• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Eurosport commentary

Page 233 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Discovery+ including sports now free to SkyQ and Glass customers. They added the sports in time for the Australian Open. Free for as long as you subscribe to Sky apparently.

once set up you can watch with your account using the app on Sky and also the mobile app.

Last edited:
So, question for those of us in Europe who were formerly Eurosport Player subscribers: Here in France we have been automatically switched over to Eurosport.fr, but with greatly reduced cycling coverage. (Eurosport was already cutting back last year...).

What's my best value for cycling coverage? GCN only? (If I understand correctly, what I can get on Eurosport.fr is the same as Discovery plus -- but I may not be correct.) I prefer streaming services that I can watch on my ipad while I use a trainer....

Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Sandisfan
I was going to change from GCN to Eurosport this season as I'd prefer the option of watching giant slalom now and again to GCN documentaries as very few of those are about racing, There's a £20 (or maybe £30) difference between GCN and Discovery+ and I don't think I'd watch £20's worth of downhill skiing in a season so I'll probably stick with GCN.

I still don't see a streaming alternative for snow sports to Eurosport at this moment. I say "at this moment" because I have concerns about what happens when my current ES subscription plan runs out. I worry that the FIS will try to sell some kind of "deluxe" package.
I definitely get my moneys worth on ES as I love alpine skiing, but as noted above the cycling coverage I get now has probably been halved, especially on CX, compared to prevoius years.

I'm in the UK and have Eurosport through a basic sky subscription, I also have GCN.
Eurosport coverage is good at times, then you get thrown under the bus when other sports get priority.
Every cross race was covered over the Christmas/ new year period, now cross has been abandoned and Australian tennis open gets full coverage.
Unclear as to best option going forward, especially with mountain biking changing from Red Bull. Wait and see I think.

I'm in the UK and have Eurosport through a basic sky subscription, I also have GCN.
Eurosport coverage is good at times, then you get thrown under the bus when other sports get priority.
Every cross race was covered over the Christmas/ new year period, now cross has been abandoned and Australian tennis open gets full coverage.
Unclear as to best option going forward, especially with mountain biking changing from Red Bull. Wait and see I think.
I'm same as you except that I don't (yet) have a GCN subscription. Since you have them both, do you know how close to "live" GCN stream is compared to Eurosport on Sky. I'd be less inclined to get a GCN subscription if it turned out I was watching a couple of minutes behind everyone else.

So, question for those of us in Europe who were formerly Eurosport Player subscribers: Here in France we have been automatically switched over to Eurosport.fr, but with greatly reduced cycling coverage. (Eurosport was already cutting back last year...).

What's my best value for cycling coverage? GCN only? (If I understand correctly, what I can get on Eurosport.fr is the same as Discovery plus -- but I may not be correct.) I prefer streaming services that I can watch on my ipad while I use a trainer....

Thanks in advance!

I haven't seen any difference yet. In which regard has the coverage been reduced - cyclocross or road?
I would like to stay with Eurosport, now on the website, but then I watch several sports over the year, so for me at the current price it's worth it (especially since I don't own a tv). Unless they raise it significantly or reduce the program a lot.
I don't watch any documentaries or shows or things like that, only the live coverage of events, so I don't know about all the other stuff.

Thanks in advance!
Same thing happened in Italy, switched from Eurosport Player to Eurosport.it (website is less user friendly). I haven't noticed any reduction in coverage, although TDU doesn't offer Italian commentary thus far. CX season was widely covered.

I'm using neither so far, but it would be interesting to know indeed if Discovery+ has all the bonus channels as well. GCN covers all races they have the broadcasting rights for, even when they are not on Eurosport 1 or 2 - is this also the case for D+?

I haven't seen any difference yet. In which regard has the coverage been reduced - cyclocross or road?
I would like to stay with Eurosport, now on the website, but then I watch several sports over the year, so for me at the current price it's worth it (especially since I don't own a tv). Unless they raise it significantly or reduce the program a lot.
I don't watch any documentaries or shows or things like that, only the live coverage of events, so I don't know about all the other stuff.
Definitely less CX, and fewer smaller races, for example the satellite racing leading up to Lombardia. I am also not seeing the men's TDU, but I have the women's race...and the eurosport.fr site is rubbish; there is no tab for CX, among other things.

Definitely less CX, and fewer smaller races, for example the satellite racing leading up to Lombardia. I am also not seeing the men's TDU, but I have the women's race...and the eurosport.fr site is rubbish; there is no tab for CX, among other things.

Hm, don't know about the races before Lombardia anymore... wasn't watching a lot then, but I thought I did watch some of that... And the men's TDU is definitely there. Is there really a difference between France and Germany? Wouldn't have thought so. But maybe that's one of the effects of the change.

Discovery+ is showing both the world cup cross races in the schedule this weekend, plus another men’s race on Saturday. None of them are on Eurosport 1 or 2 broadcast channels via Sky in the UK. Tennis and winter sports priority. I guess they may still be on the Eurosport website for subscribers.

Last edited:
Hm, don't know about the races before Lombardia anymore... wasn't watching a lot then, but I thought I did watch some of that... And the men's TDU is definitely there. Is there really a difference between France and Germany? Wouldn't have thought so. But maybe that's one of the effects of the change.

It obviously depends on who has the rights in your country.

ES/GCN don't have the rights for the men's TDU in Denmark or France, but if I set my VPN to the Netherlands, then I think I can watch all the races they have, including all CX races. It might be the same for Germany.

It obviously depends on who has the rights in your country.

ES/GCN don't have the rights for the men's TDU in Denmark or France, but if I set my VPN to the Netherlands, then I think I can watch all the races they have, including all CX races. It might be the same for Germany.
Yes, probably a local rights issue. But I don't recall missing any key races on ES in the past few years, until 2022. It's not good that fans in a major cycling market like France do not have access to certain races on ES.

• Sad
Same thing happened in Italy, switched from Eurosport Player to Eurosport.it (website is less user friendly). I haven't noticed any reduction in coverage, although TDU doesn't offer Italian commentary thus far. CX season was widely covered.
I watch the app on my TV in The UK and it was also an automatic transition to Eurosport. but doesn't seem to any reduction in coverage so far. Both cyclocross races this weekend, San Juan and Mallorca on the schedule next week.

Is there any ability to record the coverage on either Discovery+ or GCN+ as otherwise I may as well stick with the small improvements from having Discovery+ app free as part of my Sky Q subscription over extra races on GCN+ mostly happening while I am working
Anything or gcn+ (and I assume Discovery+) is free to view at ones own leisure any time after the broadcast. I think it can be watched at least a year afterwards.

First race of the season, so much to discuss for Jez Cox, retirement, transfer, sponsorship, the year ahead.

I thought Blythe done reasonably well bringing Cox back on track at times, looking to limit the avian chat, but what can you do with a guy babbling on about the particulars of small sharks inside the last 25 km of a stage?

I think Jose would have been a better pick for the early races, she has a grasp of what’s happening in the cycling landscape and does her research, plus we learn about Dutch and Belgian cycling news through her.

Cox failed to prepare, even moaning about the early start in what should have been a privilege to lead the team into 2023, I just found it lazy with Jez feeling like a bland continuation of last year rather than the exciting dawn of a new season.

the commentators often mention how difficult it is to maintain fresh dialogue throughout the season but this was an open goal in terms of available talking points and it felt tired and sometimes awkward as the two guys are too different in nature to work well together.

It was irritating me by the end, the inability to focus on the race, the lack of research and knowledge, I’m finding the guy a really tough listen sadly.

I am starting to enjoy the French commentary - maybe it's because I don't understand everything, but like I've thought before they have a nice tone, not overdramatic, but with some appropriate verve.
The German commentators annoy me to death these days and the English ones aren't much better.

• Wow