• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 198 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
What is actually 24 year old Manon Llody (unremarkable former track-/failed roadcyclist) doing among the GCN/Eurosport experts? I mean you got guys like Contador, Wiggns or Shawn Kelly and the others are at least well known, long time (former) procyclists..

More female presenters is great and I think Cherie Pridham is a knowledgeable addition to the team (unlike Smith she's good enough to get paid to be a DS) but yeah Manon is not exactly an expert. I hope Jo Rowsell doesn't get added though as she only acknowledges Brit riders so we'd just have to listen to hours about Lizzie Diegnan.,

Reactions: Andy262
More female presenters is great and I think Cherie Pridham is a knowledgeable addition to the team (unlike Smith she's good enough to get paid to be a DS) but yeah Manon is not exactly an expert. I hope Jo Rowsell doesn't get added though as she only acknowledges Brit riders so we'd just have to listen to hours about Lizzie Diegnan.,

Yea this wasnt about her being female, if it was a male retired 24 year old former entirely unsuccesful PCT rider I would ask the same. Its just that the other pundits are usually somewhat recognizble faces because they had a lengthy at least somewhat successful pro cycling career at the highest level and/or have been in the cycling media business for a long time.

There are other former low level pros doing youtube videos for GCN but you usually dont seem them being ask for their expert opinion on Eurosport/GCN broadcasts of WT races.

Yea this wasnt about her being female, if it was a male retired 24 year old former entirely unsuccesful PCT rider I would ask the same. Its just that the other pundits are usually somewhat recognizble faces because they had a lengthy at least somewhat successful pro cycling career at the highest level and/or have been in the cycling media business for a long time.

There are other former low level pros doing youtube videos for GCN but you usually dont seem them being ask for their expert opinion on Eurosport/GCN broadcasts of WT races.
Lloyd is clearly trying to work full time in media/video/tv. Any anglophone former pro wno can speak coherently and has presenting experience and is actively trying to get more work of this sort has a reasonable chance of getting some. Having been successful as a pro helps, but is certainly not a requirement.

Reactions: Kaptain Kool
Lloyd is clearly trying to work full time in media/video/tv. Any anglophone former pro wno can speak coherently and has presenting experience and is actively trying to get more work of this sort has a reasonable chance of getting some. Having been successful as a pro helps, but is certainly not a requirement.
Yeah Karsten Migels has been German cyclo cross champion in the 80s, before he became a sports journalist coming from the track announcer route.

Robert Bengsch has been military tt champion, has won the Tour of Alsace and of course was a track cyclist before becoming an announcer at track cycling events and then joining Eurosport as an expert. Since he has been main-reporter at the opening weekend this spring Eurosport probably tries to develop him into a commentator role as well.

So while it may seem odd for Manon Lloyd to join as an expert in first instance. If it's just her entree and they intend to let her develop into a truly sports journalist I understand it.

Migels always is a good example why such a move can be prosperous. Because he combines passion and knowledge of the sport with journalistic skills.

Whether that's going to be successful with Bengsch & Lloyd is yet to be seen. Bengsch has good approaches. He's alert. Knows a lot about talents and informs the user. Talks a bit dry though. Can't rate Lloyd, because I basically only hear her at the predictor.

Dunno if Eurosport still sends people to the Paris headquarters for journalistic apprenticeship like they did with Migels though!

Last edited:
...where i live is technically britain.....but i'm a geordie........

...small minded...i know....

Mark L
I thought you needed a passport to get into that area?!

On the Manon Lloyd Situation, I think its possibly similar to Hannah Walker. She has come on board to the Eurosport/GCN broadcasts every so often during the Giro and the Tour. She was also in the role as the expert at last years Vuelta for the international broadcast package from ASO/Unipublic and I remember that people weren't very keen on her as a commentator in that. I definitely noticed a difference between Walker's Giro and Tour commentary. She's also done commentary on other ASO events with Anthony Macrossan, the britsh elite road series highlights packages and zwift racing commentary so all of this as well as being a Communications and Social Media Manager (according to her Insta bio) for her former racing team of WNT, it definitely brings her towards the mould of what others were mentioning what Lloyd could also become.

Dear diary:
I have missed most of the Vuelta on account of my screen freezing every two seconds.
But I love my man Carlton Kirby whispering sweet somethings in my ear after every stage. The way he presents post-stage highlights is awesome. It's soothing in a way. He is the best.
I hope no one on the cyclingnews forum will beat him up.

Last edited:
Not usually one to moan about commentators, but I'm currently in a country where we get the 'international' feed for the Vuelta and honestly Hannah Walker is making it borderline unwatchable for me. I'm sure there are decent insights in there but the delivery is just so painful (without even getting into the bizarre FDJ/Démare pronunciations). I get that she's probably new to this and will probably improve with time but, for now, come back Carlton all is forgiven!!!

Te2UA4Hh_o.jpg

.................trying to maintain level of excitement.....and time gap ended up closer than expected

................if only TOB was on eurosport to avoid ITV4 endless adverts many of which are for
charities depicting suffering kids/animals.....luckily with a 'heart of stone' i can ignore

Mark L
Is the ToB only on GCN then?

Commentary on the Mixed Relay TTT in the Euro Champs with Marty MacDonald and Michael Hutchinson was quite enjoyable. Hutchinson is clear and concise when giving technical information but doesn't present it in a way that makes it difficult to understand, despite being sometimes probably difficult maths to calculate what he's stating.

Not usually one to moan about commentators, but I'm currently in a country where we get the 'international' feed for the Vuelta and honestly Hannah Walker is making it borderline unwatchable for me. I'm sure there are decent insights in there but the delivery is just so painful (without even getting into the bizarre FDJ/Démare pronunciations). I get that she's probably new to this and will probably improve with time but, for now, come back Carlton all is forgiven!!!

Te2UA4Hh_o.jpg

I haven't heard her but that poster seems quite harsh :tearsofjoy:

not commentary but an ongoing ES grumble.....

watching on demand i find that often choosing event accompanying pic shows the winner...for time i thought that i was imagining things and pic was just the form rider?

today catching up with 2 races shown 12th sept....antwerp port epic....grand prix fourmies
and on both winning rider was shown in pic

too much of a coincidence so i contacted ES and they replied promptly 'that they would look
into it...'.....anyone else noticed this?

Mark L
Not noticed it as I subscribe to GCN+ but back in the day Eurosport would put the Sports News directly prior to the cycling highlights where seeing the winner of each stage was unavoidable, something they no longer do fortunately.

Anybody with a bit of technical media knowledge, please apply at German Eurosport. If they tell you they don't need you, believe me, they do.
This mainly happens with Leclercq's connection. Maybe a problem to get his signal from Switzerland to Paris and then to Unterföhring? It's a bit weird, because all those years he assisted Migels in commentary there weren't any problems with his connection.

British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2021 (men's elite):

Grand Prix La Marseillaise (live on 31/1): Kirby & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Tour of Provence (live from 11/2): Lloyd & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
Clasica De Almeria: Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Alpes-Maritimes (live from 20/2): Been & Stephens (ES Player/GCN only)
UAE Tour (live from 21/2): Kirby & Smith
Omloop Het Niewsblad (live on 27/2): Lloyd & Blythe
Kuurne-Brussel-Kuurne (live on 28/2): Hatch & Blythe
GP Le Samyn (live on 2/3): Been & Backstedt
Strade Bianche (live 6/3): Hatch & Lloyd
Grand Prix Jean Monsere: (live 7/3): Been & Backstedt
Paris-Nice (live from 7/3): Hatch & Blythe
Tirreno-Adriatico (live from 10/3): Kirby & Lloyd
Nokere Koerse (live on 17/3): Been & Backstedt
Bredene Koksijde Classic (live on 19/3): Been & Backstedt
Milano-Sanremo (live on 20/3): Hatch & Smith
Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (live from 22/3): Kirby & Smith
Brugge - De Panne (live on 24/3): Hatch & Blythe
E3 SaxoBank Classic (live on 26/3): Hatch & Blythe (ES Player/GCN only)
Gent - Wevelgem (live on 28/3): Stephens & Blythe
Cholet Pays De La Loire (live on 28/3): Been & Backstedt (ES Player/GCN only)
Dwars door Vlaanderen (live on 31/3): Kirby & Blythe
GP Miguel Indurain: (live on 3/4): Jez Cox & Blythe
Ronde van Vlaanderen (live on 4/4): Kirby, Lloyd, Backstedt & Blythe
Itzulia Basque Country: (live from 5/4): Kirby & Smith
Scheldeprijs (live on 7/4): Stephens & Blythe
Presidential Tour of Turkey (live from 11/4): Kirby & Smith
Brabantse Pijl (live on 14/4): Stephens & Lloyd (ES Player/GCN only)
Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 14/4): Been & Backstedt
Amstel Gold Race (live on 18/4): Stephens & Blythe
Tour of the Alps (live from 19/4): Stephens & Lloyd
Fleche Wallonne (live on 21/4): Kirby & Blythe
Liege-Bastogne-Liege (live on 25/4): Hatch & Smith
Tour de Romandie (live from 27/4): Hatch & Smith
Volta ao Algarve: Kirby & Backstedt
Giro d'Italia (live from 8/5): Hatch & Lloyd with Kelly, Smith, Backstedt, Blyth (+ Dan Bigham stage 1, Hannah Walker stage 6, Wiggins)
Tour of Hungary (live from 12/5): Kirby & Backstedt
Circuit de Wallonie: Been & Smith (ES Player/GCN only)
Challenge Mallorca series (highlights): Quigley (solo)
Tro Bro Leon (on 16/5): Cox & Walker
Vuelta a Andalucia (live from 19/5): Kirby & Smith
Tour Du Finistere (live on 22/5): Been & Backstedt (ES Player / GCN only)
Vuelta Ciclista a Murcia (live on 23/5): Kirby & Smith
Volta Limburg (live on 24/5): Kirby & Smith (ES Player / GCN only)
Mercantour Classic (live on 24/5): Been & Backstedt (ES Player / GCN only)
Critirium Du Dauphine (live from 30/5): Kirby & Smith
Tour de Suisse (live from 6/6): Hatch & Backstedt
Tour of Slovenia (live from 9/6): Cox & Smith
Tour of Belgium (live from 9/6): Been & Stephens
Adriatica-Ionica (live from 15/6): Quigley & Backstedt
Spanish National Championship (live on 20/6): Hatch & Stephens
French National Championship (live on 20/6): Kirby & Smith
Tour de France (live from 26/6): Kirby & Hatch with Harris-Bass, Smith, Kelly, Lloyd, Wiggins, Roger Hammond, Backstedt, Walker, Bigham & Wiggins
Tour de Wallonie (stages 3-5 live from 22/7): Stephens & Backstedt (ES Player/GCN only)
Olympic Road Race - Men (live on 24/7): Stephens & Smith
Olympic Time Trial - Men (live on 28/7): Stephens & Michael Hutchinson
Tour de l'Ain (live from 29/7): Cox & Blythe (ES Player/GCN only)
Classica San Sebastian (live on 31/7): Matt Rendell (solo) (ES Player/GCN only)
Arctic Race of Norway (live from 5/8): Been & Stephens
Tour of Denmark (live from 10/8): Hatch & Smith
Vuelta a Espana (live from 14/8): Kirby, Kelly, Smith, Blyth, Cherie Pridham & Backstedt
Grand Prix Jef Scherens (live on 15/8): Been (solo) (ES Player/GCN only)
Tour of Norway (live from 19/8): Been & Stephens
Marcel Kint Konvert Classic: Cox & Backstedt (ES Player/GCN only)
Tour of Germany (live from 26/8): Stephens & Smith
Brussels Classic (live on 28/8): Been & Backstedt
Bretagne Classic (live on 29/8): Hatch & Backstedt
Benelux Tour (live from 30/8): Hatch & Backstedt
European Road Championships Mixed TT (live on 8/9): MacDonald & Hutchinson
European Road Championships TT (live on 9/9): Kirby & Hutchinson
European Championships Road Race (live on 12/9): Kirby & Lloyd
Antwerp Port Epic (live on 12/9): Hatch & Walker
Grand Prix de Fourmies (live on 12/9): Been & Backstedt
Tour of Luxembourg (live from 14/9): Kirby & Smith
Tour of Slovakia (live from 15/9): MacDonald & Walker
Grand Prix de Wallonie (from 14/9): Been & Backstedt
Copa Sabatini (live on 16/9): Hatch & Backstedt
Championship of Flanders (live on 17/9): Been & Backstedt
Primus Classic (live on 18/9): Cox & Backstedt
Eschborn-Frankfurt (live on 19/9): Kirby & Smith
World Championships TT: (live on 19/9): Kirby & Hutchinson
Grand Prix de Denain (live on 21/9): Cox & Walker
World Championships Mixed TT (live on 22/9): Hatch & Hutchinson
World Championships Road Race (live on 26/9): Hatch, Smith & Blythe
Tour of Sicily (live from 28/9): Quigley & Smith
CRO Race (live from 28/9): Kirby & Jacob Tipper (Cox in for Kirby stage 5)
Tour of Eurometropole (on 29/9): Hatch & Backstedt
Paris-Roubaix (live on 3/10): Hatch, Lloyd, Tom Southam & Backstedt
Tour of Munsterland (live on 3/10): Cox & Smith
Bernocchi Cup (live on 4/10): Hatch & Lloyd
Binche-Chimay-Binche (live on 5/10): Been & Backstedt
Milan-Torino (live on 6/10): Hatch & Lloyd
Gran Piemonte (live on 7/10): Hatch & Lloyd
Il Lombardia (live on 9/10): Hatch & Lloyd
Tour de Vendee (live on 9/10): Kirby & Smith
Paris-Tours (live on 10/10): Kirby & Smith
Agostini Cup (live on 11/10): Hatch & Lloyd
Tour of Venetia (live on 13/10): Hatch & Lloyd