• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 203 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Eurosport/Discovery annual subscription is more expensive than GCN normally (in the UK at least) but it's cheaper this week with the discount, so seems like a no brainer for me to get it now. I assume the streams and commentary are the same for both.

I don't think cycling is that popular in the UK as a TV sport (hence why it's on Eurosport, the home of minority sports here). Sure the live races are always rammed with people who just go for the event but I imagine the percentage of those that can name more than 3 non-British riders is very small.

It was a grand old time 2014, nothing like seeing the collective disappointment of a million Yorkshiremen who've stood on a hill waiting for a glimpse of their hero, the 2014 Tour of California winner to arrive.

Agree that the 'first name terms' thing Blyth does is mute worthy, the Jermaine Jenas of cycling commentary.

BBC sports news bulletins didn't even mention Pidcock's CX world championship, and they are normally all over any kind of UK sports success.

The TV quiz 'Pointless' (you may know it as 'Jo færre, jo bedre ') had a round on TdF winners since the war, and pointless answers included such obvious/recent riders as Sastre, Roche, Pereiro, Riis and Evans (100 out of 100 random people didn't name them when asked to name Tour winners)

Outside of people I have met in a cycling specific context, I have met precisely one person I can have any conversation with about racing in any depth at all.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Sandisfan
BBC sports news bulletins didn't even mention Pidcock's CX world championship, and they are normally all over any kind of UK sports success.

The TV quiz 'Pointless' (you may know it as 'Jo færre, jo bedre ') had a round on TdF winners since the war, and pointless answers included such obvious/recent riders as Sastre, Roche, Pereiro, Riis and Evans (100 out of 100 random people didn't name them when asked to name Tour winners)

Outside of people I have met in a cycling specific context, I have met precisely one person I can have any conversation with about racing in any depth at all.

Fair enough. Here, I think it's the third biggest sport (based on TV time), and it's only because most Danes have an unhealthy relationship to handball that it isn't second.

I'm watching Faun Ardeche now with GB commentators. They have been saying Vansevenant is Bagioli for over 10 minutes and repeating it about every 30 seconds. There are probably about 5 riders you could recognize in the peloton even if they 'd be wearing a masked singer costume, just by their style. Vansevenant is one of them. Unreal. Bagioli is a sight for sore eyes in comparison.

I'm watching Faun Ardeche now with GB commentators. They have been saying Vansevenant is Bagioli for over 10 minutes and repeating it about every 30 seconds. There are probably about 5 riders you could recognize in the peloton even if they 'd be wearing a masked singer costume, just by their style. Vansevenant is one of them. Unreal. Bagioli is a sight for sore eyes in comparison.

Huh? Pretty sure they correctly identified him when when I watched it yesterday...

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was a grand old time 2014, nothing like seeing the collective disappointment of a million Yorkshiremen who've stood on a hill waiting for a glimpse of their hero, the 2014 Tour of California winner to arrive.

Agree that the 'first name terms' thing Blyth does is mute worthy, the Jermaine Jenas of cycling commentary.

That's the least of his problems for me. The high-pitched monkey noises and sharp intakes of breath are intensely irritating.

That's the least of his problems for me. The high-pitched monkey noises and sharp intakes of breath are intensely irritating.

Yeah, I cringe every time hear that sucking noise that multiple commentators use.
OTOH congrats are due to Marty McDonald. During the cross season, he set a world record with a season-long average of 11.78 "as well"s per minute.

TRENDING THREADS