• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 217 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The thing is there is no other usage of that word in the English language so it's strange that he brought it up. Ok, you could argue that someone who puts fudge in boxes is a fudge packer but that's rarely if ever used, e.g. not one is ever called a beans packers, a sweet packer.
I'm sure ''that was the joke'' he was trying to make. I'm sure Eddie Merphy would have had great success with it in his 1987 stand up comedy. Hell, even 10 years ago nobody would have batted an eye. But times are changing.

If i understand correctly what was said is somebody eat some candy. Literary and not implying something else by it. And then supposedly some section from LGBTQ2S+ got offended? And the person that eat candy after apologized for it?

Intense.

The thing was that GCN/ES seemed to be were well aware that it could be viewed as being offensive and therefore decided not to make the race replay available with English commentary, but still didn't comment on it before days later.

Now I doubt there was any bad intent on McEwen's part here, but it could have been put to bed faster.

If i understand correctly what was said is somebody eat some candy. Literary and not implying something else by it. And then supposedly some section from LGBTQ2S+ got offended? And the person that eat candy after apologized for it?

Intense.

He said that someone (Rob Hatch) ate candy so quickly it was waste of the candy packers time... except 'fudgepacker' is a well known derogatory term for gay men and their act of penetrative gay sex.

He clearly was amused by the use of the phrase even if it was out of context.

RMcE said in response to Rob Hatch, after Rob H said that Sean "took me down a naughty alley" to a fudge shop, that the "fudgepackers were wasting their time" as RH had guzzled it so quickly - its a play on words. It's not meant as a homophobic insult in that context - its not like he commented on Guarnieri's rainbow wrist band and said "there's no fudgepackers in our sport!" Then again, it's not said to stand in solidarity with undervalued confectionary warehouse employees.

It was tone deaf to use that phrase anywhere near an open mic.
That's the crux of the issue isn't it. This was very, very clumsy at best from McEwen.

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Let's get things straight:
  1. Are people calling for McEwan to be fired? Maybe, but I haven't seen it.
  2. He absolutely should not have said it and it has nothing to do with the "modern age."

Also, gmab about "Eddie Murphy" could have said it. Context matters. Even in the 1980's, someone doing live commenting of a sports event couldn't say the same things as a comedian doing standup. Ancient sportscasters didn't slip in derogatory slang terms for kicks back then either, at least where I grew up (the US).

Here's the thing, most young comedians (or actors, writers, etc.) take on office or service industry jobs to pay the rent. Not only do they understand that expectations of behavior are different in their performance-/art-world vs their office/service industry lives, they also figure out that you can be more relaxed when interacting informally with co-workers than dealing with customers.
If every 20 year old knows this, shouldn't 50-year old McEwan?

My take is McEwan probably got confused by the overly informal nature the GCN Giro production overall. I mean, the Breakaway is just 30 minutes of giggling and inside jokes. When GCN decision makers were deciding on the type of vibe they want, they somehow decided upon "Suburban teenagers hanging out in a basement on Saturday afternoon."

Reactions: HelloDolly
I'm not sure this term is known in its derogatory sense in Oz. I (an Aussie) certainly had never heard of it, though of course I can't speak for McK on that. I'll have to ask around to my Aussie friends.

The term is only derogatory and he wouldn’t have just dreamed up a new word.
I think @Kaptain Kool made a good point about the GCN production values. It’s all way too matey and backslapping so a faux pas was inevitable at some point.

"modern age."

I don't know about that. In my opinion this is about going backwards. In addition i very much doubt it's in favor of gay men. It's some sort of self-righteous mayhem.

Likely the time has come for straight, gay, black, white, men, woman, undefined ... to step together and start fighting it. As this doesn't work in our interest but against us all.

Reactions: tao bleeding heart
I don't know about that. In my opinion this is about going backwards. In addition i very much doubt it's in favor of gay men. It's some sort of self-righteous mayhem.

Likely the time has come for straight, gay, black, white, men, woman, undefined ... to step together and start fighting it. As this doesn't work in our interest but against us all.
I don't follow. Everyone one should band together so that The Breakaway can do more giggling? Why? It's become unwatchable.

Reactions: Unterlenkerfahrend
I don't follow. Everyone one should band together so that The Breakaway can do more giggling? Why? It's become unwatchable.

In whose exact interest it is to have people divided in such way. Internet mob? Witch-hunting sprees are in my opinion not all that modern approach. People behind it usually tend to have sinister motives.

All in all people that accept other people based on their color of the skin, gender and sexual orientation ... This are in my opinion reasonable people. And such people in my opinion have a duty to fight against the current state of things. Recognizing it for what it is and that is as unacceptable.

Hmm... I guess were referring to different things cuz I still don't follow. My post was about the watchability of the GCN broadcast. Constant giggling and the Chatty Friends in a Room concept is annoying. I don't know anything about abstract concepts like witch hunts, internet mobs or the rest of it.

TRENDING THREADS