• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 225 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Well thats pretty bad.
Daniel Friebe doing some really great interviews and background clips on ITV

ITV4s highlights program is the best out there

And its got Gary Imlach's flippant condescending humour....who could ask for more ?
Friebe's interviews are great which I guess is because he has a more journalistic background than someone like Eisel or Stephens and has also been doing it for years.
gripes about 'The Cube'...

Stop shouting & laughing over each other so much ... just descends into an unintelligible noise.
Orla is the main culprit, perhaps?

Stop showing the photofinish/heli-shots of the sprint only on the 'in-perspective' studio wall monitors, while discussing them.
We need to see them full-screen, and for an adequate time.
Not a fan of the Cube. While I like some of the virtual reality stuff they do in it, I feel the studio they've used for the other races in Bath is much better. There again, being on the ground would be even better.

Never seen the cube ...stopped watching the breakaway after Giro ...just in jokes and talking over each other

ITV4 analysis is better esp in highlight program and they and the cycling podcast have great behind the scenes interviews, access and intelligence

Favourite comms if I could have any are Sean Kelly with Kennan, Daniel Llyod ,and Robbie McEwan popping in and out for the quiet times

In studio Gary Imlach saying subtle derogatory stuff while C Horner ans Nicolas Roche tussle about tactics with Sean Kelly getting the final word. Brain Smith with some sprint stop start analysis .

Instead I jump back and forward between them all

Sean Kelly needs to go easy on the "poor bike handler" label he assigns certain riders (Roglic, Thomas etc.).

When a peloton is charging into a sprint or going full gas on narrow roads, it's a lottery. Some riders are also smaller, lighter & get mauled way easier.

I find the whole "this rider is from cross so he's a great bike handler" or "this rider is a better bike handler because he went through all the youth categories" argument completely misplaced with regards to at least 90% of the crashes we witness in modern cycling.

It's a meat grinder out there.
It's because today they've lost their brains, in a world in which performace for the sake of business has molded itself on the minds of youth in a way as never before (with the promise of fame and money as the reward, but not your life). Even death seems preferable to non-performance today. They have always pushed the limits, but now it's pushing the limits of limits. Once upon a time you touched the breaks to stay upright, now they defy the laws of physics to try and earn a few points for WT standing of the team. Pure madness.

Last edited:
Sean Kelly needs to go easy on the "poor bike handler" label he assigns certain riders (Roglic, Thomas etc.).

When a peloton is charging into a sprint or going full gas on narrow roads, it's a lottery. Some riders are also smaller, lighter & get mauled way easier.

I find the whole "this rider is from cross so he's a great bike handler" or "this rider is a better bike handler because he went through all the youth categories" argument completely misplaced with regards to at least 90% of the crashes we witness in modern cycling.

It's a meat grinder out there.

I agree - I hate the phrase “bike handling skills”. It’s so often a lazy replacement for the real root cause of an incident or issue involving a pro rider, such as inattentiveness, poor positioning, or just simple bad luck. But all of these are more interesting to discuss than simply “he hasn’t ridden around a muddy field so of course he falls over a lot” and it frustrates me that commentators simply Bill it down to “bike handling skills”

Never seen the cube ...stopped watching the breakaway after Giro ...just in jokes and talking over each other

ITV4 analysis is better esp in highlight program and they and the cycling podcast have great behind the scenes interviews, access and intelligence

Favourite comms if I could have any are Sean Kelly with Kennan, Daniel Llyod ,and Robbie McEwan popping in and out for the quiet times

In studio Gary Imlach saying subtle derogatory stuff while C Horner ans Nicolas Roche tussle about tactics with Sean Kelly getting the final word. Brain Smith with some sprint stop start analysis .

Instead I jump back and forward between them all
I loved the breakaway during the Giro and miss it during the tour (I haven’t seen the cube, therefore). In the States, the best pre-/post-game show in any sport is The NBA on TNT with Charles Barkley, Shaw, and Kenny Smith. It is fun, unpredictable, sometimes insightful, and incredibly popular. The GCN vibe is not identical, but there are some similarities. The dancing videos, the snarky Twitter presence, etc. is all part of the vibe—and I like it. From what I can see from over here, it seems I’m not alone.

I loved the breakaway during the Giro and miss it during the tour (I haven’t seen the cube, therefore). In the States, the best pre-/post-game show in any sport is The NBA on TNT with Charles Barkley, Shaw, and Kenny Smith. It is fun, unpredictable, sometimes insightful, and incredibly popular. The GCN vibe is not identical, but there are some similarities. The dancing videos, the snarky Twitter presence, etc. is all part of the vibe—and I like it. From what I can see from over here, it seems I’m not alone.
McEwan and Lloyd aren't quite the cycling equivalent of Charles Barkley and Shaq.

TRENDING THREADS