells going off in Lloyd's melon when my computer quit on me before I had a chance to hear a response.
At this point I didn't care who won the stage; I was waiting for a miracle and was praying to everything holy that my computer would wake up in time for me to survey the damage caused by that comment. Who was pissed at who? What passive aggressive remarks were being dished out, and where were they directed?
Uh yeah, what a race, huh?
p.s. Today my man made a blundering error when he said Woods had it in the bag with 25 km's to go. I was practically begging CK to stop talking before he went on the say Woods was a good descender. Oh, schit, I thought in reference to the cyclingnews message boards, here we go. Michael Woods is a terrible descender. But hey, no one is perfect.

TRENDING THREADS