• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 223 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Not Adam fu**ing Blythe again !!!
The man has absolutely nothing to add to cycling tactics or anything else and just talks bollocks
Coupled with Hatch or Kirby its not GCN for me..anyway it just self congratulatory club

I like Kelly though
I think Nicolas Roche is on the ASO world feed...at least he has a good slant on teams and tactics

Reactions: Sandisfan
Versus OLN ....Are they still around? Did you mean NBC?

Versus/OLN became NBCSN (NBC sports network) but when they got out of some sports and moved some to other NBC Cable chanels, affiliates, abandoned some they completely abandoned that Cable Channel. Which was kinda weird in that it was by channel number and placement in a good spot on the guide and channel lineup. I would have though they would have gone in another direction or sold that spot in the lineup.

So much nicer to listen to Jose Been and Dani Christmas in the Belgium Tour than Marty McDonald and Dani Rowe in the Giro.

I'm not sure about Jose Been. In among all the impressive linguistic gymnastics she does say such stupid things. For example, the other week she said BORA are just bringing a sprint team to the Tour and not the overall. Erm, okay.

I'm not sure about Jose Been. In among all the impressive linguistic gymnastics she does say such stupid things. For example, the other week she said BORA are just bringing a sprint team to the Tour and not the overall. Erm, okay.
Yeah, that was a weird comment but generally she is pretty good. I guess it may have been referring to having more focus on Sam Bennett, but it still wasn't accurate with the likes of Vlasov already marking it in their schedule a long time in advance.

So, my 8 year old loves the GCN and Eurosport coverag. He thinks Adam Blythe is a star and Sean Kelly is some kind of legend (that may have come through me). I also know that when we went cycling last weekend, he studiously followed my wheel and then attacked me before the car park, thereby winning the stage. He the told me he deliberately followed my wheel and that I am Daddy Tractor. you know where he got this from.

he got it from GCN/Eurosport. I thought he wasn’t paying attention, but he was. And he now knows how to follow his lead out guy and not hit the front until he absolutely needs to,

you know this.

I know this.

my son knows this.

the person watching cycling for the first time (let’s call him Killian Girmay) doesn’t know this.. now there is a passionate commentator who goes over the top and screams and shouts and makes the earth move. Killian likes it and tunes back In and maybe buys a bike,.with said bike he could ride to the pub or win Ghent-Wevelgem.

you see, thecommentators (Hatch, Kirby, Blythe etc) are watching the race with me, and not for me. I love their opinions and have my own . I dont want their opinion to be my mine, I like the debate {though as I get older I am both looking and explaining more like Brian Smith, And I like that too). I want their opinions to appeal to others, to make more people follow the sport. To make the sport more popular. To keep it on TV.

said son asked what the Tour de France was like when I was his age. I told him it was two minutes every Saturday, and no one told us what was really happening. So we didn’t ask for more and they didnt feel the need to show us - apart from Fignon losing his bottom bracket in the Blois -Chaville because that was funny if you aren’t called Fignon.

I love GCN. I love all the crew, i love Kirkby, and Orlando, and Robbie, and Blythe and (especially) Lloyd because they love what they do. Don’t. E angry with them because you also understand the sport, be grateful that they make your friends understand that what we enjoy isn’t just a Lycra fetish.

Easily my favourite commentator on GCN. She does make some mistakes, but then they all do, a lot. Hers are nearly always about the WT and so perhaps more noticeable? Her knowledge of lower level teams and riders is unmatched. Except perhaps by Jez Cox, who though I don't like listening to as much, is very good at describing tactics and seems to have a lot of expertise on lower level races.

Reactions: davidsonduke
So, my 8 year old loves the GCN and Eurosport coverag. He thinks Adam Blythe is a star and Sean Kelly is some kind of legend (that may have come through me). I also know that when we went cycling last weekend, he studiously followed my wheel and then attacked me before the car park, thereby winning the stage. He the told me he deliberately followed my wheel and that I am Daddy Tractor. you know where he got this from.

he got it from GCN/Eurosport. I thought he wasn’t paying attention, but he was. And he now knows how to follow his lead out guy and not hit the front until he absolutely needs to,

you know this.

I know this.

my son knows this.

the person watching cycling for the first time (let’s call him Killian Girmay) doesn’t know this.. now there is a passionate commentator who goes over the top and screams and shouts and makes the earth move. Killian likes it and tunes back In and maybe buys a bike,.with said bike he could ride to the pub or win Ghent-Wevelgem.

you see, thecommentators (Hatch, Kirby, Blythe etc) are watching the race with me, and not for me. I love their opinions and have my own . I dont want their opinion to be my mine, I like the debate {though as I get older I am both looking and explaining more like Brian Smith, And I like that too). I want their opinions to appeal to others, to make more people follow the sport. To make the sport more popular. To keep it on TV.

said son asked what the Tour de France was like when I was his age. I told him it was two minutes every Saturday, and no one told us what was really happening. So we didn’t ask for more and they didnt feel the need to show us - apart from Fignon losing his bottom bracket in the Blois -Chaville because that was funny if you aren’t called Fignon.

I love GCN. I love all the crew, i love Kirkby, and Orlando, and Robbie, and Blythe and (especially) Lloyd because they love what they do. Don’t. E angry with them because you also understand the sport, be grateful that they make your friends understand that what we enjoy isn’t just a Lycra fetish.
Daddy Tractor. That’s lovely and so astute. Nice post.

I've made the calculation that Blythe will annoy me from Stage 1.

It'll start hurting for real in stage 2.:

There's Tom Pidcock moving up

And so on.

Just be thankful Ben Turner isn't riding.

Glad your 8 year old kid likes cycling and you can like whomever you wish ...

But GCN dont make my ' friends understand' anything ? Other comms like phil liggett and paul sherwen were so much better at explaining the basics as are ITV4...in fact most other comms are better at explaining the sport in my opinion
Your post suggests by not liking some GCN I am part of some lycra fetish ....pleeeeaaassssseeeeeee how condescending

Eurosport desperately needs a so-commentator who rode GC in the 2000's/2010's, aka someone who is closer to modern cycling. I don't mean Bradley Wiggins either.

I like Magnus Bäckstedt when he's on, but 'with all due respect' to Sean Kelly I don't think he's well placed at all to talk about GC battles in modern GT's. Cycling has changed so much since his time, it's barely the same sport.

In regards to the Tour. This race is broadcasted on our national TV for years and the commentary is in my opinion good. Still today they will start broadcasting after Rogla will already finish. Likely they didn't expect for the start list to change.

Anyway. Will gratefully watch it on Eurosport.

That's fine, but there is a balance to be struck between "Top Gear on pushbikes" and "dry analysis". The pundits chosen have to have both the knowledge to impart and the ability to impart that knowledge in an accessible manner - it's no good being an absolutely elite competitor with the knowledge to impart if you're not capable of imparting that knowledge to the audience in the right way, but it's no good being an engaging, accessible host if you don't have any actual knowledge. Fans need to be introduced to the sport, but they then need to have something within the presentation to enable them to develop that knowledge base and come to grips with the cast of thousands, get to know riders beyond the 5-10 riders Adam Blythe cares about, and learn not just to have a vague interest in the sport but come to love it, otherwise you just breed the equivalent of football where all the kids learn to follow the same 5-6 top teams that are always on TV and the divide between rich and poor becomes absolute.

I actually think for a relatively new starter in commentary, McEwen is pretty good on that front, or at least has been on the occasions I've heard him. Nicolas Roche was the best new guy they've brought in for when it came to discussion of what is actually happening (as opposed to what they'd like to be happening) and understanding and reading the race, but Stephens had to work hard to get that information out of him as Nico seemed a bit less comfortable in front of the live mic than a more experienced commentator would. I think he'll be good in time. Somebody like Magnus Bäckstedt shows the best of both worlds from the current GCN/ES crop. Even the likes of Kelly have opened up considerably compared to the early days when he would miss important action because he was still giving an 80-clause run-on answer to a question Harmon asked him about cranks to kill some dead time. The pundits and commentators having opinions is fine as long as they remain fundamentally neutral (the cheerleading and namedropping is the most infuriating thing, it's why I hate Blythe as a commentator so much, since 80% of his commentary comprises of telling you either where his mates are and how good his mates are, or telling you who he is mates with) when they are broadcasting a de facto international stream. The G in GCN is supposed to stand for 'Global', not 'Grenadiers'.
That's fine at, like, the Tour de France, where there is a larger casual audience. I'm fine with a simplified production for that and more going through the basics. I don't need Phil 'n' Paul telling me about big diesel engines and little petrol engines for the 10000th time, but I know there are some people watching who do, and I'd hate for them to be run off by impenetrable deep dive analysis, but then again many of them may be run off by six hours of broadcasting of a flat stage with the break on a tight leash as opposed to the final hour or two as was shown as recently as a decade ago, as the commentators have got to say something to fill that time.

However, when you're watching the GP de Denain or the Tour of Norway or the Giro dell'Appennino on a bonus stream, it's probably fair to say that you haven't chanced upon that coverage when flicking channels but have actively sought it out, so it's infuriating to have everything spelled out for beginners there or have Adam Blythe talking about the same rider for three hours because he doesn't know anything about any of the other riders in the race. Marty MacDonald has his flaws for certain, and his fear of even the briefest moment of silence is one of them, and the 'reading out a breakaway rider's results from PCS' technique has been criticised somewhat, but you know what, at least he's trying to know something about the less well-known riders, rather than mentioning them by their team name and then going back to talking about Geraint Thomas even if he isn't in the race as seems to happen all too often on GCN.

Fifteen years ago, you'd have Phil & Paul doing the international feed which would be broadcast on the main channels in the English-speaking world, but you'd also have Eurosport International broadcasting the same feed but with (at the time) Harmon and Kelly with Stephen Roche in the studio and Carlton via link-up from Paris, which would give you the choice between a commentary which would give some insight but be accessible to beginners, or one which offers more depth, but assumes a level of knowledge of the sport from its audience; a new or lapsed fan would gain more insight from watching the international syndicated feed, while somebody who has been watching the sport for years would get more from the Eurosport feed.

Last edited:
Eurosport desperately needs a so-commentator who rode GC in the 2000's/2010's, aka someone who is closer to modern cycling. I don't mean Bradley Wiggins either.

I like Magnus Bäckstedt when he's on, but 'with all due respect' to Sean Kelly I don't think he's well placed at all to talk about GC battles in modern GT's. Cycling has changed so much since his time, it's barely the same sport.
Agreed, although the marginalisation of Kelly in favour of riders with less gravitas is one of the biggest concerns about the current crop of commentators - having too many riders from the same circle of teammates and buddies runs the risk of it becoming too informal, too matey and not professional enough. People like Lloyd and Bäckstedt are experienced enough to know when to take their subjectivity glasses off and get serious about the race.

The problem is that they need Anglophones, and with Britain being a relatively recent developer in terms of big contenders, most of the British riders who could fill that role are still active (Thomas, Froome, Yates, Yates, Carthy). Of those I think Hugh Carthy would be really good when he's retired, Froome gives me the impression he'd be too dry, and I absolutely dread Geraint Thomas going on GCN, it will become unbearable with his "I'm one of the lads I am!" style and everybody else fawning over "G". They already have Wiggins, and everybody else they could reasonably have are just as disconnected from the modern GC races as Kelly, such as Boardman and Philippa York.

But if you look at candidates from other English speaking countries, you run into problems as well. Most of the American GC riders of that era come with doping history that is likely to impact their suitability to the image GCN wants to present. Lance is a no-no for that reason, Levi is boring, and Horner has burned too many bridges. A Tejay van Garderen or an Andrew Talansky is the best you can hope for there, as it doesn't look like somebody like Christian Vande Velde is a likely candidate otherwise he'd have been involved by now given his contacts with Millar, Wiggins and the like. Ryder Hesjedal is not American but he falls into the same category, being part of that Vaughters club of "ex-dopers done good" that come with baggage. For the Aussies, Cadel Evans would be the obvious choice from a credentials point of view but I've never got the impression he'd be comfortable with a commentary gig, Mick Rogers is both boring and tainted, and Richie Porte is still active for the short term at least. While I'd love to have Nicole Cooke on, Emma Pooley back on or similar, their eras came before the WWT expansion and so while they have solid experience as GC riders, the racing will not have been along similar lines to GC racing in men's GTs in the 2000s/10s and so the issue is similar to that you raise with Kelly.

Potentially the best candidate they would have therefore is Nico Roche, who is already on the team. He has been both a domestique and a GC leader for teams of varying sizes until pretty recently, his best GC finish is good, he stagehunted too, he wasn't a one-off fluke of a high GC like Phil Deignan, and he has shown good insight on his commentary gigs thus far. However, he does have to work on being at ease with the microphone which will hopefully come in time. This year's Tour is probably too soon for him, but by next year if he shows improvement he will be infinitely better than the likes of Blythe when it comes to interpreting the racing at the sharp end for yellow, polka dots and white, and somebody like McEwen is better equipped to do the role of analysing the sprint stuff than Blythe and comes with greater gravitas due to his career record too.