• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 211 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Bobke and Chris Horner were on Peacock. I think Horner is lobbying more for a commentary position then just a studio assignment during the TDF. He's not a drag to listen to perhaps GCN can scoop him up? His You tube channel is not that bad either.
Yeah it had its moments and wasn’t too bad. It felt like they kept trying to jinx Evenepoel because they kept bringing up only thing stopping him is bad luck. Then Horner with the constant, WVA can bridge across if they get it to 25 seconds to then be dropped.

Reactions: Sandisfan
It was either McCrossen or King that said 'This is why it's called Hell of the North' when Balsamo went over a huge hole and did very well to stay up right. I mean, come on, at least research the history.

Im probably being unfair as I cant remember who exactly said it now, but its the kind of thing Id blame King for based on past efforts, as she isnt IMO that good at the commentating lark and tends to have a bunch of stock phrases she repeats over and over again during a race, like its a crib sheet of stuff shes determined to say about <insert rider> at any point often regardless if its relevant, so chucking in the "Hell of the North" randomly & inappropriately fits with that style, as opposed to Ant who would just chuck in some random obscure stat.

but it made me think listening to some other established Eurosport commentators this weekend on other sports, I guess they arent all, like the GCN lot, sat next to each other yet still, as you basically had these two very experienced commentators who basically couldnt stop talking over each other because they werent picking up the natural cues to let the other one speak, which was just really odd.

and made me think well are they going to go to the Giro/TdF/Vuelta in person again now, or what might happen ?

Im probably being unfair as I cant remember who exactly said it now, but its the kind of thing Id blame King for based on past efforts, as she isnt IMO that good at the commentating lark and tends to have a bunch of stock phrases she repeats over and over again during a race, like its a crib sheet of stuff shes determined to say about <insert rider> at any point often regardless if its relevant, so chucking in the "Hell of the North" randomly & inappropriately fits with that style, as opposed to Ant who would just chuck in some random obscure stat.

but it made me think listening to some other established Eurosport commentators this weekend on other sports, I guess they arent all, like the GCN lot, sat next to each other yet still, as you basically had these two very experienced commentators who basically couldnt stop talking over each other because they werent picking up the natural cues to let the other one speak, which was just really odd.

and made me think well are they going to go to the Giro/TdF/Vuelta in person again now, or what might happen ?
From what Orla said at the end of the Roubaix post race chat, it sounded like it the Giro was being presented from the GCN basement in Bath, UK. In past years before covid they have done the Giro from a studio in the UK and then the presenting for the Tour and Vuelta has been on site, meanwhile only the commentary for the Tour is done on site. That is slightly different when the likes of Ashley House and Jonathan Edwards presented things and all the grand tours were done live on site apart from the start in Israel.

Are you referring to LBL? If so, Hatch was in Mallorca or wherever it is he lives while Blythe/Lloyd were in the booth together in England.

Seconded. I actually love the tidbits of information that he provides as a recent pro-cyclist in the peleton. He also seems to know the riders very well and can talk about stages and races that they've done.

Thirded. His contemporary knowledge of riders and team setups more than negates a lack of emotion.

I much prefer this to the alternative which is "ooh look at G" or "crikey, look at the power of Ethan"

I would like to see Kirby and Roche together as I think Kirby would bring Nico out of his shell more and Nico would add substance to content

Love if they did the Vuelta together

I think that’d work well.
But is Roche going to be doing that much commentary? He was saying he was going to some races to work for Trinity Racing so he’s still going to be active in the sport at management or DS level. So we’ll still be stuck with the unemployable as Co-commentators for much of the season.

Roche is the anti-Kirby, you have to strain to hear him sometimes but what he says carries a lot of substance.

I like Stephens as well but he does have a habit of preceding every adjective with "very, very" - no small measures with this guy
He needs to drop most of his adverbs. Every time he says something, run it back in your head without the adverbs and compare the result.

Reactions: Ranagazoo
I used to be critical about Roche. But yesterday I was trapped with GCN for the first time in awhile, and I was anticipated what I had read about Blythe. And what I got was this calm, almost lazy voice with very little to no bias than what I was expected, and he actually knew his stuffs. I felt lucky.

I used to be critical about Roche. But yesterday I was trapped with GCN for the first time in awhile, and I was anticipated what I had read about Blythe. And what I got was this calm, almost lazy voice with very little to no bias than what I was expected, and he actually knew his stuffs. I felt lucky.
Despite my history with Roche I actually like his commentary. He's calm and knowledgeable. Like Magnus Bäckstedt he's something of a calming influence on whatever monkey sidekick he's paired with.

TRENDING THREADS