• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 216 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I think good commentary needs to assume a portion of the audience is new to the sport and welcome them with periodic explanations. The show broadcast time is long and viewers, new to the sport and the experienced, pop in and out so you can't limit the cycling lessons to just one segment.. I'm always surprised in these threads when a know it all fan gripes about it.
Can't think of any other sport where they feel the need to do this.....They don't think any new viewers have the nous to just Google it!!??

last km of a Kirby sprint is always on mute for me.
can't be doing with the hysterical stuttering, let's wait and sees, for the time beings, for goodness sakes, i'm afraids etc etc.
i could arrange a Kirby commentary, with these random phrases triggered on my sampler keyboard... and it would still sound just as (in)coherent.
And yet he's the only commentator they have who gets emotionally dialled into a race when something genuinely exciting or momentous happens ( as when Cavendish won his first sprint at last years Tour and Carlton was all choked up)...I love that kind of commentary (similar to Dave Harmon at the 2011 worlds).....Though I'm British, maybe it isn't the same if you're foreign ;-)

Reactions: Nick2413
This, even above Kirby being a total clown and Sideshow Rob trying to turn everything into a capital-D drama, is probably my biggest issue with GCN/Discosport, that they don't trust their audience, that they always assume their audience knows nothing and needs everything explained all the time.
Bizarre that you think it's acceptable to call anybody a total clown.

Bizarre that you think it's acceptable to call anybody a total clown.
A fair criticism. To all forum users suffering from coulrophobia I wholeheartedly apologise for the hurt I caused you when I pointed out that Kirby is a total clown. And I'll take this opportunity to apologise again for the hurt I have caused you by repeating that claim. In my defence: it's the truth, the man's a complete and utter clown.

Reactions: 42x16ss
Can't remember who he was talking about but 2 days ago Karsten Kroon was saying something along the lines of: "I'll be a better rider than he ever was..."
Which I
A. found very unproffesional
B. found completely uncalled for

and that's coming from a man with a questionable record in cycling...

Can someone tell me why Left cyclingtwitter is cryptically tweeting about something Robbie McEwen said y'day?
Apparently he used a slur of some sort?
I don't know if it's the same incident as the cryptic tweets you refer to, but a quick Twitter search tells me he said "fudge packers" either during or referring to Stage 10.

Edit to add: The GCN app didn't upload the Stage 10 live coverage until the next day and, even then, didn't include English commentary. At the time I thought a technical issue, but maybe the incident is the reason?

I don't know if it's the same incident as the cryptic tweets you refer to, but a quick Twitter search tells me he said "fudge packers" either during or referring to Stage 10.

Edit to add: The GCN app didn't upload the Stage 10 live coverage until the next day and, even then, didn't include English commentary. At the time I thought a technical issue, but maybe the incident is the reason?
Non-native speaker here: isn't fudge some sort of chewy white stuff?

Non-native speaker here: isn't fudge some sort of chewy white stuff?
It's a candy or sweet and can be different flavors. Chocolate is most common.
The term he used is slang for homosexual, at least in the US, and would be pretty strange to hear someone say it unironically on TV. I don't know if the term is used in Australia.
In any event, after reading the full context of exchange, I don't think McEwan meant anything by it and it was just an awkward choice of words. It would be like, if after Rasmussen left the 2007 Tour, commentators said that Robobank was "choking The Chicken" and somehow didn't realize that the phrase had another meaning. Kind of amusing but harmless.

And yet he's the only commentator they have who gets emotionally dialled into a race when something genuinely exciting or momentous happens ( as when Cavendish won his first sprint at last years Tour and Carlton was all choked up)...I love that kind of commentary (similar to Dave Harmon at the 2011 worlds).....Though I'm British, maybe it isn't the same if you're foreign ;-)

You're right, it isn't the same.
I am one who can tolerate Kirby's cluelessness and self-entertaining humour most of the time, it's his inability to curb his preference towards and against certain riders, teams, and even places that makes me prefer life without having listening to him.

RMcE said in response to Rob Hatch, after Rob H said that Sean "took me down a naughty alley" to a fudge shop, that the "fudgepackers were wasting their time" as RH had guzzled it so quickly - its a play on words. It's not meant as a homophobic insult in that context - its not like he commented on Guarnieri's rainbow wrist band and said "there's no fudgepackers in our sport!" Then again, it's not said to stand in solidarity with undervalued confectionary warehouse employees.

It was tone deaf to use that phrase anywhere near an open mic.

Last edited:
Reactions: 42x16ss and Lequack
I don’t really get what he was trying to say but it hardly seemed malicious in the way the phrase is generally used. A big nothing IMO.

The thing is there is no other usage of that word in the English language so it's strange that he brought it up. Ok, you could argue that someone who puts fudge in boxes is a fudge packer but that's rarely if ever used, e.g. not one is ever called a beans packers, a sweet packer.

TRENDING THREADS