• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 195 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
They tried to enthuse about Indurain whereas what was in Duffield's baguette and how it came to be there was often more interesting than the racing.

I don't think I ever watched a race that Liggett and Sherwin commentated on that included Indurain. I only have watched classics during that era. So maybe they were boring during the Tour idk.

And I had access to ES at the very end of Duffield's career. At the time, I thought maybe he was just horrible due to old age. But, nope, when I watch older races he was just as bad. I can kind of see how Kirby is similar except Kirby can actually be funny. All of the most horrible ES commentators over the years (e.g., Quigley, Harmon) seemed to inherit different horrible traits from Duffield.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
Brad on a bike is definitely better than Two Bernies on a Derny. Wiggins seems more involved within the race than Eisel was during the first week.

And wrapped up to the nines. Well pilotjacket w/o any t-shirt under whatsoever..:D Going crazy during his commentry broadcast, when seeing some old teammate or else going there. He's crazy good.

Kelly giving cold love to Latour for his stupid rage for what (agree 100) saing it's been Bastille Day three weeks! :smilecat:

I don't think I ever watched a race that Liggett and Sherwin commentated on that included Indurain. I only have watched classics during that era. So maybe they were boring during the Tour idk.

And I had access to ES at the very end of Duffield's career. At the time, I thought maybe he was just horrible due to old age. But, nope, when I watch older races he was just as bad. I can kind of see how Kirby is similar except Kirby can actually be funny. All of the most horrible ES commentators over the years (e.g., Quigley, Harmon) seemed to inherit different horrible traits from Duffield.

He only irritated me slightly less than Liggett. I grew to accept him even though my first impressions of him calling city centre crits - wearing a boater hat and striped blazer - were less than complimentary.
Maybe it's a thing of preferring Eurosport to British terrestrial TV commentary and on balance they;re better because I really don't care which country a rider comes from.

Hanna Walker needs to relax, she sounds robotic.

Maybe she's a bit nervous. I don't remember female commentators at le Tour.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but to her credit, she manages to crack wise with the old farts and adds some insight into what's going on.
I like the sound of a female voice in the commentator booth. It's a nice change from the usual sausage party. Give her time; she'll be fine.

She did well commentating the Vuelta last year, but the guy who she did it with is the most boring commentator. Don't know his name.
Anthony Macrossan. I think he's currently doing the international feed for the Tour and as you say was doin it on the Vuelta last year. I assume he has been hired to do the international feed for ASO as he does it regularly for the UCI at CX and the road worlds and the English finish line commentary at the giro.

I actually like McCrossan even though people find him dull. The golf-like commentary is nice for some of the quieter and slower paced moments of a race.
I think he was paired with Matt Stephens for the 2019 Worlds and that was a great team.
If only he had a clue as to what was going on. Also, he fills each millisecond with his annoying voice, so I don't really know how that can be nice.

With all the things going on in the world -- Covid, raging firestorms, random murders, etc. etc. -- I like to take pleasure in the small things. Thinks like listening to my man Carlton Kirby and Sean Kelly hit it off like they are best buds. Today's stage was music to my ears. I even heard Kelly laugh at my man CK's jokes. It was glorious.
On a more serious note, I'm wondering if anyone caught the comparison CK and SK were making between Slovenian cycling and Irish cycling back in the day.
CK remarked how remarkable it is that a country with such a small population and little to no cycling history would suddenly spawn three of the best riders in the sport.
By this point I closed all windows, put on my headphones and turned it up to eleven before hearing this from Sean (paraphrase)
"Yeah, well, err, you are correct Carlton. Back in the day we had riders like myself, Steven Roche, Martin Early, and uh, Kimmage who were all very capable. They were very good riders who didn't go along in the same vein..."
Clearly he was referring to, uh, err, Kimmage and Early, right?
Fascinating stuff coming out of this year's le Tour.
Back to the commentator booth.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Sean Kelly and Carlton Kirby were fooling nobody yesterday when claiming they did not know what stage winner MM's 'zipped lips' gesture was all about.
Why were they trying to play it down?
It was obvious to anybody who knows the sordid history of cycling he was mimicking Lance Armstrong's 'Omertà' gesture.
C'mon guys, stop pissing down our necks and telling us it is raining.

Reactions: the delgados
Maybe she's a bit nervous. I don't remember female commentators at le Tour.
I totally understand where you're coming from, but to her credit, she manages to crack wise with the old farts and adds some insight into what's going on.
I like the sound of a female voice in the commentator booth. It's a nice change from the usual sausage party. Give her time; she'll be fine.

She's great. Her knowledge is really good. Just a little nervous maybe.

Sean Kelly and Carlton Kirby were fooling nobody yesterday when claiming they did not know what stage winner MM's 'zipped lips' gesture was all about.
Why were they trying to play it down?
It was obvious to anybody who knows the sordid history of cycling he was mimicking Lance Armstrong's 'Omertà' gesture.
C'mon guys, stop pissing down our necks and telling us it is raining.

it's the Omerta. Funny whenever there was Dawg's case against him or anything against Sky they wouldn't talk about it.

I thought they were okay, I mean what do you expect? It's 6 hours of cycling with all the action in the last hour.
I see there are some mentions of former commentator Duffield, who split opinion to put it mildly.
I remember once, mid-broadcast, he decided to have a go at the critics "slagging me off" and reeled off a list of his commentating achievements and experience.
Unbelievable, to use a favourite cycling broadcasting word.
He was canned soon after that.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan and yaco

TRENDING THREADS