• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 201 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I don't agree. I don't need my bike racing to be a study in formality. Plus it would feel very artificial. Then again, we're more lax as Danes regarding politeness than most other countries, I think (apart, unsurprisingly, from Netserk).
We're quite informal and egalitarian (provincial too), and on the whole I very much appreciate that, but at times it would be nice with a greater distance between us. Like getting official mail from the state or municipality beginning with "Hey [first name], [bla bla]".

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan
I don't agree. I don't need my bike racing to be a study in formality. Plus it would feel very artificial. Then again, we're more lax as Danes regarding politeness than most other countries, I think (apart, unsurprisingly, from Netserk).
It is not the role of a commentator to invite the listener to consider different riders in different lights depending on whether he is on first name terms with them. Treating different riders by different naming standards depending on whether he gets on with with them is unprofessional, regardless of whether it is formal.

Reactions: postmanhat
In more important news Matt Keenan who heads up the commentary team for the ASO English world feed for many of the their races including the Vuelta and the TDF will only be on the ground at the TDF - Apparently for the Vuelta and some other ASO races he will do the commentary from Australia - He'll also commentate the Giro remotely - I am interested on whether Eurosport will have commentators on the ground for the Grand Tours.

It is not the role of a commentator to invite the listener to consider different riders in different lights depending on whether he is on first name terms with them. Treating different riders by different naming standards depending on whether he gets on with with them is unprofessional, regardless of whether it is formal.

Still don't agree. We're all people, including the commentators.

But then again, the guys who comment cyclocross on Danish TV2 are insufferable because they're clearly just fanboys of Mathieu and Wout (which they call them, without knowing them) and that's not good.

We are all people, but the essence of professionalism is the willingness to put personal preferences aside when they are inappropriate.

But that's my point, I don't find it inappropriate at all, I would find it exceedingly odd if they had to talk about riders I know they know well with an artificial distance just to live up to some strange preconception of how their job is supposed to be done. Fortunately, that job can be interpreted in different ways.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Not road racing, but it was good to finally get some good weekend long coverage from GCN and Eurosport at the CX world champs.

I agree, overall I thought the coverage was excellent.
Only a few minor technical hitches with sound, I was expecting the worst after the autumn US races.
Jeremy Powers was popping up everywhere on the course, almost impossible not to not to feel excited.

TRENDING THREADS