• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 196 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
You must have never heard Rochelle Gilmore then?

She was on the MTB this morning on GCN. I had to mute it.

This is sort of a tongue-in-cheek reply, but just out of curiosity, do you really press mute?
I don't care either way, but I've read that comment so many times that I can't help but ask.
I have no clue who you are referring to, but do you really hit mute because s/he is actually ruining the race by adding comments you don't like? I'm not trying to come across as a snark; my question is sincere. It might be dumb, but it's sincere.
Reason I ask is I can't imagine hitting the mute button when watching/listening to my least favourite commentator. It just adds to the spectacle, but maybe that's just me.

This is sort of a tongue-in-cheek reply, but just out of curiosity, do you really press mute?
I don't care either way, but I've read that comment so many times that I can't help but ask.
I have no clue who you are referring to, but do you really hit mute because s/he is actually ruining the race by adding comments you don't like? I'm not trying to come across as a snark; my question is sincere. It might be dumb, but it's sincere.
Reason I ask is I can't imagine hitting the mute button when watching/listening to my least favourite commentator. It just adds to the spectacle, but maybe that's just me.

I'm not MartinGT, but I am answering for me: I really don't like to mute a race or any sports broadcast completely, but if the commentators get too much I do it. Happens rarely, though, in most cases I'm just raging.

If I could I'd mute Brian Smith (I know about the role of the team car, thank you very much) and leave the other guy be, even if it happens to be Kirby.
Oh hold on, then I'd just get the riders being incorrectly identified.
I'm going to give the mute button a go!

If I could I'd mute Brian Smith (I know about the role of the team car, thank you very much) and leave the other guy be, even if it happens to be Kirby.
Oh hold on, then I'd just get the riders being incorrectly identified.
I'm going to give the mute button a go!

Hey, hey! Easy on my man Carlton Kirby. What the hell is going on here? This is an outrage!
Obviously I can't speak for others, but Kirby is delightful and he deserves his kudos. Hang in there, Carlton. Keep on keeping on, buddy. Who cares if you misidentify a rider on occasion? I challenge everyone to name a commentator who doesn't do so.
Meantime, keep up the awesome work.
p.s. If you don't mind, give the mute button a go and report back. I would be very surprised if you watched a bunch gallop on mute and didn't regret hearing my man CK calling it down to the wire.

Reactions: Sandisfan
British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2021 (men's elite):

Grand Prix La Marseillaise (live on 31/1): Kirby & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Tour of Provence (live from 11/2): Lloyd & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
Clasica De Almeria: Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Alpes-Maritimes (live from 20/2): Been & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
UAE Tour (live from 21/2): Kirby & Smith
Omloop Het Niewsblad (live on 27/2): Lloyd & Blythe
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne (live on 28/2): Hatch & Blythe
GP Le Samyn (live on 2/3): Been & Backstedt
Strade Bianche (live 6/3): Hatch & Lloyd
Grand Prix Jean Monsere: (live 7/3): Been & Backstedt
Paris-Nice (live from 7/3): Hatch & Blythe
Tirreno-Adriatico (live from 10/3): Kirby & Lloyd
Nokere Koerse (live on 17/3): Been & Backstedt
Bredene Koksijde Classic (live on 19/3): Been & Backstedt
Milano-Sanremo (live on 20/3): Hatch & Smith
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (live from 22/3): Kirby & Smith
Brugge - De Panne (live on 24/3): Hatch & Blythe
E3 SaxoBank Classic (live on 26/3): Hatch & Blythe (ES Player/GCN only)
Gent - Wevelgem (live on 28/3): Stephens & Blythe
Cholet Pays De La Loire (live on 28/3): Been & Backstedt (ES Player/GCN only)
Dwars door Vlaanderen (live on 31/3): Kirby & Blythe
GP Miguel Indurain: (live on 3/4): Jez Cox & Blythe
Ronde van Vlaanderen (live on 4/4): Kirby, Lloyd, Backstedt & Blythe
Itzulia Basque Country: (live from 5/4): Kirby & Smith
Scheldeprijs (live on 7/4): Stephens & Blythe
Presidential Tour of Turkey (live from 11/4): Kirby & Smith
Brabantse Pijl (live on 14/4): Stephens & Lloyd (ES Player/GCN only)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 14/4): Been & Backstedt
Amstel Gold Race (live on 18/4): Stephens & Blythe
Tour of the Alps (live from 19/4): Stephens & Lloyd
Fleche Wallonne (live on 21/4): Kirby & Blythe
Liege-Bastogne-Liege (live on 25/4): Hatch & Smith
Tour de Romandie (live from 27/4): Hatch & Smith
Volta ao Algarve: Kirby & Backstedt
Giro d'Italia (live from 8/5): Hatch & Lloyd with Kelly, Smith, Backstedt, Blyth (+ Dan Bigham stage 1, Hannah Walker stage 6, Wiggins)
Tour of Hungary (live from 12/5): Kirby & Backstedt
Circuit de Wallonie: Been & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Challenge Mallorca series (highlights): Quigley (solo)
Tro Bro Leon (on 16/5): Cox & Walker
Vuelta a Andalucia (live from 19/5): Kirby & Smith
Tour Du Finistere (live on 22/5): Been & Backstedt (ES Player / GCN only)
Vuelta Ciclista a Murcia (live on 23/5): Kirby & Smith
Volta Limburg (live on 24/5): Kirby & Smith (ES Player / GCN only)
Mercantour Classic (live on 24/5): Been & Backstedt (ES Player / GCN only)
Critirium Du Dauphine (live from 30/5): Kirby & Smith
Tour de Suisse (live from 6/6): Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Slovenia (live from 9/6): Cox & Smith
Tour of Belgium (live from 9/6): Been & Stephens
Adriatica-Ionica (live from 15/6): Quigley & Backstedt
Spanish National Championship (live on 20/6): Hatch & Stephens
French National Championship (live on 20/6): Kirby & Smith
Tour de France (live from 26/6): Kirby & Hatch with Harris-Bass, Smith, Kelly, Lloyd, Wiggins, Roger Hammond, Backstedt, Walker, Bigham & Wiggins
Tour de Wallonie (stages 3-5 live from 22/7): Stephens & Backstedt (ES Player/GCN only)
Olympic Road Race - Men (live on 24/7): Stephens & Smith
Olympic Time Trial - Men (live on 28/7): Stephens & Michael Hutchinson
Tour de l'Ain (live from 29/7): Cox & Blythe (ES Player/GCN only)
Classica San Sebastian (live on 31/7): Matt Rendell (solo) (ES Player/GCN only)
Arctic Race of Norway (live from 5/8): Been & Stephens
Tour of Denmark (live from 10/8): Hatch & Smith
Vuelta a Espana (live from 14/8): tbc

Last edited:
You must have never heard Rochelle Gilmore then?

She was on the MTB this morning on GCN. I had to mute it.

Disappointing that GCN took the 'world feed' for the MTB races, but used their own guys for the road & ITT events. Just laziness on their part. Get one of the GMBN team, hire Rob Warner, etc
No offence, but Gilmore knows 'diddly squat' about MTB.....Gerald de Kock at least does the Cape Epic commentary.

Yes I do. She doesn't add any value to the race. I would rather watch the race and not have her inept whining take away from the value of my experience.

I do have some commentators who, like you say are not my least favourite that I don't press mute. With Gilmore she's dumb. Slagging off MVDP for going from the road to the MTB in a short time Yet Pidcock was racing road upto the 27th of June, but nah, that wasn't mentioned at all.

Mens olympic time trial was quite enjoyable listening to Matt Stephens and Michael Hutchinson. As much as I enjoy the more technical or 'nerdy' side of the sport, i found Hutchinson slightly more preferable during this tt than Dan Bigham.
Dan seems a bit too stiff really. Knows his stuff for sure, but needs to chill.

I knew it was Matt Rendell doing Classica San Sebastian but I didn't believe it as I thought he was contracted to ITV unless he's just employed there as a freelancer. I thought the spoken Spanish words on the commentary sounded an awful lot like him.

I was thinking that maybe it was some kind of global English language feed. Strange that GCN didn't put a team on there as they did L'ain earlier in the day. Alternatively, Kirby called in sick just so we'd want him back.

Ahem, Sean, we have 60 km's to go and I've heard someone say I called in sick. That's a preposterous notion, especially considering we are entering the areas where I've spent time getting jolly and enjoying the locals, if you know what I mean. Sean, do you know what I'm saying? You'd have to pull me out on a stretcher to avoid this lovely race. The break has a five minute lead and I'm beginning to think that, Sean, they may have a chance to take it to the line. Sean? You there?

p.s. Carlton, if you happen to be reading this nonsense, I genuinely appreciate everything you bring to the table.

• Love
Ahem, Sean, we have 60 km's to go and I've heard someone say I called in sick. That's a preposterous notion, especially considering we are entering the areas where I've spent time getting jolly and enjoying the locals, if you know what I mean. Sean, do you know what I'm saying? You'd have to pull me out on a stretcher to avoid this lovely race. The break has a five minute lead and I'm beginning to think that, Sean, they may have a chance to take it to the line. Sean? You there?

p.s. Carlton, if you happen to be reading this nonsense, I genuinely appreciate everything you bring to the table.
Well he is certainly not covering himself in glory in Tokyo, waffling on, with looks like he has been shriking on his homework.

I think he suits track quite well. At least he tries to stay neutral as opposed to Joanna Rowsell who totally forgets that she is working for Global Cycling Network not British Cycling Network.
I respect your view, but surely Jo is more neutral than CK who frequently uses 'we' in relation to British riders.
I,m sure you will agree she always does her homework and her facts and calculations are impeccable.

• Wow

TRENDING THREADS