• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 227 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I was promised that Bernie Eisel would become DS at Bora this season. Why is he still poluting the airwaves with his overlong interview questions and sleep-inducing post-stage analyses??
He is a ds with Bora. I think he was in the car in a few races earlier in the year, but the team probably chose some more experienced ds than someone who's just started on the job for the Tour.

I have been following the tour since 1977 both reading and in the old days watching where you could. I have always been a fan of ITV4 coverage until 2021 when I took out a GCN+ subscription.

Is it just me or has Ned Boulting started to sound like a star-struck wannabe when paired with David Millar? I am genuinely beginning to find him like a little puppet that keeps congratulating David Millar (rather like that mini David Steel character from the original Spitting Image series) in short bl00dy irritating, Sort it out Ned or you are I am sure, going to be looking for another job there is plenty of good experienced talent going to be looking for commentating positions in the next few years mate.

Sir Chris Boardman nothing to say but class as ever,

I am, however, finding the GCN+ Coverage a must-watch, Ad free cycling coverage is worth every single penny, Hands up I was wrong, Orla Chennaoui IS a genuine asset to the shows, and apart from his dress sense, which depending upon the day is either alarming or hysterical (which does seem to have been wound in by the producers recently) Adam Blyth is developing into an exciting presenter,

Dan Lloyd from GCN is always worth listening to, and the Aussie Robbie McEwen is slightly abrasive but always a good listen,
Sir Bradley nothing more to say! Mad as a box of Frogs describes Matt Stephens perfectly but I love his input, Sean Kelly a man of many achievements even if he does get tongue-tied he is worth listening to, Brian Smith always seems slightly sarcastic and lacking in humour but man does he know his stuff, I like Carlton Kirby he is a bit like the late great Murray Walker lots of errors but very endearing, Rob Hatch love his style and knowledge.

Hannah Walker I know she was very mechanical at first but she is learning and has amazing enthusiasm and she is an absolute sausage!!!

We are very spoiled for good quality cycling coverage in the UK

Last edited:
Jul 15, 2022
Visit site
Agree with the above about GCN. A great channel to watch the racing on. Just one thing that it bothering me is the tendency to hype and over exaggerate the TDF stages. One of the reasons I stopped watching premier football on Sky a decade ago was the ridiculous "WATFORD v BURNLEY - A MATCH OF THE GREATEST OF STAKES KNOWN TO SPORT....until the final whistle and then the same for the next match etc. I quite like the ebb and flow of a grand tour and the quiet days should be a time to absorb the beauty of the countryside with interesting asides of culture, geography and history. With 4 hours odd of live footage there should be space for this, but I have noticed that Hatch, McEwen and Blythe have little in the way of hinterland and just end up repeating the times to the breakaway and then talking about skinsuits or gearing whilst a place like the fortress of Sedan goes entirely unmentioned. It might be me but I've noticed that J-H Bass is getting a bit exasperated in not being called upon more and had to butt in so that the main square in Charleville was given a mention the other day.

A lot of people have a go at Kirby but he is ideal for colouring a stage.

Rob Hatch is fascinated by European languages and loves the phonemes that make them up.

I believe he has copied the Oi yoi yoi noise from exclamations in Flemish commentary. Sometimes he goes the full hog and adds "Jongens, jongens, jongens".
Yes, this is a Michel Wuyts catchphrase from Sporza. It's meant to be "oei-oei-oei", something I learned when picking up online streams and clips from youtube to watch the semi-classics and minor one-day races back in the late 2000s.

Reactions: Sandisfan
British Eurosport commentary pairings season 2022 (men's elite):

(WT=World Tour; PS=Pro Series, ET=Europe Tour, AT=Asia Tour)

Australian National Championships: host broadcaster package
ET: Challenge Mallorca: Trofeo Calvia (highlights on 26/1): Kirby (solo)
ET: Challenge Mallorca: Trofeo Alcúdia - Port d'Alcúdia (highlights on 27/1): Kirby (solo)
ET: Challenge Mallorca: Trofeo Serra de Tramuntana (highlights on 28/1): Kirby (solo)
ET: Challenge Mallorca: Trofeo Pollença - Port d'Andratx (highlights on 29/1): Kirby (solo)
ET: Challenge Mallorca: Trofeo Playa de Palma - Palma (highlights on 30/1): Kirby (solo)
ET: Grand Prix Cycliste de Marseille La Marseillaise (live on 30/1): Been & Stephens
AT: Saudi Tour (live from 1/2): Cox & Smith
PS: Volta a la Comunitat Valenciana (live from 2/2): Stephens & Backstedt
PS: Tour de Provence (live from 10/2): Stephens & Blythe
ET: Vuelta Ciclista a la Region de Murcia Costa Calida (live 12/2): Been & Smith
PS: Clasica de Almeria (live on 13/2): Been & Smith
ET: Jaén Paraiso Interior (live on 14/2): Been & Smith
PS: Vuelta a Andalusia (live from 16/2): Cox & Smith
PS: Volta ao Algarve (live from 16/2): Lloyd & Blythe
ET: Tour des Alpes Maritimes et du Var (live from 18/2): Been & Stephens
WT: UAE Tour (live from 20/2): Kirby & Blythe (stages 1&2), Backstedt (stage 3-7)
PS: Tour of Oman (review on 21/2): Ant McCrossan (host broadcaster package)
ET: Gran Camiño (live from 24/2): Cox (stages 1, 2 & 4), Kirby (stage 3) & Smith
WT: Omloop Het Nieuwsblad Elite (live on 26/2): Lloyd & Blythe (with Marty MacDonald)
PS: Faun-Ardèche Classic (live on 26/2): Cox & Conor Dunne
PS: Kuurne - Bruxelles - Kuurne (live on 27/2): Hatch & Blythe
PS: Drôme Classic (live on 27/2): Hannah Walker & Dunne
ET: Le Samyn (live on 1/3): Been & Backstedt
WT: Strade Bianche (live on 5/3): Hatch, Blythe & Lloyd
WT: Paris-Nice (live from 6/3): Hatch & Kelly
ET: Grote Prijs Jean-Pierre Monseré (live 6/3): Cox & Backstedt
WT: Tirreno-Adriatico (live from 7/3): Kirby, Lloyd & Robbie McEwen
ET: Albert Achterhes Profronde van Drenthe (live on 15/3): Been & Walker
PS: Milano - Torino (live on 16/3): Hatch & Smith
PS: Danilith Nokere Koerse (live on 16/3): Been & Backstedt
PS: Grand Prix de Denain - Porte du Hainaut (live on 17/3) Been & Backstedt
PS: Bredene Koksijde Classic (live on 18/3): Been & Backstedt
WT: Milano-Sanremo (live on 19/3): Kirby, Hatch, Lloyd, McEwan & Blythe
ET: Classic Loire Atlantique (live on 20/3): Been & Smith
WT: Volta Ciclista a Catalunya (live from 21/3): Kirby & Smith
WT: Minerva Classic Brugge-De Panne (live on 23/3): Cox & Blythe
WT: E3 Saxo Bank Classic (live on 25/3): Lloyd & McEwan
WT: Gent-Wevelgem in Flanders Fields (live on 27/3): Cox & Blythe
ET: La Roue Tourangelle Centre Val de Loire - Trophée Groupama Paris Val de Loire (live on 27/3): Stephens & Dunne
WT: Dwars door Vlaanderen - A travers la Flandre (live on 30/3): Lloyd & Blythe
PS: Gran Premio Miguel Indurain (live on 2/4): Cox & Smith
ET: Volta Limburg Classic (live on 2/4): Been & Backstedt
WT: Ronde van Vlaanderen - Tour des Flandres (live on 3/4): Kirby, Lloyd, McEwan, Blythe
WT: Itzulia Basque Country (live from 4/4): Stephens & N. Roche
PS: Scheldeprijs (live on 6/4): Kirby & Backstedt
WT: Amstel Gold Race (live on 10/4): Kirby & Blythe
PS: Presidential Cycling Tour of Türkiye (live from 10/4): Cox (stage 1, 5, 7&8), Kirby (stage 2-4, 6) & Smith
ET: Giro di Sicilia - Tour of Sicily (live from 11/4): Been & Backstedt
PS: De Brabantse Pijl - La Flèche Brabançonne: (live on 13/4): Cox & Blythe
WT: Paris-Roubaix (live on 17/4): Hatch, Lloyd, Backstedt and Blythe
PS: Tour of the Alps (live from 18/4): Hatch & Blythe
WT: La Flèche Wallonne (live on 20/4): Cox & Stephens
WT: Liège-Bastogne-Liège (live on 24/4): Hatch, Blythe & Lloyd
WT: Tour de Romandie (live from 26/4): Stephens & Roche
ET: International Tour of Hellas (highlights from 27/4): Quigley (solo)
WT: Eschborn-Frankfurt (live on 1/5): Cox & Backstedt
PS: 4 Jours de Dunkerque / Grand Prix des Hauts de France (live from 3/5): Kirby & Smith
WT: Giro d'Italia (live from 6/5): Hatch, Lloyd,Kelly, McEwan & Blythe
ET: Tour de Hongrie (live from 11/5): Kirby & Smith
PS: Grand Prix du Morbihan (live on 14/5): Been & Dunne
PS: Tro-Bro Léon (live on 15/5): Cox & Backstedt
ET: Veenendaal-Veenendaal Classic (live on 21/5): Kirby & Smith
ET: Tour du Finistère (live on 21/5): Cox & Backstedt
ET: Antwerp Port Epic / Sels Trophy (live on 22/5): Kirby & Smith
PS: Tour of Norway (live from 24/5): Kirby & Smith
PS: Boucles de la Mayenne - Crédit Mutuel (live from 26/5): Cox & Dani Christmas
ET: Circuit de Wallonie (live on 26/5): MacDonald & Dunne
ET: Grote Prijs Marcel Kint (live on 29/5): Harry Downdey & Dunne
ET: Mercan'Tour Classic Alpes-Maritimes (live on 31/5): Been & Backstedt
WT: Critérium du Dauphiné (live from 5/6): Kirby & Smith
PS: Brussels Cycling Classic (live on 5/6): Cox & Backstedt
ET: Ronde van Limburg (live on 6/6): Cox & Stephens
PS: ZLM Tour (live from 8/6): Cox & Stephens
ET: Grosser Preis des Kantons Aargau (live on 10/6): Hatch & Backstedt
PS: Dwars door het Hageland (live on 11/6): Been & Backstedt
WT: Tour de Suisse (live from 12/6): Hatch & Backstedt
ET: Elfstedenronde Brugge (live on 12/6): Been & Dunne
PS: Tour of Slovenia (live from 15/6): Kirby & Walker
PS: Baloise Belgium Tour (live from 15/6): Been & Stephens
ET: La Route d'Occitanie - La Dépêche du Midi (live from 16/6): Cox & McEwan
NC: French National TT Championship (live on 23/6): Kirby & Hutchinson
NC: French National Road Championship (live on 26/6): Kirby & Smith
NC: Spanish National Road Championship (live on 26/6): Hatch (solo)
NC: British National Road Championship (live on 26/6): Stephens & Walker
WT: Tour de France (live from 1/7): Kirby, Hatch, Lloyd & Blythe, Kelly, McEwan with Harris Bass
PS: Ethias-Tour de Wallonie (live from 26/7): Cox & Smith (stages 4 and 5 only)
WT: Donostia San Sebastian Klasikoa (live on 30/7): Cox & Smith
PS: Vuelta a Burgos (live from 2/8): Hatch & Smith
ET: Tour of Leuven - Memorial Jef Scherens (live on 7/8): Hatch & Smith
ET: Tour de l'Ain (live from 9/8): Been & Walker
PS: Circuit Franco-Belge (live on 10/8): tbc
PS: Arctic Race of Norway (live from 11/8): Cox & Smith
CC: European Championships Road Race (live on 14/8): Stephens & York
PS: Tour of Denmark (live from 16/8): Stephens & Smith
ET: Tour du Limousin (live from 16/8): Cox & Backstedt
CC: European Championships Time Trial (live on 17/8): MacDonald &??
WT: La Vuelta ciclista a España (live from 19/8): tbc

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan
tourdefrancefemmeaveczwift feels 2nd rate, coz they have the 2nd rate commentary team.
IF they had CK & Hatchling - as much as they do my head in - it would at least give an impression of being some kind of a TdF homme continuation.
I don't care if Marty McListreader knows all the riders, since i mute the nasal-monotone bore anyway.

Last edited: