• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 194 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nice to see Eisel has been replaced on the moto-bike by Sir Brad. Brad has ditched the bomber jacket and is dialed in. Sir Brad is injecting an element of excitement and insight that can only be seen from the moto, and for once he's not referring to the exploits of his hero Lance Armstrong. Win win!
P.S. The addition of recipe guy to the booth is a great touch.

Last edited:
I'm watching the last NBC coverage in the U.S. I love Phil's voice and excitement. He's a good guy. I'm wondering how he's feeling about being corrected (almost always appropriately) by Bob Roll about 15 times per broadcast. I've come to appreciate Bob Roll--seemed like a big goofball at first, but he adds insight and accuracy. But it is not the same pinball ride of a conversation like Phil and Paul used to have.

Reactions: Sandisfan
I'm watching the last NBC coverage in the U.S. I love Phil's voice and excitement. He's a good guy. I'm wondering how he's feeling about being corrected (almost always appropriately) by Bob Roll about 15 times per broadcast. I've come to appreciate Bob Roll--seemed like a big goofball at first, but he adds insight and accuracy. But it is not the same pinball ride of a conversation like Phil and Paul used to have.

Phil's still around? I did not know that. Guy said he would retire the second he learned that Lance was taking PED's. I remember thinking that was a really dumb thing to say.
I loved Phil's commentary back in the day. Calls like "Here they come under the 1 km to go banner, mouths like goldfish" always made a stage even more exciting, and will always stick in my memory. He was one of a few commentators who drew me into the sport. His off-the-cuff commentary was top stuff, and the chemistry with Paul was genuine, even when one pissed the other off.

Is Chris Horner part of these broadcasts? If so, in what capacity? If I was Phil, I'd feel better being corrected by Horner rather than the goofball Roll.

p.s. Are you really the son of David Duke?

Phil's still around? I did not know that. Guy said he would retire the second he learned that Lance was taking PED's. I remember thinking that was a really dumb thing to say.
I loved Phil's commentary back in the day. Calls like "Here they come under the 1 km to go banner, mouths like goldfish" always made a stage even more exciting, and will always stick in my memory. He was one of a few commentators who drew me into the sport. His off-the-cuff commentary was top stuff, and the chemistry with Paul was genuine, even when one pissed the other off.

Is Chris Horner part of these broadcasts? If so, in what capacity? If I was Phil, I'd feel better being corrected by Horner rather than the goofball Roll.

p.s. Are you really the son of David Duke?
I went to school at Davidson and Duke. A not very well thought out online name that I use most places.
The NBC sports feed has featured Phil and Bob since Paul died. Adam Blythe is the moto commentator--fun to hear him.

There is a pre and post show where Chris Horner and Christian Vande Velde are. The two of them pipe in occasionally during the race. There is a commercial free streaming feed with two other commentators--but I don't remember their names.

Seems good ol' Bob knows how to deal with these missteps in a polite and tactful manner.
Kudos, Bob. No need to bark at the guy and tell him he's a useless piece of stool.
We're not talking the Cuban Missile Crisis here, after all. But yeah, maybe time some people need to be put out to pasture.
And I'm definitely not referring to my man Carlton Kirby.

Oh lord, is someone still employing Liggett? Always thought that guy was a chancer and should have laid on his sword after the Armstrong thing.
Thankfully back in the day I had Eurosport so got David Duffield instead. Yer man Kirby bases his style on him a lot.

Reactions: the delgados
Of all the commentators I've heard the last few years the one I like the most is probably Bridie O'Donnell. She's one of the best at recognising riders and is somehow able to keep Robbie McEwen focused. She also has a huge knowledge of the sport from a physiological perspective being a practicing doctor.

TBH McEwen and Matt Keenan are better with her there IMO

Pretty much the only thing that is annoying about Hatch for me is how he overreacts to someone getting dropped or abandoning.

Kruijswijk DNF and Kwiatkowski dropping are going to have 0.1% impact on what happens today and it sounded like Pogacar has crashed into a ditch or something.

Oh lord, is someone still employing Liggett? Always thought that guy was a chancer and should have laid on his sword after the Armstrong thing.
Thankfully back in the day I had Eurosport so got David Duffield instead. Yer man Kirby bases his style on him a lot.
Thank you for the heads up. I have never heard of David Duffield until now and intend to look him up.
p.s. What does chancer mean? Is that a take on Kimmage's reference to LA being a cancer on the sport?
p.p.s. I agree he should have folded up his tent after swearing he would quit the game if it turned out that Armstrong was doping. Sometimes ego gets the best of us.

Thank you for the heads up. I have never heard of David Duffield until now and intend to look him up.
p.s. What does chancer mean? Is that a take on Kimmage's reference to LA being a cancer on the sport?
p.p.s. I agree he should have folded up his tent after swearing he would quit the game if it turned out that Armstrong was doping. Sometimes ego gets the best of us.

I suppose a chancer is a kind of a bluffer. He really tried to be this great cycling authority and thought he could get away with his Armstrong crap but he couldn't.

Here's one of many tribute pages to Duffield. Not a genius by any means but he had his moments such as ""He's so far down on GC you could time him in with a calendar"

Unlike nowadays, back in the 90s he was quite often left to do a whole sprint stage on his own meaning the poor old chap had to talk about last night's dinner for five hours.

TRENDING THREADS