• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 232 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
So with the likes of Jose Been, Jens Dekker, and to a lesser extent (possibly) Magnus Backstedt doing commentary this year on British Eurosport/GCN, as well as Nicolas Roche doing something with french television during the TdF, it got me thinking. What/Are there any other cycling commentators (main or co) that have done so in a language that isn't their native language?

Marcel Kittel has been doing some work on Dutch TV during the Tour.

Im hoping Rob Hatch does some more of the CX season this winter, he really sets the sense of occasion and puts across some excitement for watching the race.

The usual guy sounds like he is just watching the local club CX race around the school playing field, and that he would like to be anywhere else.

Reactions: lemon cheese cake
Im hoping Rob Hatch does some more of the CX season this winter, he really sets the sense of occasion and puts across some excitement for watching the race.

The usual guy sounds like he is just watching the local club CX race around the school playing field, and that he would like to be anywhere else.
I agree. While Hatch is not the favourite of quite a few on this forum, I feel he gives a better commentary than Marty Macdonald's almost script like presentation. Though i'd also say while i'm not the biggest fan of Jez Cox, I still feel he does a better job than Macdonald.

Reactions: Abedfo
Damn. Apparently, Brian Holm had wanted to start aa a rider's agent after which Eurosport had informed him that he couldn't be a commentator for them as long as he was an agent.

He ended up deciding not embarking on his agency career.

I wonder what the big problem would be there, considering that he was allowed to work for them while he was a sporting director.

Also a little interesting to see that he couldn't do whatever he wanted - I thought he was the de facto Danish Eurosport Cycling boss.

I am not sure what to do. Love the ES Player being on Apple TV and Firestick. Also have ES through Sky box and for some reason also a GCN sub. But Discovery+ is more expensive than ES Player (I think). And GCN is handy. Sky box only useful if I can access my TV (not easy!)

Decisions decisions... :confused2:

I am not sure what to do. Love the ES Player being on Apple TV and Firestick. Also have ES through Sky box and for some reason also a GCN sub. But Discovery+ is more expensive than ES Player (I think). And GCN is handy. Sky box only useful if I can access my TV (not easy!)

Decisions decisions... :confused2:
Same as you, ES through Sky box and GCN.
I gave up on player a few years ago when there were a series of problems with it.
I like GCN due to always being available and its extensive coverage, although I rarely use it during the summer due to time restraints. It comes into it's own for me with the cross coverage.
A lot will depend on what happens next year with mountain biking moving over from Red Bull and where it all fits in.

Reactions: Axel Hangleck
Have they sent messages out to their subscribers? Don't remember seeing anything doing the European CX Championships...

They have sent out the message, I've gotten like 3 or 4. But not much in changing in reality though, it's just that now the videos will be available on eurosport.com directly. You can already login with your existing user/pass and watch the live channels same as before. I'm guessing it's the same as with the app. So it's more of a rebrand than anything else.

Reactions: RedheadDane
A lot will depend on what happens next year with mountain biking moving over from Red Bull and where it all fits in.

And it's gone all quiet in that regard; I was hoping they'd have announced a bit more of their plans by now. And, they have to get the commentary teams right, which is going to be a problem as it's no longer Rob Warner. A poisoned chalice if ever there was one.

Reactions: Wyndbrook
They have sent out the message, I've gotten like 3 or 4. But not much in changing in reality though, it's just that now the videos will be available on eurosport.com directly. You can already login with your existing user/pass and watch the live channels same as before. I'm guessing it's the same as with the app. So it's more of a rebrand than anything else.

As i understood it, its only moving to the website until subscriptions expire?

I was a bit annoyed. I could have carried on with the website but I just stopped my subscription and got gcn for the same price. Seemed like the right time.
Do I lose out on other sports? Yes. Do I regularly watch other sports? No. But did I at least want the option to watch other sports in case there was something to watch? Yes.

Still, I suppose I get to watch gcn 'original documentaries' as a replacement for other sports.
Oh and I have a Roku TV, which didn't have a player app, but did have a discovery + app (but I'm not going to spend double for that).

I wonder if gcn can finally sort out an app because they've been saying publicly for 2 years that they are 'working on it' and 'next on the list'. I'll be patient and carry on with the slightly annoying Chromecast until it arrives. (Hopefully)

Reactions: Sandisfan
I was going to change from GCN to Eurosport this season as I'd prefer the option of watching giant slalom now and again to GCN documentaries as very few of those are about racing, There's a £20 (or maybe £30) difference between GCN and Discovery+ and I don't think I'd watch £20's worth of downhill skiing in a season so I'll probably stick with GCN.

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS