• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 222 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So, who is doing best non-eurosport english commentary, if it's not Anthony McCrossan world feed?
Is it ITV live commentary?

I liked world feed, because they provide english commentary with ambient sound included (50%/50%)

Eurosport provide english commentary with minimal ambient audio (80%/20%)
and separate non-commentary ambient only audio feed on eurosport player (0%/100%)

Does itv have a properly mixed commentary+background audio?
I'd like to find good english commentary feed, that will allow me to hear background sound too, unlike eurosport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
So, who is doing best non-eurosport english commentary, if it's not Anthony McCrossan world feed?
Is it ITV live commentary?

I liked world feed, because they provide commentary with ambient sound included (50%/50%)

Eurosport provide english commentary with minimal ambient audio (80%/20%)
and separate commentary ambient audio feed on eurosport player (0%/100%)

Does itv have a properly mixed commentary+background audio?
is it possible to hear background sounds with commentary?

I doubt it; they'll bang on about Ineos as much as Adam Blythe.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Guys, Ambient Sound on the Eurosport Player is the way to go. Or put on the commentary of a country whose language you don't understand and which sounds more or less pleasant. Chances are, you will learn just as much as you would with the commentary in your native language.

And this. It's the solution proper I've already done number of times, great success. #hatchfreezone :D

Reactions: Carrick-On-Seine
Are they still doing this in last kms of the race when something happens?
Who is doing better job on commentary for the last hour of letour stage?
Normally I'd say SBS, but with McEwen now at Grenadiers Cycling Network and Australia having two genuine top 5 contenders the nationalism will get a bit rich there too. Especially with Ewan and Groenewegen mixing it up in the sprints and Storer stage hunting

I don't watch ITV because of the ads but on the few occasions I switched over for a break it didn't seem great.
@kingjr made a good suggestion on the above post.
Personally I think ITV do the best overall coverage, especially if you're watching the full stage (though a six hour broadcast will include about an hour of ads). Daniel Friebe is easily the best interviewer. However, Ned Boulting is really not great at calling sprints.

I'm really not a fan of his work, but Kirby is the best at commentating a sprint finish. And, to be really controversial, I think the Liggett-Sherwan duo in their prime were the greatest. The genuine excitement and urgency they brought to stages was terrific, whereas the likes of Rob Hatch often seem to create artificial drama. Above all was their chemistry, when they could bounce back and forth without messing a beat. Nowadays Eurosport have so many different pairings where the commentators don't seem comfortable with one another, and too many awkward pauses.

Personally I think ITV do the best overall coverage, especially if you're watching the full stage (though a six hour broadcast will include about an hour of ads). Daniel Friebe is easily the best interviewer. However, Ned Boulting is really not great at calling sprints.

I'm really not a fan of his work, but Kirby is the best at commentating a sprint finish. And, to be really controversial, I think the Liggett-Sherwan duo in their prime were the greatest. The genuine excitement and urgency they brought to stages was terrific, whereas the likes of Rob Hatch often seem to create artificial drama. Above all was their chemistry, when they could bounce back and forth without messing a beat. Nowadays Eurosport have so many different pairings where the commentators don't seem comfortable with one another, and too many awkward pauses.
Always been a big fan of the ITV coverage team. Boardman, Millar, Boulting, Imlach and Rendell all bring different things to the table. Whilst Phil and Paul were iconic and will always be associated with the early years of tour coverage in the UK ITV made the right decision to move on from them after the Armstrong associations.

Always been a big fan of the ITV coverage team. Boardman, Millar, Boulting, Imlach and Rendell all bring different things to the table. Whilst Phil and Paul were iconic and will always be associated with the early years of tour coverage in the UK ITV made the right decision to move on from them after the Armstrong associations.
I think if you can afford to have your own commentary team then it is an advantage because if you use the internatinal feed commentators like Phil and Paul were then you don't have the same control over the broadcast.

During the 2020 COVID shutdown, I watched a lot of older classics. It was amazing how different the World Cycling Productions and US TV productions (Versus/OLN) were for the same race despite both using the same commentary and race images. Versus/OLN had a bunch of explosion sound effects, unnecessary features and long commercial gaps while WCP was surprisingly enjoyable and informative.

I count myself fortunate in that I live in the UK but have access to french TV and also speak the language (more or less). You have to change channels once or twice a day and there are ads (though not too many) but there are decent pre and post-race shows which don't involve Adam Blythe or Robbie McEwen. Also, unsurprisingly, they aren't fixated on Ineos, though each time Pinot has the inevitable blow-up they are close to tears.

The commentators are ok and with Alaphilippe not racing Marion Rousse won't have to pretend to be impartial. The pictures also make more sense because France TV are host broadcaster so the producer can follow what the commentators are saying. One of the best aspects is that they have two moto pundits, one of whom is usually Thomas Voeckler, who are used much more frequently than Wiggins and certainly offer more insight.

I like the ITV team but the ads are very intrusive and they have also decided not to broadcast full stages this year. I will have GCN running too but simply can't listen to Kirby any more. I'm amazed the producers have kept him on as he seems to use commentary as a vehicle to promote his books, "Evenings with" and his bloody fan clubs.

But can you talk about that glass of wine you had in some small french gite with Sean Kelly about 7 years ago when the race last passed through the region?
It’s not being able to talk about the night out that’s key. It’s being able to continue to talk about it as Pog & Rig simultaneously abandon and Padun parachutes into the race and rides off the front.